Shehan Wilfred

Hi All,
First of all Merry Christmas to everyone. I am planning a trip to the Victorian high country in the next few days. My plan is to visit blue rag range viewpoint first and then camp at Mayford. My initial plan was to camp at the end of blue rag range track (by the river), however after some research, I found out it is quite small and the exit is very steep, hence why I chose Mayford. According to the map, I see the closest track I could take is the King Spur track, I did some research about it but couldn't really find much information about the track. I know the condition of the track changes frequently, but I am curious to know whether anyone has done it recently, if so, could someone shed some light on the condition of it? Is the track very steep? I also believe there is a river crossing to get to the campsite? According to the weather report there hasn't been much rainfall. so I guess the depth should be fine. Am running a snorkel but does not have extended diff breathers.

Cheers all.

peterfermtech

Did it a month ago in dry conditions. Track is pretty good. Bumpy at the top as in rocky. Bottom is steep as in you would want to think about it in the wet. River crossings are fine.
regards

Swaggie

Just be aware its only one way in and one way out...They bulldozed the small rocky ledges out (which is a damn shame on my opinion ) also some ferals burnt down the hut quite recently...

Don't forget to pack decent fly spray,dependant on the environment there's either going to be shitloads or not much at all...

Don't forget to sign the Parks book at the entrance on the way in.

Shehan Wilfred

Did it a month ago in dry conditions. Track is pretty good. Bumpy at the top as in rocky. Bottom is steep as in you would want to think about it in the wet. River crossings are fine.
regards
Thanks for the heads up mate ;).

Just be aware its only one way in and one way out...They bulldozed the small rocky ledges out (which is a damn shame on my opinion ) also some ferals burnt down the hut quite recently...

Don't forget to pack decent fly spray,dependant on the environment there's either going to be shitloads or not much at all...

Don't forget to sign the Parks book at the entrance on the way in.
Wow thanks for the tips, I actually forgot about fly spray. Will keep in mind to sign the park's book :D
Thanks again ;)

boobook

You'll have to cross 4 times from memory. The best camp spots are near the far end on the right.

If it rains when you're in there, you 'll have to sit it out or winch up.

Wondering if anyone has been to Mayford Recently and can comment on track conditions?

Also, hema maps show there's a connection from Dinner Plain Trackj across to the King Spur track to Mayford, however other maps show this as a walking track? Can anyone advise if you can drive in that way?

Swaggie

Wondering if anyone has been to Mayford Recently and can comment on track conditions?

Also, hema maps show there's a connection from Dinner Plain Trackj across to the King Spur track to Mayford, however other maps show this as a walking track? Can anyone advise if you can drive in that way?

Theyve made it fairly easy to get in there these days, although slow going along king spur because of rocks not steepness. Drops down towards the end into the valley.
Hut was burnt down by idiots a couple of years ago now.
Track to Dinner Plain has been shut for many years with trees across it Although it looks like oriole have tried to get back up it...

Just be aware of bush fires as it’s slow going getting in and out.

a1bert

I have old timers disease, is this the place where you are beside the river and look up at the ski lodges on Mt Hotham?
If so and it looks like it is going to rain, get out quick, i think my memory is returning of a bad experience o_O

boobook

If so and it looks like it is going to rain, get out quick, i think my memory is returning of a bad experience o_O

Oh yeah. 1 drop of rain, and get everything packed within 30 mins and get the hell out of there. Either that or be prepared to stay for a few days after the rain stops. The clay sections near the top of the first few rise sections are doozies when wet. I remember winching for 5 hours back up King Spur track one time after a long weekend of rain.

phs

You wouldn’t of wanted to traverse that track up to dinner plain ( mayford spur ) from all reports it was STEEP

We traversed our way out of there after a day of rain was ok but all fairly well experienced with HC terrain and diff locks

our biggest issue was the lack of fire wood and abundance of FLYS! never seen anything like it, it didn’t matter if it was rain hail or shine / even night they were relentless

Last edited:

a1bert

We checked the weather report before going in knowing what it would be like getting out if it rained, it was supposed to be 30 C and clear. But the next morning it started to pour, think we threw every thing together and started to drive out, first few cars ok the rest struggled due to the track cutting up,.I just remember there was a steep climb out
That was a few years back, maybe the track has improved since then?

You wouldn’t of wanted to traverse that track up to dinner plain ( mayford spur ) from all reports it was STEEP

We traversed our way out of there after a day of rain was ok but all fairly well experienced with HC terrain and diff locks

our biggest issue was the lack of fire wood and abundance of FLYS! never seen anything like it, it didn’t matter if it was rain hail or shine / even night they were relentless

Sounds like not a great place to camp even if the weather is fine if flies are that big an issue there. Think I've seen that mentioned elsewhere as well.

Bomber2012

I went down there about 18 months ago, the track was in good condition but as mentioned rain would make it a slow drive out . Over the river the track looked very overgrown with trees growing on the track , there wasn’t a lot of space down there to camp as bog holes (and they stunk) took up most of the cleared area . Yes the flies were bad , there are heaps of better places to camp in that area and I personally wouldn’t bother camping down there , if the weather looks ok it’s certainly worth the drive in to have a look but theres not a lot down there any more .