Camping advise on the Upper Murray River.

Grinner050

Feb 7 2021. As I live near the Murray River and camped at most camping areas upstream of Lake Hume and know a bit about the area I am quite willing to advise any person on river levels and camping ground conditions as well as the Mitta River. All the camps we go to are free camps and as such have limited facilities.

barcher

Plenty of good camp spots in the upper murray. Some good 4wd tracks south of Corryong also. Unfortunately most tracks have "Road Closed" signs. I'd like to think that that will change. Hopefully.

shaun0

Plenty of good camp spots in the upper murray. Some good 4wd tracks south of Corryong also. Unfortunately most tracks have "Road Closed" signs. I'd like to think that that will change. Hopefully.

Im sure Chairman Dan will keep them closed for years by the looks of it.

boobook

Do you think an off road campervan ( Tvan) could be taken to the Poplars and back out safely? I am reasonably experienced in towing across the high country. Say on Limestone Creek Track or McCarthys?

Sam for Kings Plain track?

barcher

If it was me, I'd leave the trailer at Limestone creek camp and "day trip" Kings plain and the Poplars.
Limestone creek is a nice camp.
@mikehzz may have been in this area recently.

boobook

If it was me, I'd leave the trailer at Limestone creek camp and "day trip" Kings plain and the Poplars.
Limestone creek is a nice camp.
@mikehzz may have been in this area recently.

Thanks, the point would be to camp down on the river for a few days though. The track from Limestone creek track to poplars doesn't look steep from what I can see.

I should add, for reference, with my setup and capability, towing up or down Wombat Range, or Station Track towing in the dry is about as steep as I would feel comfortable with - provided I take an extra roll of toilet paper with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: dgm

barcher

Can't recall anything too difficult, a few places where it's steep and loose.
My confidence with a trailer on steep tracks is not very high.