Campervan with family of 4 may be stranded for 2 weeks after getting bogged.

Albynsw

Road closed ? More FB fake news....all roads are currently open in the Simpson.

They did close the road but that was after they were on it so were legally allowed to be on it

Depends on your insurance if they were covered, a lot if the mainstream insurers only cover you when on a designated road which they weren’t

CTL

A mate has driven an older, single cab version of the same truck, with a camper on the back, all over Oz. He reckons that it will be able to be driven back out once the ground dries out. Guess it could be if it hasn’t bellied out or dug huge holes with wheel spin.

Albynsw

A mate has driven an older, single cab version of the same truck, with a camper on the back, all over Oz. He reckons that it will be able to be driven back out once the ground dries out. Guess it could be if it hasn’t bellied out or dug huge holes with wheel spin.
Hopefully the diffs are not glued in the mud

TimNWVic

This is a genuine question in case it ever happens to me, not taking the piss or trying to be smart...

Once it's dried out a bit couldn't you just jack it up wheel by wheel and get something under the wheels to clear the diffs/underbody? Fill in the trenches between the wheels, add maxtracks, drive out? Maybe winch off a buried spare if needed. Yeah it'd be hard work, but doable without paying for a recovery surely?

From the images it looks like they are currently in a wet spot, colour of the ground looks like it might be a bit drier just ahead of them, maybe slightly higher ground that they were headed for before giving up.

High 30s/low 40s and windy up there the next few days should dry it out a bit. Reckon they are a bit soft and pulled the pin early (I'm kidding - they had kids with them, made the right call).

I guess they'll need to do it fairly quickly or it will be unreachable due to summer heat through until autumn.

sharkcaver

Hopefully the diffs are not glued in the mud
Looks pretty glued in to me
Clipboard01.jpg

sharkcaver

This is a genuine question in case it ever happens to me, not taking the piss or trying to be smart...

Reckon they are a bit soft and pulled the pin early (I'm kidding - they had kids with them, made the right call).
I have read they only had 4 days supply of water/food on board. No idea as to its accuracy.
Why you would do a solo desert crossing in a 6T+ truck with only 4 days supply is beyond me?

With the above attached pic in mind, once the glue dries, a bit of shovel work, some traction aids and maybe even some winching (the spare is out ready to be dug in), she'll pop out easy enough.

monbeg

I was up that way and camped on a private property during that weather.
Apart from the weather reports via BOM etc it was blatantly obvious that there was severe weather on the way.
The forecast I was given said 20 to 60mm of rain, thunderstorms with hail and winds upt to 90 km/hr.

In my uneducated opinion you would have to be a friggin idiot to head out where they did when even the look of the sky was warning enough.

The track into where I was and I knew what was coming so I stayed put.
IMG_2397.jpg

muffin man

Oodnadatta didn't get a drop...outback it's the risk we all take. We got stuck in Birdsville in 2010 for the races. The only year it had been cancelled pre covid. Thousands were caught out...it happens.

LongRoad2Go

If I were them, considering the wide news coverage this little misadventure got, I'd be really worried the only thing left of it will be a burnt out carcass. The local vultures are likely to descend on it pretty quickly.

G_ute

Yeah, that would be heartbreaking for the owners. Such vehicles can have a lot of attachment.
As bad as having your home trashed (it might be their home)

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Maybe the couple could sell their story to highest bidder in media. Story would sell well to Overseas media who love talking about the wild animals and the dangerous wilderness of Australia. Sauce it up like wild desert people waiting to get you in 70 degree heat, etc etc. That would pay for recovery cost and maybe a new truck.
I did a Black Saturday video about my daughter and kids caught in the fires. It was taken up by an English TV SERIES in England that featured catastrophes around the world.

smitty_r51

Once it's dried out a bit couldn't you just jack it up wheel by wheel and get something under the wheels to clear the diffs/underbody? Fill in the trenches between the wheels, add maxtracks, drive out? Maybe winch off a buried spare if needed. Yeah it'd be hard work, but doable without paying for a recovery surely?

From the images it looks like they are currently in a wet spot, colour of the ground looks like it might be a bit drier just ahead of them, maybe slightly higher ground that they were headed for before giving up.

High 30s/low 40s and windy up there the next few days should dry it out a bit. Reckon they are a bit soft and pulled the pin early (I'm kidding - they had kids with them, made the right call).

I guess they'll need to do it fairly quickly or it will be unreachable due to summer heat through until autumn.
We had similar in the weld River area in Tassie, issue was the suction of the mud on the bash plates, we got out after 9 hours of digging only because someone came past and could give us a snatch to break that surface tension.

There is a recent 4wd24x7 in the Kimberley where they get a 70 stuck in similar conditions that they did just that Jack it up, break the seal then try and move it enough that when it comes off the jack it is less stuck then repeat.

Triton14

Thats a pretty heavy truck but maybe in a instance like your suggesting patriot an exhaust jack could help better than something like a high lift jack that would sink??