Camper Trailer to the Cape

dstanp

Taking my IFS Dual Cab to the cape in June/July.
Do I change the six stud hubs on my Kimberley Kamper to match the IFS five stud pattern?
Currently he campers track (1410mm) is very close to the cruiser's , by changing to five stud hubs and wheels the track of the camper is then 80mm out.
Is matching the track of tow vehicle and trailer that critical when going to the cape?
I could space the wheels to bring the track back closer to the Cruiser's track. But considering the cost of the whole modifications I debate if its worth having all wheels and tyres the same.
The camper has Cooper 265/70 ATR's but not the same size as the Cruiser will have 285/75 MTZ.
Appreciate any input

Cheers Dave

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
I would at very least match the tyre sizes and carry some tyre levers and big hammer and drift. Driving in sand you notice the differant track but on rougher slow rutted tracks, it's debatable.

4x4junki

I would at very least match the tyre sizes and carry some tyre levers and big hammer and drift. Driving in sand you notice the differant track but on rougher slow rutted tracks, it's debatable.
Yeah i'm with Frosty, i would change tyre size so as to only be carrying the one size spare, and i don't think the wheel track will be much of an issue up there. Good luck with the trip and be sure and post the pics

kruzaman

Hi Dave, We have towed camper trailers on both of our cape trips the first with our Track and the second with our Kimberly trailer. Tyres where never a problem, the cape is more sandy then gibber type rocks so if you run good quality tyre you will be OK. Also there is now heaps of places that do repairs so you wont be far from help. I think you will find the corrugation will causes more grief. I have a small roll of tools that fit the main nuts and bolts under our car which I keep under the seat and while the boss cooks the coffee I roll under the cruiser and trailer and check shocks, mounts, fuel hoses and a general gander.
You will have a ball wish we where going with you.
Lee and Nicole.