Camp Knife Recommendations

MrMiller

The best bang for buck knives I’ve ever used would be the good old Victorinox range of chefs knives. I’ve had many knives over the years as I’ve been a chef for 20 of them. My knives I don’t like to baby like some do. I’ve seen chefs buy a $350 Japanese Damascus steel knife and treat it like their first born. I use them like they are tools. I don’t abuse them unnecessarily, but I for damn sure don’t baby them. They are tools at the end of the day. I’ve found the particular brand I like for cooking, but for a really good knock around that won’t break the bank, holds an edge forever, not too difficult to sharpen, is heeless to make sharpening easier, over the steel or stone and are probably one of the most durable I’ve ever used. You can’t go past a victorinox. I’ve had a few kicking about in my kit for years.

cam04

I got this one off the old man also. Carbon steel genuine Chinese chopper. When I was a kid 45 years ago I watched him cut the door lock out of our Austin Tasman with it - he’s a chef, not a mechanic haha. I was demonstrating to the kids why I wouldn’t let them use it not long ago. I hit a pumpkin to split it and the plastic cutting board fell in two bits. Father of the year strikes again. They are an unforgiving knife.
47DDC1DE-4EF3-4372-9255-B516A72E08DA.jpeg

LongRoad2Go

I couldn't care less about 'brands'. The best knife is the one you have at the moment, that is, save your hard earned money.

If you want to fillet a fish or butcher a beast, then the requisite knives are necessary. Cut wood? Use a saw/axe/tomahawk/chainsaw, NOT a knife i.e. you wouldn't (or shouldn't ;)) use a hammer to tighten a nut?

(Observation: a lot of people get drawn in by YouTube videos of the 'best' knives. Forget the bullshit and do research on stockmen's gear.)

That being said, Mora and Mundial are good and sharp - their resharpening ability is perhaps okay.

Old school carbon steel is proven. I inherited homemade knives from my Dad - old industrial hacksaw blades over 80 years old, sharp as all f---k and hard to blunt but easily sharpened ... and LOTS of character.

You really only need a few special purpose ones depending on your uses: fillet, skin, butchers, boner, chopper, (hacksaw does the bones), cooks, paring, and the all-purpose one on your belt - which should be a 2-3 bladed stockman's knife. (The biggest blade can be used as a pig sticker.)

The luckiest find would be in a boot, deceased estate, antique sale - absolutely the best. Try rural produce stores - they tend not to carry shit.

Put it this way: modern blades are manufactured on the 'break it, buy a new one' principle. Old blades were based on 'my life may depend on it' principle.

amg306

Can anyone recommend a good pocket knife that will hold its edge chef knives? looking for a single folding blade 3" or so.
To be used for general farm duties cutting string silage bags etc

Last edited:

Albynsw

Can anyone recommend a good pocket knife that will hold its edge? looking for a single folding blade 3" or so.

I have been using a leatherman for what you want and very happy with it. Nice and compact and light too

cam04

I have been using a leatherman for what you want and very happy with it. Nice and compact and light too
Agree. I’ve had the same leather man wave for 25 years. If I had to choose a single tool to come on any adventure it is always packed first. And a great serrated rope knife included.

G_ute

The Opinel is a great camping/picnic knife and not 'intimidating'
My wife loves using it.
Wicked sharp too.

I usually take a Leatherman ChargeTTI and Kershaw Cryo. But the Charge is heavy and I am thinking of getting a Skeletool but they have not updated it in a long time. The pliers look a bit flimsy.

Kegs1972

we keep it minimal with 2 winchesters, a smaller one as a steak knife (only one of us needs it) and a larger one for meal prep... compact and easy.

McGinnis

My daughter bought me this one and because it is so compact and light it just stays on you all the time https://leatherman.com.au/collections/knives/products/skeletool-kbx-black-and-silver

I had to hand my last one over at the airport customs as I forgot I had it on my when boarding a flight :eek:

Had the same thing happen, couldn't bear to let mine go (a leatherman supertool) - ended up hiding it in the carpark outside the terminal until I flew back in - it was still there when I came back!

Petunia

Can anyone recommend a good pocket knife that will hold its edge chef knives? looking for a single folding blade 3" or so.
A pocket knife by Henry Boker of germany will serve you well. Damn fine steel in them. A 3 blade has a veterinary blade, honed well they hold an edge that you can shave after cutting baler string.:cool:

peterfermtech

If you are anything like me I wouldn't be spending much as it will most likely end up lost. Even cheap knifes can be pretty good. Just carry a small medium course stone and dress the blade every now and then.

John U

Seems a bit over the top for the job but would do it well
Looks like leathermam are no longer making this model but it’s still available at Anaconda.

Albynsw

Does anyone use all the other gadgets? I am only interested in a blade and will go and get a pair of pliers, screwdriver or scissors out if needed.

John U

Does anyone use all the other gadgets? I am only interested in a blade and will go and get a pair of pliers, screwdriver or scissors out if needed.
100%.
I’ve got a spyderco knife. It has held its edge for 5 years. Has an orange handle so I’m less likely to lose it. Brilliant for my purposes. Don’t know how it’d hold of to hard and regular farm work.

Swaggie

You know if you don’t buy one with all the tools on it you’ll need them .;)

BUT

On the other hand If you do buy one with all the bells and whistles on it you’ll never use them :oops::D

I’m pretty sure Murphy can fact check my Statement
:p:D:D

cam04

Yes, flying around in choppers doing construction and maintenance my wave has had a difficult time. Being weight dependent we were often caught short for tools.
The wire strippers/cutters are worn out from cutting fencing wire that it had no business cutting. The pliers have loosened somewhat from suffering similar abuse but are still serviceable, the file has sharpened 10 thousand hooks, the lock on the knife broke a while back using it as a chisel removing a door lock, the Philips #2 bit drive is burring off - finally.
It has repaired light fittings in NZ, pulled apart lighthouses to jump start choppers, repaired kayaks and bikes in the middle of nowhere, sneakily opened governors on charter boat throttles, got lost for a year in a salt water boat bilge - a week in diesel and I got it going again. The rope cutting blade (serrated) has been ‘touched up’ by yours truly a couple of times - incorrectly.
The wave model I have has been superseded and if I send it in for a free repair (lifetime warranty), they will just replace it but it is sentimental to me for a number of reasons so I’ll just keep it going with all its ‘memories’ intact. I don’t ever really use it at home but it travels with me everywhere.

peterfermtech

I broke the tip off the blade on my leatherman trying to open a coconut but it still survived the campfire wood pile that caught on fire although I couldn't find the leather pouch.