Camp Knife Recommendations

MrMiller

The best bang for buck knives I’ve ever used would be the good old Victorinox range of chefs knives. I’ve had many knives over the years as I’ve been a chef for 20 of them. My knives I don’t like to baby like some do. I’ve seen chefs buy a $350 Japanese Damascus steel knife and treat it like their first born. I use them like they are tools. I don’t abuse them unnecessarily, but I for damn sure don’t baby them. They are tools at the end of the day. I’ve found the particular brand I like for cooking, but for a really good knock around that won’t break the bank, holds an edge forever, not too difficult to sharpen, is heeless to make sharpening easier, over the steel or stone and are probably one of the most durable I’ve ever used. You can’t go past a victorinox. I’ve had a few kicking about in my kit for years.

cam04

I got this one off the old man also. Carbon steel genuine Chinese chopper. When I was a kid 45 years ago I watched him cut the door lock out of our Austin Tasman with it - he’s a chef, not a mechanic haha. I was demonstrating to the kids why I wouldn’t let them use it not long ago. I hit a pumpkin to split it and the plastic cutting board fell in two bits. Father of the year strikes again. They are an unforgiving knife.
47DDC1DE-4EF3-4372-9255-B516A72E08DA.jpeg

LongRoad2Go

I couldn't care less about 'brands'. The best knife is the one you have at the moment, that is, save your hard earned money.

If you want to fillet a fish or butcher a beast, then the requisite knives are necessary. Cut wood? Use a saw/axe/tomahawk/chainsaw, NOT a knife i.e. you wouldn't (or shouldn't ;)) use a hammer to tighten a nut?

(Observation: a lot of people get drawn in by YouTube videos of the 'best' knives. Forget the bullshit and do research on stockmen's gear.)

That being said, Mora and Mundial are good and sharp - their resharpening ability is perhaps okay.

Old school carbon steel is proven. I inherited homemade knives from my Dad - old industrial hacksaw blades over 80 years old, sharp as all f---k and hard to blunt but easily sharpened ... and LOTS of character.

You really only need a few special purpose ones depending on your uses: fillet, skin, butchers, boner, chopper, (hacksaw does the bones), cooks, paring, and the all-purpose one on your belt - which should be a 2-3 bladed stockman's knife. (The biggest blade can be used as a pig sticker.)

The luckiest find would be in a boot, deceased estate, antique sale - absolutely the best. Try rural produce stores - they tend not to carry shit.

Put it this way: modern blades are manufactured on the 'break it, buy a new one' principle. Old blades were based on 'my life may depend on it' principle.