Camp Knife Recommendations

madmonk

I have a small axe, several small folding knives and a machete in my camping gear already but am looking for a knife that is suitable for general all-round use at the camp site. The ideal knife would have a fixed blade with a cutting edge between 100 and 150 mm (4" and 6"), a full Scandi grind, a 90-degree spine, a full tang and no more that $150. It would be used for food preparation, firewood processing and general cutting duties.

I am interested to hear what brands people carry and what they think of them.

Paddler Ed

We have a carbon steel Mora that comes with us, mate put a really nice edge on it (could shave his leg with it...) and it only cost us about £20 some 12 years ago.

This is it, just in a nice stop your mate's walking off with it colour:
http://www.cuttingedgeknives.com.au/product_details.php?page=1&pID=17645

They're only a 3/4 tang, but a fraction of the cost that you were looking at...
https://morakniv.se/en/product/companion-mg-carbon-steel/?v=6cc98ba2045f
https://www.arborgreen.com.au/product/1988-bahco-mora-knife (another avoid losing it colour)

Personally, I also like the range of knives and axes from these guys:
http://dahlgrentrading.com/products/

You'll need to find the local reseller, but they should have something for you. (Eka have some 4"+ Full tang knives in their catalogue)

Good luck!

Triton14

It would be used for food preparation, firewood processing and general cutting duties.
So your going to process firewood with the same knife you want to prep food with o_O

I mean I am a chef so probably think different about knives but apart from cooking I also 'process' game animals when Im out so I carry a knife roll with 4 knives & a diamond steel- 20-30cm chefs knife, 25cm filleting knife, 17cm boning knife 7cm paring knife(all blade length).
They are mainly knives I have retired from my professional career & not that phased about breaking them but would probably cost $150 to replace all 4 with new similar versions.
Stores like Victoria's basement or Peters of Kensington do great deals on knives/set that would be ideal for a bush set.

If you want a knock about knife that you can hit with a hammer to get kindling well Id be looking more at a small hatchet, if it was going to be a knife then something cheap like this would do me-
https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Gerber-Be...Whistle-FireStar/23031267037?iid=292510970551

I have so many knives but apart from my small kit for cooking this is what I usually take with me on a trip

the hunting knives.jpg

cam04

My current favourite camping kitchen knives are cheap Aldi ceramic blades. Without question the sharpest knives I have ever used - they are stupid sharp. I have nice (antique Lyon sabattier carbon etc) kitchen knives - I inherited some of the old man’s chef’s knives - but I am happy to leave them at home for the time being. I don’t have the ability to hone an edge anywhere near as sharp as ceramics straight out of the box. How long they last is another question.

madmonk

Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up buying a Mora Companion.... well three actually; one with a stainless steel blade, the second with a carbon steel blade and the third in carbon steel again but with a thicker blade. Looking forward to having a decent knife in my camp kit and learning how to properly maintain and sharpen it :)

Triton14

Get yourself a diamond steel & just work out your angles & sharpen them after each use, even during the use as well.
If ypu keep them sharp then you never need to use a stone.
I have not needed to stone a knife in 20 years or more since buyinh a diamond steel.
If your going to get a stone the Japanese ones are the.best imo
Never needed one but those Lansky systems are good to.
https://lansky.com/index.php/products/3-stone-standard-diamond-system/

Last edited:

JennaKravitz

I see wonderful knives here! Yes, of course, in this case, you definitely need a knife. It seems to me that a knife is always needed. Both for certain purposes, and, for example, for self-defense. Knives can also be collectible, so they are useful in any case. About recommendations. I think I saw the model you need at the damascussteel. store . By the way, I have kitchen knives, camping knives, and even collectible blades. The most important thing in camp knives is that the blade is relatively short and thin. So now you know more about it

Last edited:

boobook

My current favourite camping kitchen knives are cheap Aldi ceramic blades. Without question the sharpest knives I have ever used - they are stupid sharp. I have nice (antique Lyon sabattier carbon etc) kitchen knives - I inherited some of the old man’s chef’s knives - but I am happy to leave them at home for the time being. I don’t have the ability to hone an edge anywhere near as sharp as ceramics straight out of the box. How long they last is another question.

Ceramic knifes are very sharp and stay sharp. Kyocera are the best, but are a bit more expensive. Their downside is that they are so hard they chip very easily. Drop them, hit a bone etc and they are gone. Great knives but I'd never take them camping, they'd get too knocked around.

Last edited:

SirDrinksalott

Bumping this thread, I am after a camping knife <$100 and probably from BCF or some outlet.

What should I be looking out for and any recommendations or at least warnings?

It wont get used too often but I was thinking something I could bash through smaller logs (I have Hatchet, Axe and Machete) and also something that can hold an edge? Probably prefer a holder than a folding blade, I have a couple smaller blades.

Thanks

cam04

Get yourself a diamond steel & just work out your angles & sharpen them after each use, even during the use as well.
If ypu keep them sharp then you never need to use a stone.
I have not needed to stone a knife in 20 years or more since buyinh a diamond steel.
If your going to get a stone the Japanese ones are the.best imo
Never needed one but those Lansky systems are good to.
https://lansky.com/index.php/products/3-stone-standard-diamond-system/
The problem with all these new ‘camping’ knives that can also process timber (whatever that is) is the heels are like Japanese knives and they dont lend themselves to being steeled. Like you I use a steel on everything so things like the Japanese knife I was gifted tend to go into permanent storage around here. Chef’s knives may look boring on Insta but they are tried and proven and shaped that way for a reason. If I caught anyone ‘processing timber’ with one of my knives there would be strife.

Triton14

If I caught anyone ‘processing timber’ with one of my knives there would be strife.
I think is ok to have a knock about camping knife amongst your collection.
Mind you I wouldn't pay a lot for it because you know your going to punish it.

At the end of the day they are a tool & each one has a purpose.

I have actually added a chopper & bone saw my knife role, again for a specific purpose & always carry a manchette, hatchet & chainsaw when Im away.

Ive added a couple of new folders to my collection since the above picture was taken, I keep telling myself I dont need any more knives but it doesnt seem to work :oops: :)