Change background image

Cameron's Corner-Innaminka-Birdsville

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by Ranger_Scott, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Ranger_Scott

Ranger_Scott Member

Anyone travelled this route since the rain in June? Heading off in a fortnight and just wondering how the tracks are. Been keeping an eye on the SA roads website every so often.

Also, is it feasible to do Tibobburra-Innaminka and Innaminka-Birdsville (via Cordillo) each in a day?

2. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Yes, easily. I actually drove Birdsville to Tibooburra in a day back in May, but I didn’t go via Cameron Corner, and as I’ve been in the area a few times before, I didn’t stop for much.

@1 red gu might be able to give you up to date info on road conditions. He only got back from a Simpson Desert crossing a couple of days ago.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018 at 2:56 PM
  3. Boots33

Boots33 Member

We did the Cordillo Downs track on our way home from the Bash a couple of weeks ago. It had only just reopened after the rain, only the southern section was affected by the rain. It was a bit rough in places, corrugated and some wheel ruts to watch for but overall we still made good time. Once you cross the border into qld it was very smooth going. We overnighted on the track as we were taking in the sights but you could easilly do the birdsville to innaminka trip in a day.

Mr Rum likes this.
  4. Ranger_Scott

Ranger_Scott Member

Thanks guys, looks a relative smooth trip! Boots, did you stop off at the shearing shed? Have heard conflicting stories about access. Everything from the owners discouraging visitors to some saying they can walk around and through it no problems.

5. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

I visited the shearing shed on my way through. You can walk around it, and sort of into one end (you’ll know what I mean when you get there).
    You have to park outside the fence that’s probably 50-100m away. There’s pedestrian access next to an information board under a shelter.
    I’ll see what photos I have when I get home.

richardlnsw likes this.
  6. Toddyh

Toddyh Well-Known Member

No problem with access to look at the shed. Just no camping in the vicinity.

7. Boots33

Boots33 Member

The Cadelga Ruins are well worth a look too, you will get some great drone shots there if you have one.

Mr Rum likes this.
  8. greysrigging

greysrigging Well-Known Member

Or instead of camping at Innaminka, a short detour puts you at the Burke and Wills 'Dig Tree'. Good camping spot on the Coopers, an honesty box for the camp fees, a display and information shack.....its on Nappa Merrie Station. There is a long drop dunny and a water tap at the display shack. The place is stripped bare of even the smallest skerrick of firewood so bring in your own. or be prepared to walk many klms along the creek searching ( as I did ). I was there in late Oct 2015, extremely hot over 40c but I had the place all to myself for 2 days.....Ahhhh the serenity....
    http://www.findacamp.com.au/camp-site.php?camp=1663
    20151028_053422.jpg 20151027_152304.jpg

richardlnsw likes this.
  9. Boots33

Boots33 Member

Yep the Dig Tree was another overnight-er for us, lovely spot but not so much serenity as it was also a popular spot for others leaving the Bash. We expected this though so were not bothered by it. We still managed to get a spot with a good view of the water. Stick to the dirt areas at the moment the burs and prickles are like a carpet in the lesser used areas.

10. Ranger_Scott

Ranger_Scott Member

Was thinking of just camping at the pub at Innaminka as I plan on supporting the local economy by having a few ales and take the night off from cooking for a countery. Will be visiting the dig tree as a side trip too. Also noticed that the track out to Coongie Lakes has finally been re-opened.

Will be taking enough firewood from home for a few campfires along the way.

richardlnsw and Mr Rum like this.
  11. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Haha, sorry about that. There was a little bit (and I really do mean a little bit) around on the 7th (or was it the 8th) of October that year, but I used it to cook (read “burn”) Jen a birthday cake.
    Almost gave up on the idea of a fire, and then the insane wind knocked a branch out of a tree, and it shattered into convienient sized pieces when it hit the ground.

Only stayed one night, and didn’t see anyone else. Should be nice now. I’d expect there’d still be a bit of water in the creek at the moment.

EDIT: Never mind me, it was actually October 2014 that we were there..
    Earth-7684.JPG

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    greysrigging likes this.
  12. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Moderator

Cullyamurra Waterhole is also a beautiful spot just out of Innamincka if you change your mind. But the pub sounds fine too!!!!!

Mr Rum, Rags90mod and Toddyh like this.
  13. Ranger_Scott

Ranger_Scott Member

Was going to air down tyres to around 30.... good starting point?

14. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Moderator

Depending on your weight etc but in the Prado I generally go to 28 once I hit the outback gravel roads, has always seemed to be to best for me.

Mr Rum and Toddyh like this.
  15. Boots33

Boots33 Member

We came through with no tyre problems on 30 . We were pretty well loaded up and had a forward fold camper in tow as well.

Don't drive like it is a race is the best advice, that way you have time to enjoy the trip as well as time to react to the unexpected.

richardlnsw likes this.
  16. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Funny that’s your go to.
    Mine is 27, but that’s only because the first time I was aiming for 28, I went a little too far on the first tyre, so I did the others to match.
    1 psi makes little difference in the grand scheme of things, but I’ve gone with 27 ever since.:D

richardlnsw likes this.
  17. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Mines 26 -28 out there in the cruiser when loaded and seems perfect for my truck. Takes out all the harshness of the corro's and helps the tyres with stones/rocks they may encounter.
    I normally sit on around 80-90 kmh when possible and alway drive to conditions.

The old strez is always a nice run up to Innaminka when coming from the "Corner Store".

Never had a bad night or feed at the Innaminka pub and well worth the stop over imo.

richardlnsw, Albynsw and Mr Rum like this.
  18. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    Had too much fun there last year though, and the morning after wasn’t as much fun.

Didn’t learn my lesson either, because I had a similar experience at the Family Hotel in Tibooburra this year.[​IMG]

Great hospitality in that part of the country.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    richardlnsw and 80lover96gxl like this.
  19. greysrigging

greysrigging Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had a great session at both those Tibooburra pubs in 2015. I was swagging it at the caravan park and it was a looong walk back after closing time.

richardlnsw and Mr Rum like this.
  20. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

That must be the caravan park I had to walk back to the pub from.
    I thought a room at the pub would mean I could have an early night, but I got talking to some locals, and next thing I’m at the other pub. When it closed, I got invited back to their place for a couple more drinks. They had work the next morning, so I eventually had to leave, but I didn’t realise how far I’d walked until I had to find my way back into town.
    Jen wasn’t with me, and I was making little videos for her. So I have some interesting clips of myself making jokes as I walked along the road dodging road trains. I don’t think the video would go down well on here (not very politically correct), but I did have a chuckle as I walked past the Mount Wood turnoff.:D
    Think I got back to my room at the pub around 00:30.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    richardlnsw likes this.