Camera that can take 1 pic per second indefinately

Patriot

Administrator
Hello,

I have played around with Photosynth a bit and and want to bit more playing around with it.

Want I want to get is a camera that I can set to take a photo every 1 - 5 seconds. The resolution doesn't need to be too high. 1 megapixel would be fine.

Does anyone have any ideas about something that would fit the bill?

Cheers,

James

rodw

Mr SLR will take 3.5 frames per second, but I don't think you can program it for timelapse for a defined time period.

My camcorder might do it. It has a timelapse mode, but not sure if it can be used in photo mode or just in video mode.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Agree with RodW and also recommend a web cam. Web cam's can be set up to do timed exposures like one image every 5, 10, 20, 30 seconds and upload to a location on the web or local system

Patriot

Administrator
My old Kodak 290 could be programmed for it, and connected to a PC so it could do things like 1 photo every 5 minutes. I haven't seen many modern cameras that can do that :(

James

rodw

My old Kodak 290 could be programmed for it, and connected to a PC so it could do things like 1 photo every 5 minutes. I haven't seen many modern cameras that can do that :(

James

Jeez, I threw a 290 out the other day. Sory Patriot :mad:

monk2

Hi James the ball and chain just got a new camera its an olympus E620 and she says it will do something like that once set

Nickj

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
James, did you want it for surveilance?
There is some software I got a while ago that would do this with a webcam. Our dog was having puppies and I took a pic every 5 mins and ftp to web. You could set it for any interval.

Nick

Patriot

Administrator
What I want to do is mount it on the truck and then take a heap of photos of the track, then stitch them together with Photosynth for a 3D view of the track. I just want to be able to dirve up the tack without having to worry about taking photos. Kind of a Microsoft version of streetview, except better :)

James

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
You need RodW set up. You could web cam as you go and download later. I don't know of a product off hand but there were web cams a couple of years ago that would do that because they doubled as a camera

rodw

You need RodW set up. You could web cam as you go and download later. I don't know of a product off hand but there were web cams a couple of years ago that would do that because they doubled as a camera

You'll need more than that. You're an IT Guy Patriot. You'll also need a computer controlled revolving mount, maybe driven by an Arduino which are heaps of fun
YouTube - Arduino Stepper Control Rig

You can get them from Littlebird Electronics Little Bird Electronics Australia — Welcome
I got one here to go into my car PC one day...

Some come on, brush up on your C programming and get cracking!

EDIT: Oh an dI am pretty sure you can get the Arduino to control a Nikon by the remote control

rodw

Here is your Arduino trigger for the Nikon SLR
926192_6275_0.jpg

See: Arduino Nikon Infrared Intervalometer - New Projects in Blogs

Here is a single Arduino controlling a stepper, motor and a servo using LadyADa's motor shield which plugs onto the Arduino.
581346_2237992158_d1be17779d_b.jpg

See: Motor Shield - Arduino motor/stepper/servo control

Piece of P!ss for a talented guy like you. You should be able to rig up a dual axis stepper and the IR Nikon trigger and drive them off a single Arduino for less than $100.

The Arduino is open source, the boards you see are basically the same controller, just built differently.

Patriot

Administrator
Hey Rod, cool setup. I would have 2 chances of replicating that, buckleys and none! But luckily I know a couple of guys who would be up for it.

Bmurray, still in the planning stage. Got a busy couple of months coming up so hoping to go out late Nov, early December :( Will probably be the first chance to get it all together and get out to test it. Hoping to do Flats Track.

James

rodw

Hey Rod, cool setup. I would have 2 chances of replicating that, buckleys and none! But luckily I know a couple of guys who would be up for it.

James

No mate, anyone can do it! the Aduino Playground tells you all you need to know to get started and their forum is very good.

Here is me playing around with mine:

341820_DSC_3636.jpg

I am planning on adding it to my car PC to do a few jobs, but I have been distracted for a while. For what you want to do, there are probably some prebuilt shields with all the electronics, you just need to write a few lines of code..

rodw

Cool, now we just got to find him a stepper motor setup so the camera can look around.

benting88

There's a far simpler solution. (though a bit pricey if you don't have an SLR)

Buy pretty much any SLR, and purchase a remote shutter control for it. These can be picked up on ebay for around $40-50 extra.

Timer Remote Shutter Cord for Nikon D90 D5000 as MC-DC2 - eBay, Other Cameras, Accessories, Cameras. (end time 15-Feb-10 23:01:46 AEDST)

With one of these, you can set the number of photos you want (I know you said indefinitely, but memory will be a limiting factor, and the interval, i'm pretty sure.

I've got the exact same model on a 40D and 5D mark II, but I haven't used it for what you specified.