Buying an excavator

dno67

Maybe lol, he has done a fair few gabion walls before and I am not good enough to do the fine detail work so it has worked out well
I know his work, l we follow each other on insta. Iol
Dose some real nice work.
Looking good.
You got a bucket manufacturer in mind for the tilt job ?

Albynsw

I know his work, l we follow each other on insta. Iol
Dose some real nice work.
Looking good.
You got a bucket manufacturer in mind for the tilt job ?

Ha ha fancy that, yes he is a very neate worker, his dams and horse yards etc are mint. I will probably get the bucket from Roo Buckets as they are closer but there is Betta Bilt or Sydney buckets as well to choose from
Thinking this one or the size down as I assume they are heavy https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/123686152652

dno67

Ha ha fancy that, yes he is a very neate worker, his dams and horse yards etc are mint. I will probably get the bucket from Roo Buckets as they are closer but there is Betta Bilt or Sydney buckets as well to choose from
Thinking this one or the size down as I assume they are heavy https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/123686152652
There's a few others that might be worth checking before pulling the pin.
Bucket master, spoken with this bloke more than once and his been very helpful.
Tiger buckets, knock out a pretty good bit of gear. There's quite a few of there buckets on machines down here. Look for one with a good spoil gaurd, to stop anything falling backwards and damaging the rams. Counter sunk plow bolts on the cutting edge is another great choice if you have it. I wouldn't worry to much about the weight, just load it a bit less if its heavy material. You may find a smaller bucket easier to overload more often, especially if it very wet material.
Anyway look forward to more pics mate, its all coming along nicely.

dno67

Yep their a handy bit of gear but you could buy a 2nd hand digger for the price of one, lol.
Yer mate, there was an 8t ex hi rail fitted with either an engcon or steelwrist with moderate hours (about 9000) from memory
Advertised in the high 30s buy it now.
Basically a give away.. don't think it lasted the day. Was missing the rail wheels but still had part of the frames fitted.
Someone got themselves a bagain. Although l don't think a retro fit set up would be cheap on a used tilt rotator if swapping it over to another machine.

80lover96gxl

Yer mate, there was an 8t ex hi rail fitted with either an engcon or steelwrist with moderate hours (about 9000) from memory
Advertised in the high 30s buy it now.
Basically a give away.. don't think it lasted the day. Was missing the rail wheels but still had part of the frames fitted.
Someone got themselves a bagain. Although l don't think a retro fit set up would be cheap on a used tilt rotator if swapping it over to another machine.
Yeah someone did alright out of that purchase mate. It would likely be an expensive exercise to fit to another machine but provided it was in decent Nik, and you maintained it well after 12mths you would have forgotten all about that expense and I'd say be pretty happy with your decision I reckon mate.

Albynsw

B3B476B5-0805-4911-AC3C-FDD4954B0A8B.jpeg

:):):):):)

G_ute

"Digging" up an old thread here but I wanted to ask if anyone has experience of the various Chinese mini-diggers now on the market.
I am looking in the 1.7T to 3T range and it seems that you can get a new Chinese one with all the implments I need (auger, log grab, etc) for the price of a well used Kubota/Cat/Hitachi or similar, with maybe a bucket or two (i.e. lots of hours)
This is just for my small farm use, no contracting.
I have seen UHI, Rhino, Sany, 'whatever' branded units. Some with actual Kubota or Yanmar engines.
And like the the current car market, the prices are up there for new and second hand Japanese mini excavators.

Worth the risk going for Chinese or should I wait for the market to settle down and save up for a Japanese/Korean/USA unit? (Many of which are probably using some Chinese components)

Last edited:

Albynsw

I started this thread as a novice and probably just a more experienced novice now.

I wouldn’t consider one myself, I have driven friends Chinese tractors and they are very average compared to my John Deere. Sure they work but the drivetrain and componentry is very agricultural like Russian cars

The known brand motor is not where the trouble would be it is all the other areas that I would be concerned about parts, the quality of the hydraulic pumps and hoses etc plus the resale value is very poor to unsaleable. They look cheap up front but ………..