Buying a used car - private sale or car yard?

Patriot

Administrator
Hey guys,

The time for getting another fourby is getting closer and I am wondering what most people do. Do you go to a car yard or buy privately. Apart from the obvious differences that there are many cars in one spot at a car yard with a bit more regulation and private sellers being about 20 - 30% cheaper, what other differences are there?

Thanks for the advice.

James

PS Yes, this means I may be getting closer to getting a real offroad vehicle :) Went looking at car yards today and saw a couple that I liked.

Grumpy

Buy privately and get a roadworthy with it, if your at all worried get it RACV checked, there's plenty of great cheap 4bies out there and you should save thousands of $ too.

Pure Yobbo

There are some factors in deciding what you are going to do. I would buy privatly if you have the coin and don't need to trade anything. I would get it checked over.

When we brought our current wagon we wnet through a yard. They offered a good trade on my ute and finace was ezy - so horses for causes.

Cheers

Nickj

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Yeah, what he said! What did you look at today James?

I bought my Pathfinder 2nd hand from a dealer.
1. Dealer warranty (was still under new car warranty)
2. Dealer got LPG and rear wheel carrier fitted prior to delivery
3. I spoke to the previous owner - got best price from dealer as I knew how much they paid for it

Saying all that, I don't think you are looking to pay $35k for your off road 4by James. Mine is Novated Lease vehicle and my employer contribute a fair bit towards the lease. So, as Grumpy said, get an RACV check, RWC and lets get 4wding!!!

Nick

Patriot

Administrator
I looked at a 1990 4.2L Landcruiser Diesel with 315,000 kms. Has already been lifted. The body was in pretty good condition and it was pretty tempting.

James

Patriot

Administrator
$12,000. Had a look on carsales and that looks like a pretty good price. The car salesman said it had just been traded so it hadn't been detailed. He showed me a whole heap of things under the bonnet, none of which made sense and talked about all the mods that could be done to it, even less of which made any sense to me, but apart from that it looked OK to my untrained eye :)

James

Pure Yobbo

$12,000. Had a look on carsales and that looks like a pretty good price. The car salesman said it had just been traded so it hadn't been detailed. He showed me a whole heap of things under the bonnet, none of which made sense and talked about all the mods that could be done to it, even less of which made any sense to me, but apart from that it looked OK to my untrained eye :)

James

Definatly worth getting it checked out by someone in the know.

You could get a GQ Patrol for cheaper than that. I would still be looking around a bit more.

I don't think a XJ Jeep are that much are they??

At the end of the day if you are happy with it and it checks out ok - go for it it is entirly your choice.

Cheers

BUSHNUT

Hi James,

If you don't have a vehicle to off load, then go private every time . As the others have said get a check on it with VICROADS first then With RACV or with your own mechanic .

The caryards have got to make at least $4000 on the deal to make it worth their while so factor that in on the price . You are more likely to get better value privately with this in mind !

In the $12,000 area , I would be looking at a GQ over anything else , dont touch anything in the 3 litre range , very light transmission and drive line .

Wouldn't put much in store on what a salesman reckons about accessories and lift, 2" lift is all that is needed and is more than adequate on the patrols .

If you do go Landcruiser way of things , get a barn door model , you can really load the buggers up, a Cargo Barrier is a must in all wagons if you are taking kids and the minister of finance .

Patriot

Administrator
Had a look on carsales and there weren't any cheaper private sales which was interesting. Having a look at GQ Patrols now.

This would be a comparable model to the one that I was looking at and he is in Narre Warren.

Either way I will get an RACV inspection just to make sure it isn't a lemon.

James

Pure Yobbo

Wow I didn't know the GQ come as a 4.2 Diesel Auto. The GU's don't.

The Patrol is $1000 less has 100 000km less on the clock and also has a Nissan Badge on the front...... :D

I would keep looking, I think you may still get one a little cheaper than that. I am a Manual man so the Auto doesn't suit me.

There is another guy on here who reakons he got his GQ for $4000 in Nsw. So I would looking around. For me personally 300 000km is a bit much given the cost of Diesel rebuilds.

Cheers

robz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Agree with Pure Yobbo
300,000 is a bit to many ks for that price.
Also that model turbo diesel had a hereditary problem with throwing a leg out of the block.
Would be getting t checked out by someone in the know.
Patrols and Pajeros are allot cheaper and just as capable.
There are worth looking at.
Cheers Rob.

Patriot

Administrator
How many km's would you expect to get out of a well maintained diesel engine that hasn't been thrashed?

Thanks for the advice so far!

James

BUSHNUT

Had a look on carsales and there weren't any cheaper private sales which was interesting. Having a look at GQ Patrols now.

This would be a comparable model to the one that I was looking at and he is in Narre Warren.

Either way I will get an RACV inspection just to make sure it isn't a lemon.

James

Hi James,

Had a look at the GQ on your link provided, it is not too over priced for that year,for those KMs, that amount of KM's is low for that year, DEC rego , I would try to get him down on that, Ad has been updated so it may have been there a little while, try knocking a grand off . I am not an fan of Autos but the one positive is that the motor would not have done it hard when compared to a manual transmission .

When getting a diesel checked out, get it done by a diesel mechanic, RACV will most likely check all the other things quite well. would pay to have the trany checked by an auto tranny guy as well. Shouldn't be much problems unless it has done a lot of towing of heavy stuff. It doesn't cost much to put manual transmission into them the bell housing is exactly the same .

Car looks clean from the photos, sometimes you might pay a bit more for something that is in very good order.

Carsales has a very good price checker powered by the redbook pricing authority.

//www.carsales.com.au/car-valuations

Last edited:

Pure Yobbo

Hi James,

Had a look at the GQ on your link provided, it is not too over priced for that year,for those KMs, that amount of KM's is low for that year, DEC rego , I would try to get him down on that, Ad has been updated so it may have been there a little while, try knocking a grand off . I am not an fan of Autos but the one positive is that the motor would not have done it hard when compared to a manual transmission .

When getting a diesel checked out, get it done by a diesel mechanic, RACV will most likely check all the other things quite well. would pay to have the trany checked by an auto tranny guy as well. Shouldn't be much problems unless it has done a lot of towing of heavy stuff. It doesn't cost much to put manual transmission into them the bell housing is exactly the same .

Car looks clean from the photos, sometimes you might pay a bit more for something that is in very good order.

Carsales has a very good price checker powered by the redbook pricing authority.

//www.carsales.com.au/car-valuations

Definatly get it checked out by a decent Mechanic. I purchased a 2.8 Diesel Hilux a few years ago - had it checked out. After a while it started playing up - took it to the next mechanic - he took one look at it and said it had been cooked, hence had big problems. So there mechanics & theres mechanics....

Cheers

grit

Auto's are easy to analyse... take it for a run, when its warmed up and at low cruising speed, accelerate and feel it kick back a gear... how smooth was it and did it immediately take up the lower gear. then as you decelerate (to an appropriate speed) drop it back a gear, did it lock in smoothly without any harsh chirp and was compression braking felt with reasonable reduction of speed.

Bushnut is again correct (I hate having to say that... ;) ) an automatic should have protected the motor from the usual rigours of harsh usage. < just taking a moment to pour myself a stiff scotch>... okay, the guys that inspect for motoring organisations will not test the drive-train, so you will need to check this for yourself or get someone to come with you who knows. They are an honest rig and again (I hate this...) as Bushnut says, its a simple conversion to a manual if that's the way you want to go. < damn... outa scotch!>

LowLux

MPO. I look towards buying private (not that I buy often) because you can generally get cheaper and if you know what your looking for and know the things to check out, before buying, its a winner. You can also haggle with more flexibility. The yards are generally more expensive and the warranties you get with second hand are usually not worth wiping with. Auctions are another way to go but once again you need to know what to look for hence I would take someone who knows 4By's. Horses for courses of course.

N.T.

Gudday James,

While your looking through carsales (and trading post is another good one) check out the XJ cherokees. The pricing is unbeleivable. Expect fuel economy from anywhere from 12l/100km to 18l/100km. Thats the only real down fall, but its a lot of fuel money you can save when a 99 model XJ with 60,000 ks on the clock in immaculate condition will set you back about $9,000. Thats not much money for a lot of fourby. And the up side to the bad fuel economy is the awesome power they haul.
Just a thought.
N.T.

Patriot

Administrator
Hey N.T.,

Have just started looking in the trading post. I didn't realise how many cars they have their. Probably more than carsales. Thanks for the heads up!

James