what will constitute a good buy ?
will use mainly for 4wd
what accessories mighty be needed ?
and who give gives good service before and after sales
surely this is not too much to ask?
:cool:

Swampy83

Hey Bilby

Constituting a good buy is just getting one, they are awesome.. Even though mine is the original not the hereo 2. I have upgraded the firm ware to suit some new acc I have now.
Acc I have are

The Extra battery bacpac (doubles the time)
Big sd card 32 gb
Lcd Screen for on the spot playback
Floaty back door so it wont sink
Chest harness
Roll bar mounts
Handle bar mounts

I am now getting the full remote control pack as well so you can operate from up to 50ft or metres away , and you can also live stream your footage. You can also buy extra mounting brackets for mud gaurds, helmets. You will never leave home with out. dont get me wrong I dont work for them in any way or anything just love the lil thing. great for under water and are good for 60 mtrs down. ( shit I sound like a salesman)
It was prezzy so not sure of the cost or where from but my extra bits were approx couple hundred from Launch I think. Theres a dealer near you in Gerringong I am pretty sure of. Any way hope my 2 cents worth sheds a lil light

Cheers
Fox

Last edited:

Vegetoast

I got mine off..... guess.............EBAY...lol $350 for the Hero2 with the adventure pack.
I'm not using any of the accessories except the protective case, I print the custom mounts I need like for my quadcopter.

WillisRanger

Do u have one of the 3D printer, they are so cool lol, seen a doco on them , awesome for that type of stuff

Ford PK Ranger Wildtrak: 2 inch tough dog lift kit, 265/75-16 MTZ's, XROX front bar and rocksliders, Kaymar rear bar, rear arb air locker, 3 inch custom exhaust, snorkel, 4x hella 1000 spotties up front, uhf and an air freshener :)

su888

I heard there are alternatives out there on the market that offer the same quality footage (build quality is not quite as good) but for a fraction of the price...

Davidman

4x4 Earth Contributer
Not the cheapest, but the GoPro Hero 2 was well worth the money I spent on it. Fantastic quality video and with what it's been through, very very strong, shock resistant etc etc. Haven't looked back.

Swampy83

I heard there are alternatives out there on the market that offer the same quality footage (build quality is not quite as good) but for a fraction of the price...
Hey Su

What are the alternatives, always keen to look at others but they would have to be good to go pass the go pro

Cheers
Fox

Bobster

I purchased a Go Pro2 motor sport Xmas time and it's been fantastic, todate the wife used it when she swam with seals at Baird bay and also feeding dolphins at Tin Can bay. I've used it mounted on the dash when 4wd in the Flinders Ranges and recently on Fraser Isl and other areas. We've also mounted it on front of our kayak and got some great footage of dolphins playing only metres away.

There's no vibration in the footage, completly waterproof and easy to use.

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
I've never seen anything come close to the go pro hero 2. They really are the ducks guts to speak. Search on ebay. Usually cheaper than shop. I couldn't imagine any one not been completely happy with purchase of one.

Rocket55

What do you guys use to edit the HD video files and then compress them to something less that 2 Gig?

Davidman

4x4 Earth Contributer
What do you guys use to edit the HD video files and then compress them to something less that 2 Gig?

You can download a shareware program called < Leawo AVI Converter > which does as it says, converts them into AVI format.

You can then use something as simple as Windows Live Movie Maker (comes with Windows) to edit / add music etc.

Another one I use is < DVD Movie Factory > You can search for it, from memory, think it was shareware too.

Quite often, instead of saving at full HD (1080p), I will save them maybe in 720p HD or 480p HQ. Depends what you want to do with them, if it's just for upload to Youtube, lesser quality is fine. If it's for replay on the big TV, keep it at full HD quality.

Rocket55

Excellent, thanks for that. I'll give them a go. I do have an editor that deals with the GoPro files direct, but it just crushes the computer and takes forever everytime you click on something, just not worth the hassel.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
You can set the required resolution on the camera itself which will obviously extend the recording time - I have mine set to 1080 which, with a 32G card, gives me roughly 4 hours I can then edit and down-convertthe image without loss

Cheers

Colin

Swaggie

Excellent, thanks for that. I'll give them a go. I do have an editor that deals with the GoPro files direct, but it just crushes the computer and takes forever everytime you click on something, just not worth the hassel.

Whenever you do Video work on your computer turn off your Internet Security/Anti-virus and your internet...They run in the background and can interfere with the converting process..Although computers are quicker now i do it anyway....Just a suggestion..;)

pommyphil

Hi all

I have just got a Gopro 3 I tryed to upgrade the firmware, the camera "bricked" my son managed to get it to work but it "froze"

I returned it to the store and they swapped it for another unit

That one did not make it to the upgrade stage as it locked on the one menu screen and would not go to the next screen
Now I am on my 3rd replacment gopro I am reluctant to upgrade firmware

Has anyone had simular problems and be able to give advice

I would like to be able to use the wifi option as at my age it's hard to read the screen without glasses

linking it to my android tab would be a big help

dno67

I recently purchased a Hero HD2 with the Wifi backpack from here.
http://www.peninsulacamera.com.au/
After reading heaps of horror stories on the firmware upgrade I asked if they could do it
in store for me so I could see how to do it, no problems at all. All done in front of me
while I waited, also got a great deal. Quite happy to recommend there service.

pommyphil

I recently purchased a Hero HD2 with the Wifi backpack from here.
http://www.peninsulacamera.com.au/
After reading heaps of horror stories on the firmware upgrade I asked if they could do it
in store for me so I could see how to do it, no problems at all. All done in front of me
while I waited, also got a great deal. Quite happy to recommend there service.

I got mine from JB HI .FI the last swap over I asked if they could do the upgrade their reply was

We have limited internet in store however, I will take it home and do the upgrade if unsuccessful we will send it back to gopro

I then get a phone call gopro will replace the camera

OK the store has done their best, but I am still left with a camera the that still needs a firmware upgrade

On my next days off I will try a manual firmware upgrade, fingers crossed that will work

dno67

I got mine from JB HI .FI the last swap over I asked if they could do the upgrade their reply was

We have limited internet in store however, I will take it home and do the upgrade if unsuccessful we will send it back to gopro

I then get a phone call gopro will replace the camera

OK the store has done their best, but I am still left with a camera the that still needs a firmware upgrade

On my next days off I will try a manual firmware upgrade, fingers crossed that will work

There's a heap of good info here.
GoPro User Forum &bull; Index page