Bush Fungi Stuff

BIGCOL

Thought you would find that pretty impressive Rick. When I took the pic I thought of you guy's!

Hope it's all going well.

Col.

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
When I first spotted this in the grass at Wonnangatta Station, I actually thought it was a rock, and drove around it.
The first photo I took of it didn't give any clue as to how big it was, so I snapped this second one with my foot for scale..

Earth-6442.JPG

It's got to be the biggest toadstool I've ever seen.:eek:

Spooner

It's got to be the biggest toadstool I've ever seen.:eek:
Nice work Pete ,
The biggest fungi we have ever seen , found at Mt Worth State Park Vic.
It was actually petrified on the side of a giant tall tree , so you can get a scale to it.
Was rock hard and amazing to see :)

I will post a photo up later , can't do it now , as on weekends around here the internet wireless gets taken over by the tourists , so I struggle to do jack lol ;)

Last edited:

Spooner

Well we are heading into Fungi season soon as it gets colder & wetter .
I hope you lot will keep an eye out this year for some weird & wonderful samples :cool:

99pc chimpanzee

Well we are heading into Fungi season soon as it gets colder & wetter .
I hope you lot will keep an eye out this year for some weird & wonderful samples :cool:
Yeah am thinking I will have to go a bit further afield,got a place in mind that will keep secret for know,dont want my lunch cut.:)
Reckon it will churn out some beauties,time will tell,and with 35c next week there's no rush.

Spooner

Anyone got an idea of what this might be?. Rather large, around 40 cm long. Found at an old sawmill site in a Cypress Pine forest.
Wow ! Great Photos mate :)
Its all about being in the right place at the right time . Fungi have a very short surface life , they sprout then die and compose back to the earth very quickly , within days or a week .
Sometimes we have found rock hard petrified ones the size of dinner plates stuck to trees in certain areas , but this is uncommon.
Thanks for posting and keep a look out in your area over the coming winter months , they are great photography models :)
Each area around Australia has different types specific to climate , soil and the trees around them .
I Love this photo because it looks like a hand coming out of a grave :cool:
Cheers Rick

IMGP5667.jpg

Spooner

This is the same image that appeared in my recent trip report. There were many of these fungi sprouting up in the Simpson Desert about a week after Rain..
Thats super cool Pete !
Same thing , Right Place at the right time , even the Desert delivers :cool:
Blink and you Miss it .

Spooner

We at last have had some rain at least and the fungi are starting to sprout.
I heard on the radio today whilst I was in Yarram that the Lumo (Glow in the Dark) fungi are up around in Gippsland areas.

Spooner

yeah finally had a drink here too,doesnt have a good vibe for fungi this year though,will have a gander this week
We have been looking for new suitable areas to find new species once it gets a bit wetter & colder .
Found some good spots that have promise out the back of Hepburn near Daylesford last Sunday . Taking the terrain , soil and vegetation into account has plenty of promise , but time will tell :)