Bush Barrier Vs Rhino Hide

phs

Hi,

Looking at purchasing one or the other any feedback pros and con from users would be great

Spooner

It's just a modern twisted take on the o'l car dealer , protect your investment paint protection plan.

phs

Best way I can see either working well is to not go bush at all mate

Sort of getting over polishing the Mrs car Rick seems like a good alternative.

Took her 200 upto Robe, managed to touch every thing as far as the eye can see lol,

Spooner

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 5.47.27 pm.png

Reactions: phs

Colly18

Support a local job by paying someone $100 once a year to polish it (?). Just a water wash and shammy should keep it beautiful between polishes(?)

dabbler

I've never bothered but I've read about people wrapping their Pride and Joy before trips. Then strip it all off on return.

CTL

Some of the comments above would suggest the posters have no idea of what rhino hide or bush barrier actually are :oops:
Whilst having never personally used either product, a good mate had his new chopped 200 covered with rhino hide. He is very happy with it in the few months it has been on. However he has left it on and never taken it off between outback trips so couldn’t offer any opinion on whether the paint underneath has been effected by the attachment nor how easy it is to attach/remove/reattach.

Reactions: phs

discomatt

Just polish it every now and then, treat it like some exercise and smash out a good polish in 1 hour and see how the arms feel

phs

Just polish it every now and then, treat it like some exercise and smash out a good polish in 1 hour and see how the arms feel

1 hour, it’s a half day exercise lol

Wash
Dry
Claybar
Polish

Shoulder is over it owned too many 4wds

Surprised there is not more feedback about the above products we saw a fair few 4wds using them up at robe last month.

Colly18

Maybe the solution is a trade-off - get the Mrs to clean her own 4WD in exchange for you taking on something else? May be a win situation for you? :)

mac_man_luke

Id be worried about getting grit between one of those protectors and the paint which would do worse damage

You can get some really good paint protection films (vinyl wrap) that look amazing and will be much harder to mark
and paint will be like new under when you remove it.

or go fancy vinyl wrap but they are not as tough

dno67

I've always looked at the coatinga like rhino hide and similar, as having the same disadvantages as powder coating when it come to rust developing underneath it.

boobook

I got many scratches on my last vehicle. A 200. There is no way you can avoid it on tracks like the ABH east of Emu and the Hay River track. Scratches from grown over tracks like that simply don't cut out.

I tried the roll on stuff sold in some shops. It stuck to the paint and I had to get the entire car sanded back and resprayed. The manufacturer said it is for protection of steel and glass and was never intended to be used on Paint - despite that being how it was labelled and sold. I had even used it successfully on 4 - 5 occasions. The manufacturer walked away but luckily the seller paid $8K for a respray. Don't use this stuff.

I now have the Rhino hide. It is great and being so thick protects from even large sharp branches. You could run a chisel over it without hurting the paint. It stays on at 110 kmph no problem. BUT the front RHS one has come off when a truck passed the other way at 100k. It just takes a couple of minutes to put on or remove. Literally.

It has 4 disadvantages.

1)It is large to store when not in use. A problem if you intend to store it in the car till you use it.
2)It covers the fuel flap. You have to take a whole panel off to refill ( not a big issue)
3)I had to cut out the area for my snorkel.
4)It is a silver grey. It screams steal me when parked up. I painted it to match the car.

It doesn't scratch the paint work if you give a quick wipe before putting it in place.

I'd probably get the Bush barrier if I had my time again. It rolls up into a small space, they'll cut out the snorkle, it is available in lots of colours and iut has a fuel filler cutout. BUT It may not protect as much on tight tracks.

In reality you can only cut paint back a few times and it never comes out like new if you can feel the scratch, for the price of painting one panel, the Bush BArrier seems a bargain in you do that kind of driving.

Last edited: