Burnt out BT50

Big-Trev

C4AB258D-2E21-419F-B256-D493FC0BB7DD.jpeg 12E8D54E-4953-408A-90D7-A334E858A601.jpeg
On my WA trip that I have just finished I came across this on the Gary Hyway just before Windy Corner. Not a good out come for these poor buggers.Heading North.Not only the car but the we think it was a caravan of sort.

unko84

we where stalking you along the connie sue and Garry about 1 day behind. did you see the FJ, just past windy point.

did you see the fire extinguisher x2 next to the camper, looks like they tryed to save the camper as it was was about 20 m away.

we where hoping that the FJ and the ford ranger weren't in the same group

Last edited:

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
I shared this photo of an FJ Cruiser in a recent trip report..

FF43FC1C-6F0E-4450-AEE6-C4FE819B9BDE.jpeg

We came across it not too far from Windy Corner, say 80km along the Talawana Track.
It seemed relatively recent. Guessing last season. Haven’t managed to find any info about it online though.

As I’ve written elsewhere, that part of the world definitely demands respect.

Buxter

I certainly feel for the losses and bad experiences that peeps go thru because of a car fire in remote places.

We have done all those roads, and carry a "super soaker" water pistol, (with soapy water for better wetability) and a No.8 wire hook, as we consider a fire extinguisher has only one shot at putting out a fire, and after that, you generally have nothing to protect your vehicle.
A simple "super soaker" can be recharged time and time again.

Every time we stop, we religiously look underneath and check chassis rails, top of exhaust, muffler, or anywhere spinifex, and other grasses that build up, and simply hook it all out.

DPF's in the outback are a different kettle of fish, but then again a little "due diligence" goes a long way.

Cheers Buxter

ron l

View attachment 54730 View attachment 54731
On my WA trip that I have just finished I came across this on the Gary Hyway just before Windy Corner. Not a good out come for these poor buggers.Heading North.Not only the car but the we think it was a caravan of sort.
The Mazda BT50 was our vehicle which rapidly caught fire in Sep 2017. At that instance, we did not realise that the electrics in our Ultimate Off Road Camper were also alight. It caught fire after being separated from the BT50. Vehicle fire was caused by an electrical fault. Mazda had attached the wires from the starter battery to the auxiliary battery and tow hitch etc (with no additional protection) to the chassis, with metal zip ties. Fortunately no injuries, and journey continued with our companions to Newman. Devastating to hear champagne exploding and realisation of beer wasted. Mazda investigated, and to their credit, did compensate us.

McGinnis

Extremely disappointing that Mazda hadn't cleaned up their mess though. Taking financial responsibility for the problem implies a certain acceptance that they should also deal with the environmental consequences.

Glad everyone was okay, mainly.

mauriceb

@ron l . Another view of your BT & Trailer 10/07/2018 . We stood there wondering on the day we passed your wrecks if you guys were ok . Hoping you weren't solo and whether you managed to grab survival stores untill a rescue and if you had comms to alert the authorities. Note the two discarded fire extinguishers in foreground
15312158895558.jpg
15312158896310.jpg

Colly18

On my WA trip that I have just finished I came across this on the Gary Hyway just before Windy Corner.........................
Slightly off topic, but I trust you enjoyed the Gary Junction Road trip Big Trev? We did it in 2018 and I'd recommend it to any who haven't done it (providing you want to experience the outback/desert and some isolation). It's not a difficult journey when tackled with sensible preplanning.