Burnt diff oil

Collie2012

Hello, I'm having some work done to my RG colorado's rear diff and the workshop have called and said that the diff oil is burnt, one of the bearings is shot and the pinion seal is weeping.

My questions is what would have caused the oil to be burnt as its only done 20K km's on it?

Thanks.

bear63

The only time i have struck this is when the oil has been low for a while , or its has done some really serious work

Aaron Schubert

For it to burn, it must have gotten seriously hot. Realistically the only reason is as above; if there hasn't been enough in the diff to keep it at a reasonable temperature.

Aaron

Aaron Schubert

If the diff was being worked hard, potentially. Thinking about it, the only way you would lose oil is if a seal has gone (perhaps the pinion leak is worse than just a weep?), you have a crack in the diff or the drain plug came out.

Who serviced it last?

Aaron

Collie2012

Holden have been servicing it, only because there have been so many warranty issues with it, its easier to take there for service and have them fix all the other problems with it at the same time.

Aaron Schubert

I'd be passing the blame onto them - a new vehicle shouldn't leak oil from the pinion seal unless you have damaged it. You haven't hit the tailshaft on a rock or anything?

Other than this, maybe they didn't put enough oil in it last time?

Aaron

Bullant4x4

A mate brought a Colorado less than a year ago. He has had a new engine, transmission and diff.

Only done light farm work and it was brought late 2013 :(

No longer Japan, good old Thailand :(

Should have brought a Great Wall

muc the truck

I hope this is sorted . I had Holden do the first service on my Colorado . it was a fluid inspection basically . I new they were dodgy in the dealership I was forced by location to use so scribed the plugs . guess what . not one filer plug was remove to check. I complained . the car when in with the service manager yelling , he scribed the bloody filer plugs. Maybe to embarrass me , I don't know but all the mechanics heard. so did there other customers . Car went back in . I waited car came out with a big dent in the centre of the bonnet and oil was all over the car were they failed to clean it after over flowing the filler plugs. I had to proceed with legal action to get the bonnet fixed . The pulled a new bonnet off a new car and sent my bonnet and the new car to the panelshop to get BOGGED UP.

JC807

A mate brought a Colorado less than a year ago. He has had a new engine, transmission and diff.

Only done light farm work and it was brought late 2013 :(

No longer Japan, good old Thailand :(

Should have brought a Great Wall

Should have bought a Dmax

Aaron Schubert

I hope this is sorted . I had Holden do the first service on my Colorado . it was a fluid inspection basically . I new they were dodgy in the dealership I was forced by location to use so scribed the plugs . guess what . not one filer plug was remove to check. I complained . the car when in with the service manager yelling , he scribed the bloody filer plugs. Maybe to embarrass me , I don't know but all the mechanics heard. so did there other customers . Car went back in . I waited car came out with a big dent in the centre of the bonnet and oil was all over the car were they failed to clean it after over flowing the filler plugs. I had to proceed with legal action to get the bonnet fixed . The pulled a new bonnet off a new car and sent my bonnet and the new car to the panelshop to get BOGGED UP.

That sucks mate. I really don't like anyone working on my car unless I know them. Too many nasty stories!

Aaron

Diesel1

Beach driving aka sand and salt can be harsh on your seals.
Not just diff but all of them.
I say you might of had a slow leak and eventually the oil got that low the diff ran hot and the pinion seal went completely.
Oil isnt just for lubrication but also heat exchange.

There is a good chance that the diff has suffered if the oil has burnt.
Are you getting warranty?
Is only the seal getting replaced?

Diesel1

Thats BS service.
Did you get a new bonnet in the end or the bogged up one?
First service, new car. I would have made them order a new bonnet.

muc the truck

Thats BS service.
Did you get a new bonnet in the end or the bogged up one?
First service, new car. I would have made them order a new bonnet.
I got the new bonnet from a car delivered to there lot the same color . then that new car was driven to a panel shop so someone here in Townsville bought a mica black Colorado with a handful of bog in the bonnet above the radiator . Heat will eventually make it show.

My most recent gripe with Holden was a claim on my steering wheel that's peeling . the car still has its original tyres on it . out side warranty Holden said they would go half's. which amounted to my half being 600 something dollars for them to supply and fit the new steering wheel at Half price. I told Holden to stick it and bought the more expensive leather steering wheel from ebay off some one that imports gm parts from Thailand for $315 to my door and fitted it my self . I asked holden to pay for that since they agreed to pay there half being about 600 and they declined. I thought about offering Bridgestone tyres my old steering wheel along with my original Bridgestone tyres for a advertising promotion . Key words >>>> Holden steering wheels wear out faster than Bridgestone tyres.

Eightyeight

I got the new bonnet from a car delivered to there lot the same color . then that new car was driven to a panel shop so someone here in Townsville bought a mica black Colorado with a handful of bog in the bonnet above the radiator . Heat will eventually make it show.

My most recent gripe with Holden was a claim on my steering wheel that's peeling . the car still has its original tyres on it . out side warranty Holden said they would go half's. which amounted to my half being 600 something dollars for them to supply and fit the new steering wheel at Half price. I told Holden to stick it and bought the more expensive leather steering wheel from ebay off some one that imports gm parts from Thailand for $315 to my door and fitted it my self . I asked holden to pay for that since they agreed to pay there half being about 600 and they declined. I thought about offering Bridgestone tyres my old steering wheel along with my original Bridgestone tyres for a advertising promotion . Key words >>>> Holden steering wheels wear out faster than Bridgestone tyres.

You really got the blunt end of the stick hey mate. Shame the other dealership is parts only now. But I've had the complete opposite treatment than you from the same dealership. They have gone above and beyond. It's irritating to know they either pick and choose, or depends on whom you deal with tbh.

At OP; my MY13 had a week from the rear diff. They booked it in on the phone, but we're busy for a while. I called them a day later to inform them the weep turned into a drip (4,000km on the clock total) and they replaced it that arvo. Oil level wasn't too low.
The actual cause was a little swamp big and the diff was submerged in silty crud for a while until the winch popped it. Cleaned underbody straight after recovery and noticed weep the next day.

Even if it has occurred from a day at the beach, it's the vehicles marketed and intended use, so make it clear its a warranty claim from the beginning.

Checkout my ride in My Colorado build Thread!!!

Tink

What's the difference , even the new ones apart from engine still share so many parts.

The current Colorado and Dmax models have different engines, gearboxes, rear diffs amd front struts. Funnily enough if you read the forums, it is these very parts which seem to be causing all the grief for current model Colorado owners. Just saying.