Bunyip Area - Sunday 12th Feb

shinysideUP

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Well... what a great day out in the bush, pushing man and machine to the limits. This wasn't meant to be an extreme day out but boy, did we give it a crack!!

We all met up at Longwarry servo, Mans & Davidman (and Guests), Richie (Mudlark), Scott and Matt (Blacknav) and Kelvin (4wdnuts).

First track of the day was up Robertson Creek Tk (nice rocky climb) then down Birrels Tk. Up Rocky Tk and back onto Robertson Creek tk till I couldn't go any further. Kelvin had a crack but even with a 4" lift and 35's only got a little bit further.

This is were we scared the sh!t out of Mandy's friends and they bailed out, so Mandy drove them back to Beaconsfield while we turned back down Rocky tk and went further on to the start of Bullock Link Tk. A few technichal lines were chosen and a bit of wheel lifting got us through the first challenge then we came to the rock ledges, Wow!!!! We scratched our heads and with a bit of discussion and half an hour of track building we decided to give it a crack. We all made it up with out incident with only Richie needed to winch up the last ledge. Well done to everyone, it was a great team effort.

Next challenge was the dredded Bog Hole! With no way around and a lot of discussion I chose my line and went no where. Winched myself out and got into position to winch the others out. Once all through the bog hole we continued on up anouther knarly rutted section but without to many dramas (other than my glasses sliding off the dash then under the back wheel :rolleyes:) It was a very character building first half to the day.

Back onto Robertsons Creek tk then a quick scoot around Quarts Creek tk to meet Mandy (less passengers) then a stop for lunch at Gentle Annie Gap. After lunch we did Gentle Annie Tk then down Western Tk where Ritchie decided to rip off his side step which he damaged earlier then along to Tea Tree Tk where it was alot damper under foot. With a bit of slipping and sliding we all made it up no worries. Back at the top of Tea Tree where we had lunch we decided to call it a day. Me, Scott, Richie and Kelvin decided to go back up Birrells and down the first bit of Robertson Creek tk (opposite way to what we did that morning) to finish the day.

I'm sure we all have a few more battle scars on our rigs now but it was an awesome day out. Thanks to those who came along. Was good to meet you Kelvin, welcome to Earth ;).
Cheers Andrew

Photos and Vids to follow...

Last edited:

Croozer

Sounds like a great day Andrew. Shame I am so flat out working on my house at the moment but I gotta do what gotta do. Looking forward to pics.

Mans

thanks for organising day Andrew, glad I missed out on the tougher tracks, but enjoyed the rest......gotta love my prado it makes keeping up with you guys fairly easy....although Dave is a pretty good coach and I must have done well cause I got a big hug at the end :)
Good to see the other guys too....luckily didn't need Scott's assistance this time

blaknav

hi all and cheers andrew for a great day out i had a blast!!!

well i had a better time than my crappy sidesteps wich are now both bent up enough so i can only just open my doors thanks to those lovely large rock steps.. they saved my sills though so i cant complain;) plus it adds character:D

once again it was good to catch up with all the familiar faces and as always good to meet some new people who share some common interests

hope you got home ok andrew and richie
lookin forward to seeing kalven's videos and everyones pictures

4wdnuts

Hi guys,

What a great day out! It was great to meet you all..awesome tracks...may give Rocky Tk another go next time! It's an unfinished business!

Thanks Andrew for organising the trip.......

Well, I have just finished watching 100+ photos and over 60 mins video footage capturing most of your actions today! ........ Now it comes the hard part.........wait for them to upload..........

I will post pic and vids up in the next few days once they are up.

See you next time.

P.S Andrew, how's your truck mate, hope you have sorted it out. Get a GQ :) Haha

Kelvin

Mud lark

Hi all,cheers Andrew .Had an aswsome day out.Hey scott,at least you still have your side steps mate
:)

discomatt

what a great day out even though i was only a passanger, thanx heaps Sccott:D
made me even more keen to get the engine rebuild finished and hit the tracks again!!!!!
we have some unfished buisness on rocky track:eek::eek::rolleyes:
thanxs to all for another fun day in the bush

Davidman

Thanks everyone for a great day out. Am looking forward to seeing the pics and videos from Kelvin.

shinysideUP

Hi Guys, Made it home okay. Didnt get much over 80km/h to be on the safe side.
Wheel ended up sounding like when you put a playing card in the spokes of your BMX!:eek:
The unfinished business would be on Robertsons Creek Tk (above Rocky Tk). To do the whole length of Robertson Creek Tk would be an awesome achievement. Go for it Kelvin :D

jack48

Sounds like you guys had fun ;):)

Hey Scott and MudLark, perfect excuse to get sliders now :p:D:D

Great report Andrew, might venture down that way for a run with you lot, tracks sound like a challenge :rolleyes:

shinysideUP

yeah, get out of your comfort zone Jack ;). Would love to see the Tonkas do some of these tracks. :D

jack48

yeah, get out of your comfort zone Jack ;). Would love to see the Tonkas do some of these tracks. :D

Tonkadore is the only one doing hard tracks ATM as Tonkatrol is being set up for touring, Cape York etc, we are still testing its capabilities apart from doing extreme tracks which it was built for, we know it does those :rolleyes::p but the touring thing is different, might have to put sway bars back on with the roof top camper Hehehaha

discomatt

where are some pics and vid of the day forgot my camera and am sure there will be some great pics of rigs with wheels pointing skyward:cool:

shinysideUP

Yeah, I didnt take my camera either - still waiting on Kelvin. Come on Kelvin, were are they :confused: ;) Here's one from my phone of us on our lunch break.
IMAG0387.jpg

4wdnuts

Yeah, I didnt take my camera either - still waiting on Kelvin. Come on Kelvin, were are they :confused: ;) Here's one from my phone of us on our lunch break.
View attachment 13715

Sorry about the delay. Finally all photos are uploaded. To view them, please "Request an invitation" at For 4wd Nuts Only - 4wdnuts.com.au. You will be able to view the album at the next step.

Videos will be uploaded in next few days. You're gonna love them :)

Enjoy!

Kelvin

Freaky4wder

We saw you at the bottom of robertson creek track at the unloading area where everyone seemed to air there tyres up. just a quick question, out of all the tracks you did that day (Rocky tk, Bullock link etc) would a pajero with 31's have any chance. we did (little bunyip, bunyip ridge, Western track, Gentle Annie, Tea Tree (down), and down Robertson creek track but did not have enough time to attempt any of the tracks off Robertson creek Track.

Is it worth trying? any info would be great

4wdnuts

We saw you at the bottom of robertson creek track at the unloading area where everyone seemed to air there tyres up. just a quick question, out of all the tracks you did that day (Rocky tk, Bullock link etc) would a pajero with 31's have any chance. we did (little bunyip, bunyip ridge, Western track, Gentle Annie, Tea Tree (down), and down Robertson creek track but did not have enough time to attempt any of the tracks off Robertson creek Track.

Is it worth trying? any info would be great

Here is my thought -

Rocky Tk - You can try going down. I did this track with same Pajero ~10 yrs ago but I had to winch several times just to get over some big rock. (Not recommended)

Bulllock link - You may find it tricky at the rocky sections, require some track building. You will need to winch out from the bog hole for sure.

Robertson Tk - I didn't finish the whole track but from what I have seen, you may expect some minor panel damage.

If you go with another car with a electric winch, you should be able to go almost anywhere.

Hope it helps.