Bullbars ,steel or alloy ?

Muddybugga

HI All ,looking at getting a bullbat for bulls lol,Triton ...
LOOKING AT WEIGHTS ON A FEW .the alloy was not much lighter ...so should i save the $$ and just go steel
I'm guessing steel is better cause if ya hit something you can straighten it easier than alloy ...alloy looks nice
but after my sideways down a muddy road hitting banks ..thinking steel ..any advice ..pn I have a mud bar now ,slightly bent now
as you have to push the clutch in on the tritons ,to start them ..didn't have the handbrake on and hit a fence ,lucky it was wood ..broke it

dusta77

if you are going to run a bullbar then steel is your only option. What's the point of a lightweight bullbar if it won't offer any decent impact protection. My new car i didn't bother with a bullbar and chucked all my lights and antennas on the roofrack and kept the lines clean at the front.

peterfermtech

if you are going to run a bullbar then steel is your only option. What's the point of a lightweight bullbar if it won't offer any decent impact protection. My new car i didn't bother with a bullbar and chucked all my lights and antennas on the roofrack and kept the lines clean at the front.

Rusty Panels

A well made alloy bar is very strong and will weigh considerably less than the equivalent steel bar. The biggest drawback is that if you damage an alloy they are not as easily straightened and repaired.
As the guys mention, additional weight on any vehicle should be considered so it's worth researching before selecting.
I fitted an steel Extreme Series bar to my Everest. I was after something that improved the approach angle and enabled me to fit a couple of lights and winch without losing the looks of the car. It's steel and weighs about 30kg so not adding too much to the front end weight.

Hoyks

I've had a bull bar on 50% of my 4x4 vehicles: 2 Sierra's (1 with an ally bar, one without), Terrano II (without a bull bar until I hit a roo, then got ally one as it was cheaper than the plastic bumper), Courier- without and BT50 (current)- with a steel one.

I can honestly say I have yet to hit a roo in a vehicle with a bar on it, so for me anyway, they have a 100% record at animal strike prevention:D.

Only hit one without a bar, it splintered the plastic bumper and went under the car, bending the steering idler arm on the way past (discovered that a few months later when it was chewing out bushes). Car was still driveable and the new bull bar didn't protect those bits anyway.

I do around 30-35000km/year on mainly rural roads and shift work, so its not for want of trying either.

I got it for better approach angle and something to hand a winch off. Somewhere to mount lights and a antenna or two was just a bonus. Less liable to damage than a plastic bumper, but if you cop a big hit, at least a plastic bumper has some give and can be cut out of the way.

Good luck straightening a folded, and now bent, 2.5mm steel or ally bull bar after hitting something. If its bent into the wheel, then a 6 foot crowbar might bend it a bit... if you have one handy. It's pretty much an insurance job from that point as the nice solid steel construction will transfer the impact into the 0.8mm pressed and spotwelded steel body.

I've also seen a crash test report that showed on mine spec hilux's, they made them less safe in an offset crash.

I've had to upgrade my springs to carry the weight and with the winch (no 2nd battery up front either) I'm on the boarder line for maximum front axle weight.

I'd probably get another, but all considerations.

Last edited:

discomatt

I have an alloy ECB front bar on mine, quality through and through, heaps lighter than steel but still offers great protection, light and areal mounting plus improved approach angle