Bullbar lights, Spread or Pencil beam? or Both?

KDA

Gday,

just after a bit of advice for a newby on driving lights for general/country use on my nissan navara's bullbar. Is it better to have both spread beams, both pencil beams or do one of each make the best of both worlds?

omvanders

I've got 2 x Lightforce 170's, with one having a spreader lens and the other a pencil beam lens. That's what was recommended at the time, and the setup works well. Then again I've got a spare pencil lens so with the Lightforces it only takes about 5 seconds to change over to 2 x pencil beams if ever I wanted to.

Choice of brands is pretty important. Generally the old rule applies... you get what you pay for.

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
G'Day KDA, Most 4X4 shops reccomend when selling spotlights to have one pencil and one spread. I found that to be usefull in my old tojo's but these days with the introduction of polycarbonate lenses in headlights and upgraded bulbs and reflectors with fog/driving i found that most new car headlights are better than after market spread beam lights so I opted to fit two pencil beams to my bar. My headlights are great spread beams and if i need more then just turn on the fog lights.

If you got an older car then you might want to opt for both pencil and spread but don't rule out a headlight upgade either. You can spread your headlights and fit two pencils.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Improved wiring for your headlights so you get 12.8v to the bulbs makes a big difference. with spot lights, it depends on you driving. No good having pencil beams if you drive winding roads or driving driving lights when are driving long straights. Generally people purchase a combo of pencil and driving. Depending on the spot light you may find 2 driving lights with HID bulbs more to your liking. The days pre-HID was the option of which wattage you were going to use.

I have 2 driving lights from Narva 175 Ultima which give 300+ meters of light in front on the highway, with HID installed that goes over 400+ meters. The first thing is work out you budget and what lights will fix on the bars.

Cibie and Narva are a good to look at, there are many others worth a look too

KDA

thanks for the help i think its shed more light on my decision,

ive been looking around and like the look of the Rectangle IPF 800xs/800 series driving lights rather then the round style lights, i have looked at other brands like lightforce, narva etc and found some of them to be a bit on the $$$ side of things.

how do people rate the IPF series?

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer

ive been looking around and like the look of the Rectangle IPF 800xs/800 series driving lights rather then the round style lights, i have looked at other brands like lightforce, narva etc and found some of them to be a bit on the $$$ side of things.

I got 2 round ralley IPF lights and love them

omvanders

bmurray wrote:

If you can get a copy of 4wd Action No.139 has a good light comparison

That's an excellent article... what swayed me to the Lightforces, but there's other good choices spelt out also, depending on your budget.

EDIT: Actually I just went and checked... the comparo that I read was in Overlander Sept 2008. It doesn't have the IPF rectangular units however. :(

Last edited:

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Do your homework before you purchase any lights. There are many good lights out there these days, you need to decide on your budget, which lights fit/suit you bar work and what application you need them for.

rodw

Growingup in western QLD with dirt roads everywhere in flat terrain (eg straight roads) We used to go for pencil beams focussed on the water table and the headlights down the centre. My Lightforce 240's have a lot more reach than what we used to have but I have not had a chance to use them in open road conditions. Maybe in hilllly stuff, one of each would be good, but fo rme, I will stick with 2 spots. The objective was to be able to see off the road for animals etc well ahead of any object in the centre of the road.

croozza

I used to have them on my old rig, and I found them to be great in the burbs, but get them out in the country and it is a totally different story, they can't cut the mustard, fortunately I had the headlights upgraded so that helped out alot, it was a big eye opener for me, so I don't muck around with my spot lights anymore, I changed over to the HID Narva Ultima 225's, and that was one of the best things I ever did, but you can now get a HID conversion kit for the IPF's so that will help alot, but just shop around and get what suits you. The less you pay the crappier the lights will be.

goldrush

With my Fyrlyt's I have the ability to switch between spot and spread in seconds by rotating the bulb holder on the back of the light. They are a halogen light but will outperform HID. I know that's a big claim but I have compared them. Ask Sambartom, Deadman or talk to the boys at GOR if you doubt my claim.

highlander

Do your homework before you purchase any lights. There are many good lights out there these days, you need to decide on your budget, which lights fit/suit you bar work and what application you need them for.

IM A BIT CONFUSED ABOUT THIS TOO, FITS YOUR BAR WORK? OR APPLICATION? I DONT MEAN TO SOUND IGNORANT BUT DONT LIGHTS JUST LIGHT UP WHATS IN FRONT OF YOU,WETHER ITS AT A DISTANCE OR TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD, PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME, PUN INTENDED GUYS
:D

croozza

IM A BIT CONFUSED ABOUT THIS TOO, FITS YOUR BAR WORK? OR APPLICATION? I DONT MEAN TO SOUND IGNORANT BUT DONT LIGHTS JUST LIGHT UP WHATS IN FRONT OF YOU,WETHER ITS AT A DISTANCE OR TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD, PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME, PUN INTENDED GUYS
:D

The lights need to fit in the gap of the loop in the bar, have seen many times where someone buys some great lights, only to be dissapointed when they try to fit them as the lights dont fit in the bar.
You can get different types of lights, Spot, spread or both, and then there is HID and LED.

croozza

With my Fyrlyt's I have the ability to switch between spot and spread in seconds by rotating the bulb holder on the back of the light. They are a halogen light but will outperform HID. I know that's a big claim but I have compared them. Ask Sambartom, Deadman or talk to the boys at GOR if you doubt my claim.

1. What HID's did you compare them to, are they converted to HID, cause they will never be as good a a true OEM HID.
2. 24 volt lights should never be comared to 12 volt lights

Rangie86

I'm very seriously looking at a pair of these at the moment, but I want to see a set in action before I hand over my hard earned. As Croozza said - what HID's do they out perform - I have seen the comparison on the FYRLYT website - against halogen Light Force, but they didn't have a comparrison to any decent HID's - don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging them - I love the look of them, and I have heard very good reports, but seeing first hand would be great - anyone in the Melbourne area got a pair fitted that I can go and look at?

goldrush

1. What HID's did you compare them to, are they converted to HID, cause they will never be as good a a true OEM HID.
2. 24 volt lights should never be comared to 12 volt lights

1. I don't know what brand the HID's my mate has are but they are not huge dollar units.
2. I really don't care if they are 12v or 24v because all that matters is whether I can run them on my Patrol.
3. You seem to be fairly sceptical of these lights for someone who has entered the competition to win a set.

croozza

1. I don't know what brand the HID's my mate has are but they are not huge dollar units.
2. I really don't care if they are 12v or 24v because all that matters is whether I can run them on my Patrol.
3. You seem to be fairly sceptical of these lights for someone who has entered the competition to win a set.

I am trying to win them for a mate of mine, plus I would like to see their performance first hand. Dont get me wrong, I'm not bagging the lights, I just dont think it is fair to compare 12 volt againt 24 volt.