Change background image

BT50 / Ranger Oil Draining

Discussion in 'Ford / Mazda' started by cookie64, Apr 29, 2014.

1. cookie64

cookie64 4x4 Earth Contributer

2. MatOZ

MatOZ New Member

Looks like one of those design ideas that looked good at the time but the cons have out weighed the benefits.
    Not to mention the Ranger and BT50 don't really outshine the completion in fuel consumption.

3. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

This issue seems to be blown out of proportion - iv heard of one ute having that problem and it was right early on. Normally these issues are all over forums if they really are a big problem.

Good to know if your servicing yourself but i think you would have to be unlucky for it to be a big problem.

4. MatOZ

MatOZ New Member

I'm really not sure how big the problem is with these engines. Though for a company like Autodata to release a service bulliten, must be some field of evidence.
    I have seen bearings diesel on genset units that have no warm up period.
    Example, they start and go staight to 1500rpm with full load applied.
    Some of these engines have early bearing fatigue due to the engine oil to not completely lubricating the bearings upon start up. Not completely the same senario, but low oil supply appon start up causes a certain amount of damage time after time and depending on the amount of time.
    Maybe the damages are not issues at this point of time, but bearing life long term might be the issue for the Autodata bulliten.
    Ford and Madza would bend Autodata over a barrel if the document had no evidence behind it.

5. patrolgu4

patrolgu4 Active Member

So, how is it done when starting the engine for the first time then? Otherwise it is utterly idiotic design as 10 mins drain time is rather dodgy to get oil all out especially if the vehicle have just been driven on to the pit or on to the hoist? The oil would surely take longer to drain back to sump then 10 mins.
    Regards

6. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

I don't think most garages would care to be honest.

When mine's services at home by my mech, I set up the vehicle the night before and drain cold.
    Used to like draining warmed up, but can't get into areas when everything's hot for some aspects, so cold it is now.

Of course mines a PK and supposedly not the same issue as the PX, I just let it drain until it starts dripping, you'll never get all of the old stuff out anyway.
    Once I get soot out of system (soon, very soon :)), then I am sure my oil will be a lot cleaner anyway, after a service or two see a flush out of the remnants of carbon.
    ATM when I change oil, it is almost black again within a very short time, maybe 500km or so ?

7. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

From what iv seen there was a fault in some oil pumps on the PXs that caused this issue and they tended to have other oil issues.

There has been a few revisions of the oil pump early on.