Broken fuel line

SlimTim

G’day all,

Ran out of fuel on my 1997 hilux. I had a suspected air leak as when I was pumping the manual pump it would pump a couple of times then go really hard. Then, after I left it for a bit it would pump a few times then go really hard again.

Could get fuel to the fuel filter, but didn’t notice anything coming out of the injector lines.

Then, I managed to break this fuel line on the front of my fuel pump (see photos). I’m in a pretty remote area but hopefully have access to another hilux of similar vintage that I might be able to get another fuel line off.

My question is, how do I unbolt this bolt on the front of the pump without breaking the pipe? I don’t want to make the same mistake on my potential spare one.

There are two bolts, but there attached.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers, Tim.

Attachments

• IMG_2106.jpeg
    IMG_2106.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2106.jpeg
    IMG_2106.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2107.jpeg
    IMG_2107.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32

typhoeus

That looks like a banjo fitting.
1712557573715.png

So you need to hold a spanner on the bottom fitting to hold it firm while you undo the bolt from the top ( the bit you have your thumb on in your pic). That bolt will look like the one in my pic .. undo the pipe at the other end to give yourself some wriggle room and not bend it while you're undoing it.

SlimTim

That’s it. I definitely buggered it up then. I snapped the pipe undoing the banjo fitting.

Not good considering my distance to a spare parts shop.

typhoeus

Well, you're not likely to make the same mistake again, consider it a lesson learned from experience. A workshop manual would be a useful item considering your circumstances.

SlimTim

Well, you're not likely to make the same mistake again, consider it a lesson learned from experience. A workshop manual would be a useful item considering your circumstances.
Managed to find a banjo fitting on an old four cylinder landcruiser. Fits nearly perfectly.

You’re right, just another lesson learnt the hard way.

Attachments

• IMG_2113.jpeg
    IMG_2113.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 20

Hoyks

I've repaired one with a TIG welder, but yeah, a replacement would be a better option. Its a bit hard to see, but it looks like there is a threaded adapter that the banjo bolt then screws into. Probably best to hold that fitting with a spanner, while you undo the bolt with a socket.

But, you won't be the last... This is how a professional does it with a rigid hydraulic line.

pipe.jpg