Brindabella

I would like to go from Bellconnen to Rules Point via Brindabella. There is conflicting information on the web about closed gates. I plan to travel outside of the winter (closed) season via Uriarra Rd, Brindabella Rd, Grace Rd and Long Plains Rd. Does anyone know if this trip is possible?

smitty_r51

Yup. Get in touch with nsw Parks (can't remember which office is responsible for the park) and they will email you a mud map pdf that takes you down broken cart for trail

Nice drive, although last time we came back it was rough... Bloke we picked up in a range rover had three flat tyres from rocks... But that is more testament to him and his car than the difficulty of the track

Choook

I went from Snowy Mtns Hwy via Long Plain Rd, Broken Cart Trail, Bramina Rd and Brindabella Rd to Canberra via Cotter Dam just after Easter last year. These roads/tracks were in reasonable shape (a bit rutted in places) but what maintenance has been done after the winter close, I don't know.
A couple of days before we left Cooma I went to the visitors centre who put me on to the Tumut visitors center (02 6947 7025 tumutrvc@environment.nsw.gov.au) who were most helpful with that northern area of Kosciuszko National Park.
Hope that helps.

Thanks all. Based on the above comments I checked out SixMaps. It is clear what the problem is. Crace Lane/Road has not been built within the road reservation but on private land. Hence why a year round gate has been installed at Bull Flat Creek. The way in for me would seem to be Brindbella Rd, Boundary Rd, Powerline Road, Bramina Road, Boundary Rd, Broken Cart Trail, Long Plain Rd to Snowy Highway.

Last edited:

Choook

Thanks all. Based on the above comments I checked out SixMaps. It is clear what the problem is. Crace Road has not been built within the road reservation but on private land. Hence why a year round gate has been installed. Way in for me would seem to be Brindbella Rd, Boundary Rd, Powerline Road, Bramina Road, Boundary Rd, Broken CartTrail, Long Plain Rd to Snowy Highway.
There in lies another problem. Boundary Rd off Brindabella Rd also runs through private property that's why you need to go down Barnetts Rd to get to Bramina Rd. That's the information I got from Tumut Visitors Centre. It's a nice drive, take your time and keep an eye out for brumbies in the more open areas towards Long Plain Rd.

Thanks Chook. I had looked at the .pdf map above. Looking at Hema I can see that Boundary Rd crosses in and out of private property, although no gates are shown and Hema shows it as an Easy track. The Tumut Visitor map does not show Boundary/Powerline as an option. So it does look like Bartnetts, Barmina, Boundary, Broken Cart.

I did Brindabella to Rules Point about 35 years ago. No gates then and if no gate we assumed it was OK to travel. Those were the days.

Choook

Actually I'm not sure now I think about it and checking the 25k topo I took with me. When I spoke to the powers that be I was coming the other way and there is far more of Boundary Rd in private property south of Powerline Rd (where I was coming from) than north. So you may well be able to get in that way, I'd still give Tumut a call and check, good to have the latest track condition info too.

Synchro

When the local 4wd Club head to Long Plain Hut from Canberra they follow Brindabella Road over through Picadilly Circus, down to Brindabella Valley and up again, on toward Tumut but turning left onto Barnetts Road. Then continue on to Bramina Rd, Boundary Rd, Broken Cart Track and Long Plain Road.

Actually I'm not sure now I think about it and checking the 25k topo I took with me. When I spoke to the powers that be I was coming the other way and there is far more of Boundary Rd in private property south of Powerline Rd (where I was coming from) than north. So you may well be able to get in that way, I'd still give Tumut a call and check, good to have the latest track condition info too.

Yes that is right. The map above appears to show the road on the boundary but as I said, on Hema it is clear it is on private property near Brindabella Rd as well as further south.

I will try and seek clarification from Hema as well.

Choook

I couldn't upload the PDF of the 25k topo I have (8627-3N Bobbys Plains, download from SixMaps) file too big, so I cut this piece out. The circled areas are the definite parts of Boundary Rd that are on private property. This is why you may be able to come in from the north. The NPWS PDF (attached above) shows the "Preferred Route" but also shows part of Boundary Rd and Powerline Rd as "Public Road". National Parks may just be playing it safe by trying to keep people as far as possible from adjacent private property to avoid any conflict/issues, particularly with gates and fencing. I think the proper authorities are your best bet for acurate information, mine could just be the rantings of an old man.:oops:

Attachments

Choook

.......mine could just be the rantings of an old man.:oops:
Just went down to "Street View" on Bridabella Rd and there is a sign at that intersection with Boundary Rd that points westish on Brindabella Rd and says "ACCESS TO KOSCIUSZKO NATIONAL PARK 36Km". So looks like Barnetts Rd is it. As I said I think it may be the NPWS protecting neighbouring property to ensure their access is not impeded, which is fair enough.
Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:

Synchro

As I said - the instructions I put up are used locally and last used a few weeks back - bypass private property but sections are a bit slippy slidey with some deep ruts to slide into.

Easily followed on Chook's PDF map.

barcher

Grace lane south of Brindabella has been locked for quite a few years now, locals complaining about traffic and dust. When it comes to Kosi NP and vic HC get Rooftop maps. The one with the info you're looking for is Rooftop's Kosciuszko Northern Activities Map.