Brighter Spotlights are not the answer !

Buxter

I purchased a pair of those Kings 9" LED Spotties, with the intention of retiring my Hella Ralle 4000 spotties, with 75Watt HID's
Get with the times I thought !

I did make a mistake, although extremely bright, I am wearing most of the light, reflecting back in my eyes and making night driving a chore.

Bright is not the answer, light penetration is.

Fyrlyt's are the answer !
Thanks to Roachie, who took us for a night drive and showed me what light penetration is all about, and with standard 100 watt halogen globes, we could see way down the road, and have no eye strain at all, and past those ridiculous bright reflective signs that the Main Roads guys like to put up in their hundreds.
These lights have it all, and everything is fully replaceable.

They are definitely on my list, and in the mean time I will be putting the 10 year old Hella's with new 100 Watt Halogen globes, back on the bullbar.

Cheers
Buxter

Triton14

Depends on a few things really like where they are located but also not a fan of LED spotlights, to much flood/spread in most of them.

The way I set up my 3 lights is 2 Narva HID pencil beams for distance & a LED light bar for closer proximity.

Personally I don't think you can get the best of both worlds from just 2 spotlights.

I've had heaps of different lights over the years from expensive Cibie and Piaa to no name light bars. I must say that the HID globes that I put into my standard VE Commodore headlights are by far the best lights I've driven with. Before anybody points out that it's illegal to run HID's in your car without headlamp washers and auto leveling I'll just say "I Know, I Know!" But, I can honestly state that after adjusting them correctly and having had them on the car for over 5 years and 80,000 kilometres that I have been flashed once and once only and that was by some clown who copped it as I came over the crest of a hill. Any lights would have shone directly into his eyes as we all know. The other fantastic thing with both HID and LED is that because of the colour temperature (I always go for 6,000 Kelvin which is akin to normal daylight) they cut through fog and enable you to see the road surface. Having worked shift work for 13 years as a freight train driver in the Southern Highlands of NSW trust me I know about FOG and driving at night.
I have also just purchased a set of 9" Kings Domin8r's for my 4x4. I'm still waiting for the bullbar to arrive before they can be fitted. Nowadays the worst thing with any lights is what you get reflected back at you from the myriad of different road signs in use today. I don't know why we need so many of the rotten things. Hang on yes I do!, it's because there are so many crap drivers out there that run off the road and into other people. In all honesty though I think they should look at an alternative reflective material or work out a way to tone them down. Most can be seen from well over a kilometre away just with crappy standard headlights. These signs have in fact created a whole new night time driving hazard. As far as LED driving lights go I think they have come a long way. The last lights I had on my previous 100 series cruiser were 9" Narva halogens. They were 100w with one spot and the other spread. If I could have swapped the pencil for another spread I wouldn't have hesitated to do so. The spread beam gave great vision to the sides which in my particular area of habitat was crucial for spotting and avoiding wildlife at night. In addition to that the spread beam still lit up a distance ahead of several hundred metres. If you can't spot an obstruction and brake in time to avoid it over that distance then you are either driving way too fast or you're an idiot (Possibly both come to think of it!). I also had an issue with light reflecting off my alloy bar. I overcame this by fitting a smoke tinted bonnet protector which solved the problem.
I have always been of the opinion that the more light the better but, I think the quality and adjustment is really the most important thing. It really comes down to personal choice and the type of driving you do. Let's face it as I indicated earlier, "Why do you need to see 10 kilometres ahead of you?" Cheers!

I just had a look at the Fyrlyt's and they look pretty impressive. The only thing that would put me off them is the considerably higher price and the fact that halogen globes don't like bumps on the road and blow. HID globes if available would be way better as they don't have a wire filament like halogen and instead have electrodes like a spark plug that create an arc. Bumpy roads wont kill HID, and LED are more robust as well.

littleGem

I purchased a pair of those Kings 9" LED Spotties, with the intention of retiring my Hella Ralle 4000 spotties, with 75Watt HID's
Get with the times I thought !

I did make a mistake, although extremely bright, I am wearing most of the light, reflecting back in my eyes and making night driving a chore.

Bright is not the answer, light penetration is.

Fyrlyt's are the answer !
Thanks to Roachie, who took us for a night drive and showed me what light penetration is all about, and with standard 100 watt halogen globes, we could see way down the road, and have no eye strain at all, and past those ridiculous bright reflective signs that the Main Roads guys like to put up in their hundreds.
These lights have it all, and everything is fully replaceable.

They are definitely on my list, and in the mean time I will be putting the 10 year old Hella's with new 100 Watt Halogen globes, back on the bullbar.

Cheers
Buxter
Couldn't agree with this more, main reason I can't justify upgrading from my old school Lightforce 240s (still get 900mtrs out of them) on my GU.
However I have a stedi Lightbar on my Dmax and a mate has the same Stedi Bar matched up with a set of there type X pros, very useable combo.
Another mate has the ultravision 180Max with 255 bar, in 4000k, and there is minimal glare for a setup that could litterally land a jumbo jet on a highway if it had to, while Fyrlyts are awesome, Kings in general are Junk and I belive that a spotlight and bar is the perfect combo as long as they're indvidually switched so can use them seperatly when needed

Last edited:

Albynsw

I run lightforce HID with a smallish single row light bar which gives me a good spread and like the combo setup. Although my son has a set of Great White led spotties and they are very impressive as well

cam04

I had a HID/lightbar combo last. HID/halogen around corners, on tracks etc drive you nuts with hot spots and focussed beams and the light bar (mine) was only OK at highway speed with not enough penetration. So switching was mandatory. I’ve got 9” XTM led’s now which flare off everything ( not as dazzling as a HID on a direct hit though) but have a very even spread and no hot spots - there is always light where you want it. I’m happy with them. I’ve had lights that penetrate a long way (bull lights and IPF’s), but load state of the car changing means the focus is never where you want the light to be.