Change background image

Bridges

Discussion in 'Photography' started by 99pc chimpanzee, Mar 20, 2018.

1. 99pc chimpanzee

99pc chimpanzee Well-Known Member

the engineering and effort that goes into building these ol school bridges and the lives that are often lost I find very interesting,there was an awesome trestle bridge near lake tyres just off pacific highway,has anyone uploaded here or has a copy and can do,that would be great,Cheers.
    DSC00425.JPG DSC00630.JPG

2. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

The Noojee Trestle Bridge is really neat.
    IMAG0278.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

Jaye, Albynsw, Swaggie and 9 others like this.
  3. Spooner

Good Photo subjects the old bridges are mate , there are a few still left around.
    There is one at Timboon , that I haven't had time to stop and have a good look yet .
    But I have to drive under it to get to the local limestone quarry once a month to pick up bags of lime. Ive got less man 2" height clearance and a tight 45 degree turn and can just squeeze through . Will check it out better one weekend when not working .

IMAG2327.jpg

4. 99pc chimpanzee

Hell yeah,got to get myself to that one at noojee,looks like the one i am thinking of on the east side of lakes entrance,about 15kms away,flamen camera packed up when i was there
    Pulled my finger out and googled,its the stony creek trestle bridge at nowa nowa,its huge too

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    underdog and Spooner like this.
  5. Spooner

The Stony Creek bridge is great , I don't have any photos of it.

6. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

Just got back from Tassie and visited the oldest Bridge built in Australia at Richmond.
    DSCN3873.JPG
    DSCF2177.JPG
    DSCF2175.JPG

7. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

Col has, I've just got back from a trip so will post them tomorrow plus one that hasn't been mentioned.

Col.

99pc chimpanzee, Mr Rum and Spooner like this.
  8. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

20180330_133858.jpg
    20180330_133755.jpg
    20180330_133724.jpg
    Found this old beauty over Easter weekend, thought it was pretty cool.

9. rogerazz

Old Railway Bridge near Walhalla. Walhalla rway bridge.JPG

RBJET, dno67, 80lover96gxl and 4 others like this.
  10. rogerazz

We visited the Spiky Bridge in Tassie. It's just a bridge but it's pretty cool. Built by convicts in 1843.
    The bridge was made from field stones laid without mortar or cement and the parapet features field stones laid vertically, giving the bridge a spiky appearance.
    It's claimed that the spikes were designed to prevent cattle falling over the sides of the bridge.
    The bridge is 7.5 km south of Swansea on Tasmania's East Coast, on the western side of the highway opposite the beaches of Great Oyster Bay.
    Notice in last pic I sent my missus up there to compliment the "spiky bridge look" :).
    2007_03240306.JPG
    2007_03240307.JPG
    2007_03240308.JPG
    2007_03240309.JPG

11. Spooner

There is about 3 or 4 trestle bridges up around the old Rubicon Hydro area , This ones called the Siphon bridge I think , you can drive underneath it if coming from or heading to Tom Burns track (Closed in Winter) . It was destroyed by bushfire some years ago and rebuilt to original specs :)
    Rubicon Bridge.jpg

12. 99pc chimpanzee

Wow some great shots,you never stopped being amazed do you-a spikey bridge,awesome....I get off on the opening ones that span the rivers too,the old rattlers,the one lane sleeper jobbies,you would know this one at tooleybuck
    DSC01641.JPG
    And I thought I better take the new bridge at murray sunset national park,
    DSC00323.JPG
    DSC00315_LI.jpg
    :)Hope to see your pics soon @BIGCOL

dno67, jacnden, rogerazz and 2 others like this.
  13. Spooner

Is the new Barham one finished yet ? Seems to be taking forever lol

14. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

Here goes fellas, taken from trip reports that I did at various times.

We stopped at the historic Curdies River Railway Bridge just out of Timboon. Built in 1892 with 31 spans, this enabled the railway line to cross the river and flood plain and connect the local butter and creamery factories with the coastal town of Port Campbell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These markings on some of the timbers are of an insect infestation in the timbers prior to them being felled, not a good sign you would think as structural integrity of such timbers would be fairly important but rarely does such borers create too much of an issue. The other markings tell the builders what timber is what and where each particular member should be placed during construction.

[​IMG]

From another report.

As we headed for our next nights camp at Peteman’s Beach in the Lake Tyres Forest Park, we took a side track and stopped at the Wayring Road Trestle Bridge. One of the largest trestle bridges still standing in the state, it really was an impressive sight towering over Jen.

[​IMG]

On the way again I took a back track to visit what was another huge trestle bridge. The Stony Creek Trestle Bridge is in fact the largest still standing in the Victoria.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Col.

PS I'll post more soon.

underdog, Jaye, Mr Rum and 4 others like this.
  15. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Moderator

The Kindee suspension bridge.... the oldest suspension bridge in Australia still operating. Opened in 1936. It shook when we walked over it lol

Attached Files:

16. Gavo

Gavo 4x4 Earth Contributer

This is the best! I love old bridges!
    Enjoying the photos!

17. rogerazz

Recently on a trip to Nagambie I headed out towards Michelton Winery on the Heathcote- Nagambie Road. As I drove over the Goulburn I came across the derelict Chinamans Bridge. Does not look to intact anymore, what a pity.
    Quote from National Trust ........
    "Chinaman's Bridge is of State, and probably of National, historical and architectural significance. Opened in
    1891, it is one of Victoria's oldest surviving timber road bridges, and one of very few surviving examples built
    prior to 1901. It is the third longest all-timber road bridge remaining in Victoria.
    It is the most intact of only two extant examples of the colonial Victorian "strut-and-straining-piece" type of
    bridge derived from a traditional European design. It also retains substantial vestiges of a unique timber lift-span
    constructed to accommodate river-boat traffic between Seymour and Nagambie. When built in the late
    nineteenth century, it was one of a number of large "strutted-stringer" river bridges in Victoria, but was then set
    apart by its unique timber lift span".
    Chinamans bridge (1).jpg
    Chinamans bridge (2).jpg

18. jacnden

jacnden Well-Known Member

This beaut old bridge was on a property in the Riverina we stay on.
    You can see the main uprights are made up of tree stumps, the big one has notches where boards went in to climb and cut
    IMG_0188.JPG
    Sadly it washed away in floods about 10 years ago after standing for nearly a 100 years
    Great subject to bring up!

19. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

The Sale swing bridge is worth a look if your in the area, also not a bad spot
    to stop for a cuppa or a bite to eat.

There's still a few good bridges out there, I found this site while looking for bridges
    a while back.
    http://abandonedbutnotforgotten1.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/
    A lot of the bridges on that site, are local to where I grew up and I traveled
    on or over them many times as a kid.
    There's even 2 pics only a few hundred meters from our current driveway. :)

20. 99pc chimpanzee

The Swing bridge,thats very very cool,all the shots are fantastic,here's a couple more from currency creek s.a
    DSC00716.JPG DSC00717.JPG DSC00718.JPG