Bribie Beach - now not fully driveable

Stevesub

Just got back from fishing and went past the 2nd lagoon on Bribie beach. The lagoon has broken through to the sea and at high tide in impassable. From the sea it looks like there is a 1m drop off from the beach to the water and there would have been a 1m+ surf coming into the lagoon. The break through looks like it is 50m wide

There were around 30 4wd's on the southern side of the break through unable to go any further.

The only access to the beach camp grounds is now from the inland track which is only suitable for high clearance 4wd's and no trailers - unless the lagoon is passable at low tide.

I will go up there later in the week in the Rangie and see what it is like from the land at low tide.

And yes, we did catch a couple of Cod about 1km off Woorim that will be very nice tonight.

Stevesub

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
hi steve thinking about cruising up tuesday for the day ill have a look to does that mean 1st lagoon is nearly ready to break through again

Stevesub

It has broken through at that lagoon. It was nearly there 2 weeks ago, and finally has broken through - must have been the storm last week that did it.

I will be up there on Wed late morning to have a look. My Rangie with the beach permit is with my son right now so I cannot get up there until I get it back, hopefully tonight and tomorrow I am busy all day. It is not worth my while for me to get a permit for the Troopy for one trip.

Stevesub

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
hi guys yeah 1st lagoon has broken through just got back second lagoon hasnt but if we get much rain in the next couple of days i dont like the odds you can get passed ist lagoon if ya dont mind getting your wheels wet threw the lagoon at the back but only 2/3 hours from low tide i dont think it would be much chop at high tide the inland tracks pretty damn good at the moment i dont think i would be towing a camper trailer up the beach from the woorim end though thats all for now we will see what steve has to say tomorrow after the storm tonight as we all know it only takes one good storm to change conditions again catch yas on the flip side:D:D:)

Last edited:

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
so steve what happened at bribie last night the storm got to us lots of lightening and thunder not much rain did it bucket down up there

Stevesub

The storm last night was a non-event at our place. The weather radar had it all around us but we got very little rain or wind. The soft sand on the beach is now fairly firm after the rain but will dry out very quickly.

I went up the beach this morning at low tide and found the lagoon almost empty - it is amazing that so much water has gone. I only went to the 1st (actually it is the 2nd lagoon, the first one is hidden at the 4wd entrance to the beach). Hopefully tomorrow we will go right up the beach which we never had time for today and checkout the other lagoons.

It is possible to drive through the lagoon (still a little water that will probably be salty) and around the bank on the far side to almost the sea to get back on the beach on the northern side of the lagoon

Last weekend at high tide, the surf was actually breaking in the lagoon and the entrance to the lagoon is at least 2m below the beach level and 50m wide. It is definitely not passable at high tide.

My guess is that you could take a trailer but also a spade as the northern bank may need to be dug out to make a ramp to get out depending on what each tide does. Today you did not need to dig but after a high tide, maybe.

Make sure you take recovery gear and a spade as people are getting stuck getting on and off the beach as the sand is soft and with deep ruts. A territory was bogged there on Monday.

Have fun up the beach

Stevesub

Last edited: