Brass Monkey Fridges

darb

Dizzle buy something else I done some research on them, they have limitations for off road and on road use that may be fine for some but not others. The downloads specs for 22, 36, 50, 60ltr models say sit for 6hr after unpacking before use that's ok. The big one is not to be run for long periods of time as the tilt angle must be less than 5 deg so to me that means 4 deg is it and it dosen't take much of a hill to reach that. So it may play up in hilly areas in the bush on the beach even around your town or city or at home in the driveway if it's not level or at work depending where you park. You have to watch how you park overnight or maybe if going for a hike or swim or fishing say at the beach.

They mention keep away from wet and humid places so no good on the ute tray and no good in the tropics. They need a 200mm clearance at the rear, 100mm on the side which is more thn most need.

They have a lot more fridges even uprights for vans I didn't notice downloads specs for them so do your research before buying. When I bought my first 12v compressor fridge 15yrs ago it was good to run up to 30 deg and other people have had their fridge for twice that and more so Brass Monkey are way behind the 8 ball. Hope this helps with peoples choice on what fridge they buy as these would not suit me at all.
that'd be an issue in boats too when they're on the heel underway

Albynsw

I may be way off track but I am inclined to think that it would operate no differently to all the others in respect to operating on an angle.
They are all basically using the same compressor, it is really all the other electronics and cabinet quality that sets them all apart

darb

I may be way off track but I am inclined to think that it would operate no differently to all the others in respect to operating on an angle.
They are all basically using the same compressor, it is really all the other electronics and cabinet quality that sets them all apart
Dometic (Waeco) say 30degrees is OK ... so when used in a boat up on the plane, or a 4wd on a hill (oops I think we've all been past 30 degrees too hah ha)

Not that i really care or am advocating one way or another! but 5 degrees is not much angle at all for anything mobile.

Biddo

Dometic (Waeco) say 30degrees is OK ... so when used in a boat up on the plane, or a 4wd on a hill (oops I think we've all been past 30 degrees too hah ha)

Not that i really care or am advocating one way or another! but 5 degrees is not much angle at all for anything mobile.
Hey guys, I had a waeco cf50 which I sold and bought a 50ltr brass monkey. Simply because of the larger footprint compared with the waeco- food just kept getting buried at the bottom. Amp draw is less than waeco well the cf anyway ;)
Moreton island for a week and it was bumped around alot. Only a yr old but going well.
But Fyi the waeco is 30deg, only for short periods of time as well, so very similar, as seen below. 1st pic bm, 2nd waeco.

Cheers Biddo

Screenshot_20191218-101121_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20191218-101043_Drive.jpg

Last edited:

Julesr141

I just bought one as well. Any thoughts on it’s performance?
It can't perform according to claims of power consumption.
Very noisy.
Door has no latch and flies open whilst travelling emptying content onto floor.
Frosts up within day of defrosting.

Julesr141

Yep, I'm of the same opinion.
Never heard of the brand but if it works okay and isn't greedy for Amps then the price i right.
I'm gonna look them up. Thanks
Very amp hungry. Very noisy, very frosty and door constantly flies open.

Batts88

Are you serious no latch to keep the lid shut ? If so that would explain the frost, power consumption. items coming out on rough tracks not something you need.

SwoffaNZ

Had a 36L for several months and works well as a fridge/freezer. Lid does not pop open on mine. Made an aluminium slip in cover for the freezer portion as I use the fridge side most of the time. Jaycar appear to have rebranded their previous fridges (possibly powertech brand) as Brass Monkey . Power consumption is not a problem-max of 4 amps- but I do have a 140ah deep cycle house battery plus a 200w solar blanket . I also have an insulated cover but don't zip the lid up, just use the velcro. Will it last? , that is the $400.00 question - but considering I can by 3-4 of these compared to a Waeco / Dometic or Engel I am very happy so far. The readings on the fridge panel do not match my system voltmeter , reads about .4v low.

Last edited: