Brand new 2020 LC79 update "Infomedia" GPS issues

Buxter

I have had several GPS units over the years, but the my new 2020 update LC79 GPS appears to be Crap

maybe I have been kinda spoilt as if I need to hear the GPS a bit more then whilst it's talking to me, you just turn it up and that's it.
Similarly with the radio, and bluetooth....ie all running separate independent voice control volumes, and Bluetooth and GPS will cut out the radio, when it guides you.

Issues are

When "voice guidance" kicks in, the radio does not shut up, instead I get an inaudible jumbled up radio/GPS talking over each other.
Now for this "Country bloke in the "big smoke", that started lots of swearing, and manic cursing for the next 10 minutes whilst I tried to de-scramble the message.

Bugger !

Maybe I have not ticked a "check box in the settings ?
Cant find anything.
Next I discover that the GPS is permanently on in the background, and is trying to tell me that I am approaching the "town boundary"/ Talkback radio and more virtually words to unscramble

Bugger #2

Vehicle goes in for it's 1000km "tighten me nuts up service", and I have a sook to the manager about the above issues, and they made adjustments, that I somehow missed.
Try the GPS on the way home, and same bloody issue.

Bugger #3 and Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !

Anybody know of a fix for this beauty, except for throwing it in the bin ?

Cheers in advance
Buxter

discomatt

How ironic, Toyota finally put some tech in a 70 and the first I hear of it is how crap it is and how the dealer screwed you over, don't worry have a look around at the LR hate, that will make you feel better ;)
Seriously though there will or should be a way of switching off the voice component of the GPS.

Albynsw

How ironic, Toyota finally put some tech in a 70 and the first I hear of it is how crap it is and how the dealer screwed you over, don't worry have a look around at the LR hate, that will make you feel better ;)
Seriously though there will or should be a way of switching off the voice component of the GPS.
Matt I am sure it will not be that cutting edge , probably still has a cassette player :p And a leftover on the shelf from a Corolla from the 90’s
Us Toyota drivers don’t like all this new fandangle stuff. Still listening to tunes on my Sony Walkman

Albynsw

@Buxter , how are you finding the new vehicle? My son did a run out to Bourke for the weekend in a new 76 and he said the gearing is much better than mine on the highway

boobook

Buxter, if you don't get helpful replies here in a day or so, join LCOOL. There is a whole section dedicated to the 70 family. And with about 1000 x 70 series per month selling right now there must be lots who have experienced the same issue with recent vehicles unless it is faulty.

Edit: I just did a quick search over the last year on the 70 section in LCOOL and can't find any issues similar to what you describe FWIW

Last edited:

Buxter

@Buxter , how are you finding the new vehicle? My son did a run out to Bourke for the weekend in a new 76 and he said the gearing is much better than mine on the highway
ALbynsw
It's my 2nd LC79, and I do like them heaps.
First one was a single Cab "poverty pack", and it has served me well, and the new 2020 update is a Dual Cab GXL
Both have a GVM update, but the new one got the ARB GVM upgrade, and it rides and handles very nicely.

Being Brand new it will take a while loosen up, but it's certainly starting to, just a little !.
Gearing is slightly different, but nothing to rave about as I just let the vehicle find it's own way to the speed limit, as you know they are still a V8, and if you hunt them along they will all chew thru the "juice"
Cruising revs are a whisker under 2000, so I expect some savings there.
I choose the Ute, as I will again get a 3/4 length Canopy, and head up the bush Hunting, hence the ute. !

At present I am wiring up a UHF, a Redarc TowPro Elite V3, and a Anderson Plug to the rear to deliver power to our Van.

Towing will be a little different as no remap and bigger exhaust has happened (yet)

Cheers
Buxter
New Cruiser.jpg

Buxter

Buxter, if you don't get helpful replies here in a day or so, join LCOOL. There is a whole section dedicated to the 70 family. And with about 1000 x 70 series per month selling right now there must be lots who have experienced the same issue with recent vehicles unless it is faulty.

Edit: I just did a quick search over the last year on the 70 section in LCOOL and can't find any issues similar to what you describe FWIW
Cheers for the hint
Will keep attacking, but I can assure you that there needs to be an update done real soon, or the bin will begin to be a real option

boobook

I don't know what that one is like. but IMHO there is no such thing as a decent "Off road" GPS from any manufacturer ( though I seem to remember Nissan or Amarok did one about 5 - 6 years ago).

If it only has vector-based street navigation like every other 4wd then your issue may be a blessing in disguise. Vector turn by turn navigation tends to be like 'tits on a bull' off-road anyway. Raster mapping is the only way to go. ( Oziexplorer, Memory Map, Advenza etc).

My mate with a troopy bought one from Brash Imports with Ozi, it's brilliant.

Albynsw

Nice Buxter, congratulations. if I buy another one it will be in that camel colour . There is something about a 79 , they have several shortcomings and they are rough and noisy but give so much pleasure to drive. I have put 250k on mine and it still makes me smile

Buxter

Registered with LCool, but they seem to be taking their time to get back, again

When I got the first 79 series single cab ute, I registered and they never got back to me
I hope this time they don't do the same

Albynsw

Registered with LCool, but they seem to be taking their time to get back, again

When I got the first 79 series single cab ute, I registered and they never got back to me
I hope this time they don't do the same
They are a funny mob over there, there is no banter or OT discussion just factual information. It is like being in a library but it is a good source of information ( just like a library haha)

Triton14

Anybody know of a fix for this beauty, except for throwing it in the bin ?
So do you have the full navigation & multimedia owners manual or just the suppliment?

These things can be very tricky to find in the setting area, I dont know the unit but I can usually find these things with a bit of investigation through the setting, sorry I know that doesnt help.

For one thing it sounds like the GPS is active, as in it sounds like its trying to navigate to somewhere??
Maybe look for a stop navigation tab in the gps find or search setting?

I also wouldnt hold much faith in any toyota dealership workshop guys being able to work this stuff out, I would be emailing someone in Toyota head office support & bypass dealers.

Good luck.

discomatt

I was in a Fortuna early this week, its a mates work car, brand new and upgraded from a Commodore, he hates the electronic safety gear and the infotainment system, he recons the Holden was better in every respect. He also has a 200 for touring and is about to bin the whole GPS and radio system for an aftermarket massive touch screen for over 2k