Change background image

Border track

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by jacnden, Sep 19, 2018.

1. jacnden

jacnden Well-Known Member

just starting to put together an idea of a trip to big desert and after some info on border track. Do I need a permit to drive? From parks SA?.
    Is the one way part of border track from below pinnaroo to red bluff worth the drive?
    I was thinking of starting at wonga camping area then thru snowdrift, firebreak track to white springs, big k( for another try) then west thru cactus bore to border track. I would like to add in pink lakes but it might make it to far for a couple of days
    I'd welcome any ideas

2. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

You need to pay online entry fees (and camping if staying in Ngarkat but dont - just stay at Red Bluff if you want to camp on the track)
    The border track is a good drive if you have not done it before but its pretty rough and slow going.
    Most of the driving in Big Desert is nicer due to smoother tracks, softer sand etc.

Cactus Bore -> Coburns -> Firebreak is a nice drive and good way to get to the border track. I normally do the opposite if heading for Big Billy etc.

Big K is a good reason for a revisit, i want another crack at it too - was so close last time and i have more power now ;)

Bomber2012 likes this.
  3. jacnden

Any idea how far you would get from wonga camp in an easy days drive . Plan is to start sat mornining at Wonga and end early Sunday afternoon at red bluff then drive back to melb

4. mac_man_luke

Never really done that side of the park, cant find those tracks on my maps and cant quite see a good route from wonga to white springs.
    But going on distances it would be some pretty big days of driving. Cactus bore to red bluff would be about as much as you would want to do in a day.
    White springs to Cactus via Big K would be a good few hours especially by the time you have a play on big K

5. Crashtastic

Crashtastic Member

I'm back in Adelaide for a wedding, and my brothers going to take us along the border track for our drive home to Sydney. Would you reccomend doing pinaroo to bordertown, or hit red bluff and then spear off east along the red bluff track? We've got about two and half days up our sleeve's.

6. mac_man_luke

Id head east at red bluff track, south of red bluff there is once good fun dune (which is close enough to go to and turn back).
    After that is just nasty bog holes and potentially lots of mud.

7. Crashtastic

Crashtastic Member

Yeah I'll try and avoid the bogs this time. Cheers for the intel!

8. jacnden

Thanks for the advice , might have to rethink if it’s a big day cactus bore to red bluff
    Wonga to white springs goes passed snowdrift then gunners tk to firebreak tk then onto white springs

9. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Hi Mate,

We did this trip a few years back was a fairly good trip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mac_man_luke likes this.
  10. mac_man_luke

I was going to suggest a route like that, leave wyperfeld for another trip IMO

11. jacnden

Thanks,
    I’ve been from lake albycutya, milmed rock , big billy , big k and white springs , similar to your trip. Was thinking of adding in the nth east part of wyperfeld I haven’t been to

12. jacnden

Might need to add more time or change things a bit . Don’t want to drive all day. Need plenty of time for r&r

13. msg

msg New Member

I am heading for the border track area tomorrow. Can you point me in the direction of Big K. And some other areas worth seeing. We will be there for 4 days so ent of time for a good look around.

14. phs

phs Well-Known Member

35°26.602'S, 141°22.500'E

Good luck

15. mac_man_luke

Nice dune/Look out at the corner of coburns tk and cactus bore track

Another good dune at white springs (north east corner of the park)

Old Murrayville track once of the bette ones, tight with plenty of climbs and descents. Makes a great night run

Good dune on Murrayville track just south of Chinamans well tk intersection
    and another on Murrayville track opposite delisio tk

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FA9VLT8EOYX9w2HeBVuF6gh7M7s&usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1m54y-a0J-6jZPqvQ9QJlT1N2ZX8&usp=sharing

80lover96gxl likes this.