Border track over queens birthday

PK Kitchens

Hey guys and girls.
A few of us are doing a trip along border track on the border of Vic and sth aus. We will be doing a fair chunk of sunset country and big desert as well.

We all live in the eastern suburbs so we've all got a bit of a drive. We are leaving on the Thursday morning and coming home on the Monday.

We wanna be up and running by about 9am every morning and be off the tracks by 3ish to set up a nice camp.

Let me know if your interested in joining and I can post up some more details.

PK

mac_man_luke

Just so you know a fair portion is still shut due to fires at christmas (well thats their excuse!), best check with national parks to see if it will be open.

smitty_r51

I did it last year in a stock pathfinder (r51) with nothing changed but the tyres

Struggled with the big dunes ín the middle of the track itself so i went around the camper trailer track but did everything else without an incudent

PK Kitchens

No real requirements to join in. Just your own recovery stuff and good sence of fun and adventure lol.
There's 2 patrols with 35s and locked going. And a hilux with muddys.
The lux will be towing a camper as well. He's ganna go around the dune where we wanna go over them. :).

The rest of us are swaging it.

Pk

Neddysmith

Would love to but will have to check with the hugs and kisses, not sure if she would be keen with a 9mth old, and I think she would be filthy if I went it alone with the boy....

FODFA

I did it last year in a stock pathfinder (r51) with nothing changed but the tyres

Struggled with the big dunes ín the middle of the track itself so i went around the camper trailer track but did everything else without an incudent

A moderate lift so you don't drag your belly in the sand and low tyre pressures will get most everyone over those big dunes. I have towed my camper trailer over those big dunes quite a few times now.

South of the Intersection with the Centre Track and down to Red Bluff is closed. That's the area with all the big mud holes you see pictures of. Plenty of other good stuff in Big Desert including Big Dune which is doable so long as no one has chopped it up too much before you arrive.

Cheers Andrew

PK Kitchens

We are doing the ring around today or tomorrow so we can finalise are route in the next few days. But of course with every trip it could change at a moments notice. :). If to much of the border track is closed we will just spend more time in sunset and big desert.
We prolly won't do any of little desert as we've done every track in little desert. ( we go there for a week each year ).

PK

PK Kitchens

After about 15 phone calls to different ppl to get the most information I could I think I've got it sorted. I ended up speaking to the park ranger himself.
We can do all of border track except for one little section ( if gates are closed ).
We can do everything down to center track, then take a right back to the highway, go down a few k and turn left back into the park ( first left back in he said ) and that takes us to just below red bluff camp ground ( which is closed ).

So we only miss out on about 3-5km of the border track. The section to the sth of this is where all the big bog holes are,

With added diverts into big desert it's ganna be a big trip. :). Lots of km

PK

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
After about 15 phone calls to different ppl to get the most information I could I think I've got it sorted. I ended up speaking to the park ranger himself.
We can do all of border track except for one little section ( if gates are closed ).
We can do everything down to center track, then take a right back to the highway, go down a few k and turn left back into the park ( first left back in he said ) and that takes us to just below red bluff camp ground ( which is closed ).

So we only miss out on about 3-5km of the border track. The section to the sth of this is where all the big bog holes are,

With added diverts into big desert it's ganna be a big trip. :). Lots of km

PK

If correct, then that's good for your plans.

Looking at Google maps, that few ks of blacktop and left turn takes you to roads you can zig zag east and south to the BT again, with direct route east going to a private property.

Or, the Ranger might have meant Mt Shaugh Track.
A climb of Mt Shaugh is nice for views if you have the time / energy for a short return walk.

Going across to BD area, and possibly Wyperfeld is a great option via Red Bluff Tk just north of Red Bluff camp turnoff . . . watch when wet as Murrayville Tk is damn slippery, clinging clay type mud, then if you go down a track like Milmed Roack track, it makes a concrete like coating everywhere underneath !!

Or of course Red Bluff is my pick of BT camps, then continuing south you have the really big dunes just a few ks down from there, then the tracks that have some mud and holes (if that's your thing).

Just check those holes if considering going through.
They can look like shallow pools over the track when filled, but be deeper than a 4B is high !!

Have a great time, if I wasn't going to the Pyrenees / Mt Cole with a group of SA Earthers, I would have asked to join your trip.

FODFA

watch when wet as Murrayville Tk is damn slippery, clinging clay type mud, then if you go down a track like Milmed Roack track, it makes a concrete like coating everywhere underneath !!

If the Murrayville track is wet I wouldn't be heading down Milmed Rock Track, the area around Round Swamp is virtually impassable in the wet. I believe the local SES expect a very large donation when they go out to rescue people from there.

Cheers Andrew

Sounds good. I have an 80 series, with some bits and pieces. I think we met one day out in toolangi (the day chippy snapped his front panhard rod).

Put me on the maybe list, I need to give the car some tlc between now and then.

Cheers

PK Kitchens

If the Murrayville track is wet I wouldn't be heading down Milmed Rock Track, the area around Round Swamp is virtually impassable in the wet. I believe the local SES expect a very large donation when they go out to rescue people from there.

Cheers Andrew

Never been in a spot I haven't been able to recover myself or someone else. We are about as set up as anyone could be for the hard stuff :). Sounds like the track to hit. :)

PK

PK Kitchens

Just double check with parks as iv been informed everything south of red bluff maybe closed, indefinitely.

I called 4 different places that run that area and they all said the same thing to me. Only closed for a small porion for re gen from the fires. Red bluff is closed. But just below it has been re opened. Pretty much they said if you come across a closed gate, don't go through. If it's an open gate, then go for it. That's straight from the ranger who works out there and would be the one handing out the fines if in the wrong spot.

PK

FODFA

Never been in a spot I haven't been able to recover myself or someone else. We are about as set up as anyone could be for the hard stuff :). Sounds like the track to hit. :)

PK

You could be winching for up to a KM, don't let anyone know if your there as you will get crucified for destroying the track. I am not aware of that track ever getting closed but rather they rely on people doing the right thing.

If its wet and all you want to do is play in the mud then the bog holes on the bottom of the border track will keep you amused without destroying another track.

Cheers Andrew

PK Kitchens

You could be winching for up to a KM, don't let anyone know if your there as you will get crucified for destroying the track. I am not aware of that track ever getting closed but rather they rely on people doing the right thing.

If its wet and all you want to do is play in the mud then the bog holes on the bottom of the border track will keep you amused without destroying another track.

Cheers Andrew

Yep..............

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Sounds to me like they want you to go about 15km or so south of Pretendi Hut latitude to get into the area south of red bluff ?
Maybe you can zig zag your way east - south from that turnoff they said, anyway, I'm sure you'll find your way through on the day . . .

You should be able to get to Telopea Downs Rd and back roads to Nhill - Murrayville Tk, and yeah if you go Milmed Rock Tk (or Chinamans similarly at the south end) and it has rained a lot, it might get sticky for a few km after Round Camp, before you hit Pella Tk (where you can head further to Purra Tk to Lake Albacutya).

One of my TR's through that way . . . http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/sa-trip-reports/17691-border-track-wyperfeld-easter-2012-a.html

Another (wet) one here . . . http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/sa-trip-reports/25684-border-track-july-13-14-2013-a.html
This trip had a heap of rain dumped right through there when we went, but we had no probs end of Chinamans at all, so not sure, maybe it soaked in and hadn't saturated as yet.

Have fun.