Border Tk School Holidays

Grippy

I'm keen for a few nights under the canvas. Was planning on Googs but a mate from work can only get 2 nights away, so Border Tk it is. Camping at Red Bluff is a no go due to Vic border restrictions and being caught in there means 2 weeks of isolation, hmm.
Sooo, planning to drive to Pinaroo, down the Border Tk and camp at The Gums, which I reckon I must have driven past a heap of times and not noticed, it's past the Trig point on the hill somewhere apparently. Set up camp, assuming late arvo, depending on how many punters are out slowing down progress on the track.
Day 2, finish the Border Tk, down to usually Emu Flat Rd, I'm not fussed for all the bog holes or head west down Shaugh Tk, up Ngarkat Highway and west along South Boundary Tk, Mt Rescue Tk and down to Bucks Camp or up to Box Flat for second night.
Anyone keen or been out that way recently know if everythings open?

Grinbot

I can't help you out with any information, but that is a trip I hope to do some day soon. I'm keen to hear how you go.

Skurfer

We live in Vic and have been planning to do the border track again in a week's time. I can't find any information to say it's closed or restricted access due to some of it being on the SA side. Hardly a health risk I guess unless turning off it and heading into SA proper. We are just going to risk it and worst case if we get there and it is closed well just backtrack into big desert. Still plenty more to do in there.

cmurray

We live in Vic and have been planning to do the border track again in a week's time. I can't find any information to say it's closed or restricted access due to some of it being on the SA side. Hardly a health risk I guess unless turning off it and heading into SA proper. We are just going to risk it and worst case if we get there and it is closed well just backtrack into big desert. Still plenty more to do in there.
I was planning to do it Queens birthday weekend. I enquired with National Parks and Wildlife Service SA, and it is closed to us Victorians. I was also just having a quick look at Google maps and it shows the track constantly moving from one side of the border to the other, so it may pay to check with Parks. They have an online chat thing, that is how I checked with them.

Grippy

I was planning to do it Queens birthday weekend. I enquired with National Parks and Wildlife Service SA, and it is closed to us Victorians. I was also just having a quick look at Google maps and it shows the track constantly moving from one side of the border to the other, so it may pay to check with Parks. They have an online chat thing, that is how I checked with them.
I did chat with Parks, it's all open to SA residents, just a warning to stay out of Red Bluff as it's in Vic and gets checks. The map shows the track crossing, it never does, the border fence sits to your left the whole way down.
Aren't we putting a fence the whole way round Victoria now anyway?

1tufgu_wilca

I did chat with Parks, it's all open to SA residents, just a warning to stay out of Red Bluff as it's in Vic and gets checks. The map shows the track crossing, it never does, the border fence sits to your left the whole way down.
Aren't we putting a fence the whole way round Victoria now anyway?
Myself and a few mates did the track from Frances pub north to the back of bordertown, it was a cracking drive with a few bog holes. We tried to stick along the western fenceline as in the past I've headed up the guts and it was nothing but swamp...the track was in fair condition when we went through a couple of nice little challenges also.

Grippy

Not sure if I'm gonna be able to make it, my second battery is toast, I ordered a new deep cycle a couple of weeks back and it hasn't rocked up yet, the mob I bought it from seems useless, no shipping info, grrr. Next week is out, Mrs booked the ferry and accommodation to Kangaroo Island for a few days which should be awesome.
I could run it off the car, but makes me nervous.
Ah well, sometimes shit doesn't pan out

Skurfer

We are off tomorrow with a 3 car convoy. Talked to SA parks and yep border track closed to Vic people due to the border closures. Not sure how they are policing it but not going to take that risk for a track that's not overly special compared to the rest of the park. Red Bluff camp seems to be closed as well to everyone seeing as it's entrance is on the SA side but campsite on the Vic. Rangers patrolling daily apparently.

Still plenty to do in big desert for a 4 day trip staying on the Vic side and will now actually get time to do and visit some spots in there we never have due to lack of time.

Grippy

We are off tomorrow with a 3 car convoy. Talked to SA parks and yep border track closed to Vic people due to the border closures. Not sure how they are policing it but not going to take that risk for a track that's not overly special compared to the rest of the park. Red Bluff camp seems to be closed as well to everyone seeing as it's entrance is on the SA side but campsite on the Vic. Rangers patrolling daily apparently.

Still plenty to do in big desert for a 4 day trip staying on the Vic side and will now actually get time to do and visit some spots in there we never have due to lack of time.
Heaps to see in Big Desert mate. I need to get back out that way, but, we are on the other side of the border, haha