Border passes becoming harder to get.

Noel Preston

Yesterday I received an urgent sms from WA police stating entry conditions are changing as of 12 midnight on September 8. Then later I found an email informing me my application to enter WA was unsuccessful, but I had not applied for one since granted entry at the end of August. I guess that was their way of cancelling all existing passes. When I was granted the last pass it took a week to process and I had to send a copy of my consignment note, a letter from the company for whom I was doing the job, a vaccination certificate if I was vaccinated and then a photo ID on a police app so that if I was told to quarantine they could check on me by phone rather than a physical check. There were some pretty dumb questions in the application, such as "will you be requiring fuel or food while in WA and if yes where will this be purchased? If told to self isolate for 14 days where will you do so? You must answer these questions before you can proceed with the form.
Qld and NT passes come in within seconds of applying, NSW, SA and WA take a week. Qld pass is valid for 21 days, other passes do not state a timeline. My NT pass allowed me to enter the NT at the Qld border and transit through the territory but I needed another pass to cross the WA-NT border on the way home..
WA now requires a negative Covid test not more than 5 days prior if coming from Qld, stricter conditions from Vic and NSW.
Of course there is no standardisation regarding the forms of individual Territories and States.

monbeg

If told to self isolate for 14 days where will you do so?
In July on the way West from Darwin mine got rejected because I put a Kununurra caravan park as the location.
It has to be a fixed address so I put a friends address in Perth and it got approved !

Chatty

When I was granted the last pass it took a week to process and I had to send a copy of my consignment note, a letter from the company for whom I was doing the job, a vaccination certificate if I was vaccinated and then a photo ID on a police app so that if I was told to quarantine they could check on me by phone rather than a physical check.
WA is now starting to be called the Hermit Kingdom with their attitude - I think the name is well deserved.

Apparently with the "quarantine app" they can send you a request any time of the day or night requiring you to take a geolocated selfie within 5 (?) minutes to prove that you're at the approved location. They use facial recognition software to check that the photo is you. If you don't respond within the required time they will send a police patrol to track you down.
There were some pretty dumb questions in the application, such as "will you be requiring fuel or food while in WA and if yes where will this be purchased? If told to self isolate for 14 days where will you do so? You must answer these questions before you can proceed with the form.
You expected smart questions from a government generated form? I wonder what would happen if you answered 'no' to the food and fuel question? Would someone actually look at it and go "So, he's going to be in WA for 6 weeks but isn't going to need food or fuel..."
Qld and NT passes come in within seconds of applying, NSW, SA and WA take a week. Qld pass is valid for 21 days, other passes do not state a timeline. My NT pass allowed me to enter the NT at the Qld border and transit through the territory but I needed another pass to cross the WA-NT border on the way home..
WA now requires a negative Covid test not more than 5 days prior if coming from Qld, stricter conditions from Vic and NSW.
Of course there is no standardisation regarding the forms of individual Territories and States.
Oh yeah, it's a marvellous cock-up of a system. Different forms, different questions, different response times.
I have to travel from Darwin to Adelaide and back on Sunday-Monday next week and the forms and systems are ridiculous.
And then add in that each state has a different check-in app, and they wonder why people aren't compliant with the "system".

You would have though that in this day and age the federal government could have made up one travel application system and one check in system that all the states just accessed for their bits.

It makes me despair that we ever think of ourselves as 'Australians' - there just doesn't seem to be any unity across the country these days.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - we have one too many levels of government in Australia, and the state governments are redundant.

discomatt

Just more proof of the basket case Australia has become, the sooner the state of emergency BS is over the better. Federal government needs to step in, change some laws and end the madness of each state acting like morons

Albynsw

Just more proof of the basket case Australia has become, the sooner the state of emergency BS is over the better. Federal government needs to step in, change some laws and end the madness of each state acting like morons

Yes it is ridiculous how each state acts like it is it’s own country. Don’t know how they fix it but the current situation just hi lights how dysfunctional we can be as a nation

John U

WA has no lockdown at the moment. I know where I'd rather be and I know how I'd like my government to keep me out of lockdown for as long as possible. From Vic it looks sweet as bro.

Yes it is ridiculous how each state acts like it is it’s own country. Don’t know how they fix it but the current situation just hi lights how dysfunctional we can be as a nation
The federal government would be the only entity to be able to do this, or maybe the queen. A process of negotiation should be able to come up with a plan that suits everyone.

Albynsw

WA has no lockdown at the moment. I know where I'd rather be and I know how I'd like my government to keep me out of lockdown for as long as possible. From Vic it looks sweet as bro.

The federal government would be the only entity to be able to do this, or maybe the queen. A process of negotiation should be able to come up with a plan that suits everyone.

I think it is time to do it, with modern technology and transportation we should be much more cohesive than we are not to mention the cost savings of removing unnecessary duplication of administration

sharkcaver

The amount of penal colonists and mexicans over here is staggering. Guess what, they don't want WA borders open either. Personally I wish they would pee off home, but I cant blame them for not wanting to either.

cam04

The Federal Gov’t has tried it on a number of occasions. John Howard being the last I believe with talk of a republic. We are Commonwealth of states though, and our constitution is written such that the balance of power remains with the states.
State govts are based on the Westminster system, so if we want to get it done it would mean saying goodbye to the monarchy (ringing a few bells? A few have tried).
A referendum would require each state to carry a majority in favour, and then it would pass, but the state govt’s would have to carry that work and, knowing politicians, they aren’t well known for walking away from pig troughs, hence the continuation of the pathetic to and fro between states at that level. If someone works out how to bring it to a vote, surely it would pass after seeing this lot under pressure.

synchro1

The constitution wont allow it. The states give the commonwealth power, not the other way around.
Not true - the constitution allows for free travel over internal borders - except when special orders, like health orders are in place. The issue will be when when the rest of the country opens up and health orders are lifted but the Hermit Kingdom keeps them in place. The Feds have already indicated that if State Health Orders remain in place after they have determined they should be lifted then the orders will be challenged in the Federal Court and then maybe in the High Court.

The powers that the States are currently exercising in closing borders only exist as an exception and have to be lifted when no longer required - if not lifted the Courts will sort it. The Feds have also indicated financial penalties may also be applied to the States that keep these policies in place for longer than needed.

John U

The Feds have already indicated that if State Health Orders remain in place after they have determined they should be lifted then the orders will be challenged in the Federal Court and then maybe in the High Court.
Already been been done, and the feds lost.

synchro1

Already been been done, and the feds lost.
Well no - the Feds withdrew before it proceeded - that action by Palmer was on the basis of the Constitution and ignored the issue of health orders which were correctly activated - hence Palmer failed very early in the piece. Completely different action.

In the future, if most of the other States have lifted health orders, WA will be hard pressed to convince the Courts that they also need them - as I said will be up to the courts to determine.

Chatty

In the future, if most of the other States have lifted health orders, WA will be hard pressed to convince the Courts that they also need them - as I said will be up to the courts to determine.
Except of course that the sheeple of the Hermit Kingdom are so complacent that el Presidente McClown has single handedly stopped Covid-19 that the Hermit Kingdom has the lowest vaccination rate in Australia.

So, when the Delta variant gets into the Kingdom (which it will, it's simply a case of when) it's going to rip through the Kingdom like a bushfire.
In which case the health orders will be essential to try to stop the spread.