Change background image

Blue rag range track for newbie?

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by ivan sutrisno, Jul 19, 2018.

1. ivan sutrisno

ivan sutrisno Member

Would it be suitable for newbie? Thinking of heading there in spring.
    Also wondering if my hilux with stock suspension (haven't got the budget to lift it) and BFG AT 275/65 has an enough clearance for this track? I ve been watching some youtube videos on this track, and from the video it looks ok, not saying it is easy. Of course will take all precaution before proceeding.

2. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Its generally a pretty easy track these days, very steep in places but not challenging.
    But conditions can vary so as long as your aware of what your vehicle is capable of and turn around if it gets too difficult you will be fine.
    Always a good idea to go with at least one other vehicle too for safety.

Bomber2012 and Big Rig like this.
  3. Hoyks

Hoyks Well-Known Member

I did it a few months ago, it isn't hard but its a bit rough with a good scattering of fist sized rocks. Probably the most challenging bit was the turn off the main road. It is steep and the drop off each side of the track can be a bit off putting, but the view is spectacular.

I'd recommend airing down a bit as it will let the tyres mold over the rocks and ride a bit easier. The drive past Blue Rag down to the creek is worth it too. The climb back out can see you scrabbling for traction and the airing down will help here as well.
    I didn't and the wheel spin ripped chunks off the tyres:(

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  4. ivan sutrisno

ivan sutrisno Member

hi thank you, i might have someone with me, but not sure if he is positive. He's got a stock suspension 2013 cruiser gxl. We both got no winch. Thinking of getting one hopefully before spring.

5. ivan sutrisno

ivan sutrisno Member

Thanks mate, yes I have a tyre pressure gauge and will drop the air down to 19 or do you have any suggestion?

6. ivan sutrisno

ivan sutrisno Member

another question, can we camp along the track especially on the end where the track meets the river?

7. Hoyks

Hoyks Well-Known Member

25 should be enough and unless it has rained I don't think you will need a winch. I recall the track being quite rocky and it should drain well, I don't think there were any clay sections on the far side of Blue Rag Trig, but there were a few on the main road side and not many trees to anchor to. That bit had several lines to choose from anyway.

Camping: Yes, from memory there are a couple of spots right down by the creek, the best one was across the creek, but good luck with that one on a weekend. The scrub was quite thick up to the track edge, so I don't know how you'd go getting a camp trackside on the way down.

We camped nearby Friday night in a clearing beside Twins Road (about 20km north) and headed down the Blue Rag track early and beat the rush. Coming out there were quite a few cars heading down the track so if you have any issues you won't be on your own for long.

The Friday wasn't too bad.
    IMG_0941.JPG

Bloody hell it was cold at Blue Rag though!
    IMG_0945.JPG

Rags90mod and Big Rig like this.
  8. mrdenn1s

mrdenn1s Member

The track is fine. You could do it in a Kia Sorento. just take your time and enjoy the view. As someone else said, the turn onto the track is the hardest bit with the drain between the road and the track. Just take it on an angle and you will be ok.

You can camp at the bottom where the track meets the river (well, it doesn't really but close enough), but maybe only room for two cars.

9. peterfermtech

peterfermtech Well-Known Member

Closed until November(almost Summer).

regards

Bomber2012 likes this.
  10. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

I did it the week before closing and the first downhill section was pretty chopped up with plenty of wombat holes and it was wet . Dunno about doing it in a Kia Sorrento ????? that must have been a while ago .

Rags90mod, mac_man_luke and phs like this.
  11. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

They graded it about 4 years ago after the fires and it was as smooth as a baby's butt for quite a while. It must be starting to get some character again now?

Bomber2012 likes this.
  12. phs

phs Well-Known Member

We did it late last year, not hard for experianced drivers but I would nt send a convoy of newbies down there

Bomber2012 likes this.
  13. ivan sutrisno

ivan sutrisno Member

Thanks, where can i get information on opening or closing of the track?

14. ivan sutrisno

ivan sutrisno Member

Must be interesting never seen a wombat hole lol
    Thanks for the update

15. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

Think the most tracks reopen 1st November , check Parks Victoria site for specific tracks . I wouldn't mind betting it gets graded before opening as it was a little cut up just before the closing .

16. ivan sutrisno

ivan sutrisno Member

Thanks Bomber. Also saw your post on mt useful trip. Looks awesome. I have put it on my to do list.

Bomber2012 likes this.
  17. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Wombat holes are a bunch of severe undulations that cause your car to get cross axled, that is, one front wheel in the air and one rear wheel in the air. Unless you've got traction control or lockers you are liable to end up sitting still with the wheels in the air spinning.

ivan sutrisno likes this.
  18. peterfermtech

peterfermtech Well-Known Member

//mapshare.maps.vic.gov.au/MapShareVic/index.html?viewer=MapShareVic.PublicSite&locale=en-AU
    BLUE RAG RANGE TRACK
    Closure : June 14, 2018
    Reopen : November 1, 2018

regards

19. Chris Burke

Chris Burke Member

Did it last year all the way to the river and back earlier this year in my Ranger. It really isn't very hard at all if you have done any 4wding before. Track is narrow in places and wide in others. Couple of little water holes along the way that are roughly half way up your tyres if there is water in them. Agree with the little climb getting off the main road to the track proper being the most difficult part.

From the road to the trig point is mostly rocky so is not too slippery even if a little wet. From the trig point towards the river is rocky as well until about 2/3rds of the way along when you start the steeper part of the decent down to the river which is clay based. It would be pretty slippery after some rain and if for some reason you were towing a camper trailer or similar could see you possibly needed to winch if wet as it is a little steep and hard clay. If dry you wouldn't have any problems I wouldn't think.

About enough room for 2 or 3 setups on either side of the river with the better ones on the far side. Would be cold down there as it is in a tight valley that doesn't see much sun. Would be a ripper on a hot day though with the river there to swim in.

Airing down to around 25 or a little lower if you had standard tyres on would see you have no problems at all. No real clearance issues so standard height would be fine as long as you chose your line at a couple of the bit that get a little rockier and took it slow.

20. ivan sutrisno

ivan sutrisno Member

Thanks for the heads up, good to know about wombat holes too. Thought they re holes where wombats live lol. Sorry newb. I have a traction control on my 2014 hilux, so better leave it on.