Black Saturday Property Clearing - Help needed

tektrek

Banned
Hello everyone. Happy New Year and Good Health To All.

Black Saturday Property Clearing - January 16th, 2010

The Country Emergency Response Group (CERG) needs your help on January 16th, 2010 with moving approximately 10-15 tonne of fallen timber from a Taggerty address following the Black Saturday fires. The property owners who are a really nice, elderly self sufficient couple (Marilyn & Ad) have been trying to cope on their own but came to an abrupt halt early December following a mini cyclone that tore through the district bringing down trees, power lines etc.

We have been approached by concerned neighbours and eventually the couple themselves for help. The job requires dragging away fallen timber from near the house to a central wood pile (windrow) at the front of the block. This job is a good opportunity to brush up on our off road driving skills. Some of the timber will require chainsawing into towable lengths and otherwise for winter firewood. Another couple of jobs are the removal and replacement of shade cloth over a 6m x 4m fernery and the laying of foundations for a new shed lost in the fires. We also need a builder or handyman who can help with basic foundations/framing of the shed.

If you have a spare few hours, drag chain, chainsaw and possibly a trailer (big or small) to help us we would really appreciate it.

If you don’t have access to these things we still need your help with loading and unloading trailers.

Estimated time for the job is ½ day at most if we get a good number of volunteers.

Meeting Time: 10-30am, Saturday 16th January 2010.

Meeting Place: Buxton Recreation Reserve, Maroondah Hwy (50m north of Buxton Trout & Salmon Farm).

What to bring: Lunch, drinks, hat, sunscreen, camp chair, family, friends, chainsaw, drag chains, car, trailer, ute. Work gloves will be provided to protect your hands from blisters, splinters and grime.

UHF Channel: 20.

Questions/Contact: Call Evan on 0411 533 248 or email vic_cerg@bigpond.com

Hoping to see you on the day,

Evan
CERG Coordinator

WILKAT

Good luck & hope you get a few volunteers for this project.:)
We would come & help,but your to far away!!!:eek:

russell1974

hi I can not comit 100% but I should be able to make it will let you no closer to the date I will also see if I can convince some others to come up for the day

BEK

4x4 Earth Contributer
G'day Evan

Could you please let me know who or what body covers insurance etc in the event any vehicle was damaged or god forbid someone hurt while helping out.

I know with my club FWDV covers this but note a response in relation to your group from FWDV as follows:

begin quote

Subject: Country Emergency Response Group Inc. (CERG)

Recently a flyer was sent out to clubs by the above organisation in which reference was made to Four Wheel Drive Victoria.

It may therefore be construed that they have an association with Four Wheel Drive Victoria.

This is NOT the case; the Country Emergency Response Group Inc. is not associated in anyway with Four Wheel Drive Victoria.

In the event that a club wishes to volunteer their services to another organisation, then that club must ensure that the group they are working for or who are organising the event, will be providing appropriate insurance cover for that activity. Four wheel Drive Victoria’s scheme does not provide cover for other organisations events.

Our approved volunteer work comes under the auspices of the Rural Response Group, the Victorian Farmers Federation, or Parks Victoria. Both the latter agencies have OH&S procedures and volunteer cover, and the RRG is picked up under the Association Volunteer Program as an approved activity.

Your association guards its member’s rights most vigorously, and our members have the right to do as they please in their recreation. However, our insurance policies are designed to protect our members for our recreation and our approved activities.

In the event that your club is involved in other activities, and would like these to be brought under the Association scheme, then a formal process by way of application, scoping and risk management is essential. We would then apply to our insurers to make provision for that scoping.

If you hear of other schemes, or you receive newsletters implying a relationship with your Association, please check with the office first, and protect your members and their benefits.

Regards,

Russell Sturzaker
General Manager
Four Wheel Drive Victoria
end quote

Just want to make sure the forum members are covered should anything go wrong

tektrek

Banned
G'day Evan

Could you please let me know who or what body covers insurance etc in the event any vehicle was damaged or god forbid someone hurt while helping out.

I know with my club FWDV covers this but note a response in relation to your group from FWDV as follows:

begin quote

Subject: Country Emergency Response Group Inc. (CERG)

Recently a flyer was sent out to clubs by the above organisation in which reference was made to Four Wheel Drive Victoria.

It may therefore be construed that they have an association with Four Wheel Drive Victoria.

This is NOT the case; the Country Emergency Response Group Inc. is not associated in anyway with Four Wheel Drive Victoria.

In the event that a club wishes to volunteer their services to another organisation, then that club must ensure that the group they are working for or who are organising the event, will be providing appropriate insurance cover for that activity. Four wheel Drive Victoria’s scheme does not provide cover for other organisations events.

Our approved volunteer work comes under the auspices of the Rural Response Group, the Victorian Farmers Federation, or Parks Victoria. Both the latter agencies have OH&S procedures and volunteer cover, and the RRG is picked up under the Association Volunteer Program as an approved activity.

Your association guards its member’s rights most vigorously, and our members have the right to do as they please in their recreation. However, our insurance policies are designed to protect our members for our recreation and our approved activities.

In the event that your club is involved in other activities, and would like these to be brought under the Association scheme, then a formal process by way of application, scoping and risk management is essential. We would then apply to our insurers to make provision for that scoping.

If you hear of other schemes, or you receive newsletters implying a relationship with your Association, please check with the office first, and protect your members and their benefits.

Regards,

Russell Sturzaker
General Manager
Four Wheel Drive Victoria
end quote

Hello BEK

In answer to your enquiry I will answer with the following points –

Re vehicle damage – none expected as most vehicles will be parked in an open area away from falling trees and other hazards. FWDV member insurance does not cover accidental damage to member vehicles anyway. Only a very basic personal accident insurance policy exists for personal injury and a public liability policy exists should a member of the public make a claim against a club member or club for personal injury or property damage. If you and your club are unsure of the cover then ask FWDV for clarification.

The undated comment from Russell Sturzaker relates to an incident in May 2009 where someone misinterpreted a flyer as saying that FWDV was connected to the Country Emergency Response Group. This flyer was never tracked down nor the complainant. As usual everyone threw in their two bob’s worth blowing the whole issue way out of proportion without researching the facts. It would appear that you are now doing likewise.

Both Russell and I are fully support each other and are looking forward to the day which maybe soon where a Memorandum of Understanding will be drawn up to support both FWDV and CERG in a partnership with respect to future natural disaster relief. I suggest that you call Russell at FWDV on 9857 5209 if you are still unclear about your obligations, rights and how much you can claim under the provided insurance covers.

At the end of the day it is as always up to you and your club as to whether you want to help the disadvantaged irrespective of any rumours you may have heard. Maybe you would prefer to throw up obstructions instead.

I take it from your comments that you won’t be helping us on the day preferring to wait for direction from RRG while 100s of rural folk continue to struggle.:mad:

Knackers

4x4 Earth Contributer
.....Could you please let me know who or what body covers insurance etc in the event any vehicle was damaged or god forbid someone hurt while helping out.......

Thanks for the reminder to the forum to consider the insurance impact for these events. It's not something we should ignore. :)

Cheers
Knackers

BEK

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hello BEK

At the end of the day it is as always up to you and your club as to whether you want to help the disadvantaged irrespective of any rumours you may have heard. Maybe you would prefer to throw up obstructions instead.

I take it from your comments that you won’t be helping us on the day preferring to wait for direction from RRG while 100s of rural folk continue to struggle.:mad:

There is two ways I could answer this.

One is to say I have been heavily involved in the clean up and recovery and go through the extensive list over the course of 2009 but I figure what the hey !

So all I'll say is hope the day goes well

and will leave the decision as to whether others wish to help on the basis of your reply.

tektrek

Banned
Hello everyone. Happy New Year and Good Health To All.

Black Saturday Property Clearing - January 16th, 2010

The Country Emergency Response Group (CERG) needs your help on January 16th, 2010 with moving approximately 10-15 tonne of fallen timber from a Taggerty address following the Black Saturday fires. The property owners who are a really nice, elderly self sufficient couple (Marilyn & Ad) have been trying to cope on their own but came to an abrupt halt early December following a mini cyclone that tore through the district bringing down trees, power lines etc.

We have been approached by concerned neighbours and eventually the couple themselves for help. The job requires dragging away fallen timber from near the house to a central wood pile (windrow) at the front of the block. This job is a good opportunity to brush up on our off road driving skills. Some of the timber will require chainsawing into towable lengths and otherwise for winter firewood. Another couple of jobs are the removal and replacement of shade cloth over a 6m x 4m fernery and the laying of foundations for a new shed lost in the fires. We also need a builder or handyman who can help with basic foundations/framing of the shed.

If you have a spare few hours, drag chain, chainsaw and possibly a trailer (big or small) to help us we would really appreciate it.

If you don’t have access to these things we still need your help with loading and unloading trailers.

Estimated time for the job is ½ day at most if we get a good number of volunteers.

Meeting Time: 10-30am, Saturday 16th January 2010.

Meeting Place: Buxton Recreation Reserve, Maroondah Hwy (50m north of Buxton Trout & Salmon Farm).

What to bring: Lunch, drinks, hat, sunscreen, camp chair, family, friends, chainsaw, drag chains, car, trailer, ute. Work gloves will be provided to protect your hands from blisters, splinters and grime.

UHF Channel: 20.

Questions/Contact: Call Evan on 0411 533 248 or email vic_cerg@bigpond.com

Hoping to see you on the day,

Evan
CERG Coordinator

On behalf of Marilyn & Ad at Taggerty I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank everyone of you who went up on Saturday.

You all kicked ass bigtime despite the obstacles, heat and the bloody flies! You are currently the talk of the district!!! Well done. :) :) :) :) :)

In a few weeks time we are going back again to finish what we started and soon after that we are going to have a big barbie as a thank you to all CERG helpers.

As Marilyn said last night "God bless you".

oznog05

Good to see the Aussie sprit is still alive and well!

Please lets all know if help is needed again, I couldn't lend a hand this time but will away help when I can!

Well done too all who helped out,

deepop

4x4 Earth Contributer
Good to see the Aussie sprit is still alive and well!

Please lets all know if help is needed again, I couldn't lend a hand this time but will away help when I can!

Well done too all who helped out,

X 2. I'd love to help out if possible. Plenty of warning on the date please.

P.S. Tektrek - I came very close to abusing you for the "...rural folks suffering..." comment. I think we all know what we're going up for and Bek raised a valid point that needed to be clarified.

You sounded like an overbearing greenie pushing a point way past what was necessary just to have your issues heard. Hope we get on better than that when we meet.

Pure Yobbo

X 2. I'd love to help out if possible. Plenty of warning on the date please.

P.S. Tektrek - I came very close to abusing you for the "...rural folks suffering..." comment. I think we all know what we're going up for and Bek raised a valid point that needed to be clarified.

You sounded like an overbearing greenie pushing a point way past what was necessary just to have your issues heard. Hope we get on better than that when we meet.

Just remember guys how people come across within forums etc is normally very different to how a person is in real life. I don't want to come into rights & wrongs as they are all very good points. How things are written (or typed) can come across very different to how the writer intended - forums & e-mails can be very impersonal and often quite hard to establish the context of a message.

Rant over,

Cheers