Birdsville Bakery SOLD !

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer

Dusty has sold the biz !! And for a nice little retirement sum of $1.2 million !!!

http://elsewhere.nine.com.au/2017/03/08/13/06/birdsville-bakery-to-re-open-after-million-dollar-sale

Hope the goods remain as good as they were, time will tell.

Story . . .

The Birdsville Bakery, an iconic establishment in Queensland's most-remote town, is set to re-open under new ownership after it was sold for $1.2 million on March 2.

Former bakery owner and co-founder Dusty Miller handed the keys over to Townsville tour operator Martin Josselyn after 12 years of operation last week. The bakery was the first for the town, which only has a regular population of 120 people.

It's set to be back up-and-running by Easter 2017, and Josselyn has confirmed to 9Elsewhere that the curried camel pies that have made it famous will be on the menu when doors open on April 1 (in fact, the recipe was included in the sale).

Formerly based in Townsville – around 1400km north-east of Birdsville – Josselyn has moved his 4WD tour company Adventure Australia Treks and Tours to Birdsville, with plans to expand both businesses from his base at the bakery.

"We have a tourism business, and we were looking for a tourism destination to base that business," Josselyn told 9Elsewhere, adding that Birdsville ticked all the boxes.

The town attracts between 40,000 and 60,000 tourists on an annual basis, many of whom travel to the area for the infamous Birdsville Races or Simpson Desert Big Red Bash. Others trickle in over the course of the regular tourist season, between March and November.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
The curried camel pies are unreal
My young bloke will be disappointed, he was going to Birdsville today and was going to get a few pies

Well, hopefully the Camel pie recipe is easy enough to follow to ensure the continuity.
Is the bakery open all year round ?
Sounds like it is closed now, reopening Easter . . . I had an idea that it closed in the hot months and maybe Dusty went elsewhere, like quite a few of the locals there do.

The tour operator must have been looking for a new crust that's a lot of dough.
Well someone had to say it.

The operator was in obvious knead of a unique place to base himself, obviously he can now make his cake and eat it / sell it too.

Suppose the new owner is (likely) getting freehold base for his tour ops, as well as the bakery biz.
There may even be a dwelling attached to it, have never looked really.
He would have considered all those things I guess to ensure viability, but yeah he'll want to be making some good $ from both tours and bakery to be paying that (probable) mortgage.

Albynsw

Well, hopefully the Camel pie recipe is easy enough to follow to ensure the continuity.
Is the bakery open all year round ?
Sounds like it is closed now, reopening Easter . . . I had an idea that it closed in the hot months and maybe Dusty went elsewhere, like quite a few of the locals there do.

The operator was in obvious knead of a unique place to base himself, obviously he can now make his cake and eat it / sell it too.

Suppose the new owner is (likely) getting freehold base for his tour ops, as well as the bakery biz.
There may even be a dwelling attached to it, have never looked really.
He would have considered all those things I guess to ensure viability, but yeah he'll want to be making some good $ from both tours and bakery to be paying that (probable) mortgage.

Yes Dusty had a place at the Gold Coast or similar that they went to in the heat of summer, early November I think it was??

I asked him once why he put the Bakery so far away from the rest of town being the other side of the oval and he said that was the closest block he could buy. The rest of the blocks are owned by the same person ( think it might be the pub owner) and he wouldn't sell any of them to him even though they are all vacant