Binoculars

Ol' Harley

Morning folks;

Didn't know where else to post this, if it's in the wrong spot, my apologies.

Does anyone have any experience with image-stabilised binoculars? I usually carry a small pair when I'm out 'n' about in the 4WD, and lately I've been looking at those Canon IS binoculars as an extra (as if I didn't have enough gear...) to pack when I'm on a trip. Sometimes the difference a pair of binos can make to what you're seeing can be fantastic, particularly when you're getting older and your eyes aren't the best. o_O

Anyone know much about them? They seem to be on the expensive side, and if I'm going to shell out the money, I'm looking to find out a bit more about them. I'm not necessarily looking at the top of the line, just a good pair of mid-range ones.

Cheers!

Triton14

Whats in the expensive side to you?

I own a couple of pairs of regular bino's (Leupold & Olympus) so cant comment on how they would be other than I imagine they would use the same tech that you would find in video & digital camera's.

Personally I would prefer something that has better quality glass.

As usual its all about budget, if you have plenty of coin then Leica is one of the best.

Best way to find out how they go is put them in your hands, go into a store & play with a few brands in your price range.

Ol' Harley

Whats in the expensive side to you?

I own a couple of pairs of regular bino's (Leupold & Olympus) so cant comment on how they would be other than I imagine they would use the same tech that you would find in video & digital camera's.

Personally I would prefer something that has better quality glass.

As usual its all about budget, if you have plenty of coin then Leica is one of the best.

Best way to find out how they go is put them in your hands, go into a store & play with a few brands in your price range.

I've seen them for a wide variety of prices. Once things start to creep up towards the $1000 mark, I get an is-this-trip-necessary feeling, largely as a result of the looks from Frankenwife.

Planning to try and get a hands-on feel for them, just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with them.

Chatty

Personally I think the image stabilisation isn't really useful on binoculars as your eye and brain have an amazing ability to cope with image movement. If you really want stability, get a tripod and tripod clamp for the binoculars. I wouldn't shell out the extra for it - if I was going to spend the extra, I would get better optics instead.

Image stabilisation is, IMHO, really only useful on cameras and even then I managed to get razor sharp photos for 40 years without it.

Rusty Panels

I reckon if it helps then it's a plus. I'd be checking them out before I spent the money though. I'd reckon there's only so much shaking that they would counteract.

Ol' Harley

I've had IS on camera lenses before, and it does help out at low light. Like @Chatty I've managed to get good photos for years without it. But for low light, and for extended viewing, then I'm thinking the IS on the binos.

And yes, as @Rusty Panels says, I'm trying to do as much research as I can before I shell out the money.

dabbler

I've always found binoculars with the greater field of view easiest to use even if they had lower magnification. Even with hand shaking, my brain can accommodate movement when there are more reference points to view.

A mate and I would regularly go to the cricket and he would use the same binoculars that he would use watching races at the track. Wonderful magnification but an especially narrow field of view that meant they were great for watching bowling or batting actions but tracking the ball was impossible for me.

Triton14

As mentioned just buy the best glass you can afford.

If you really want to find out what the best bino's are then look into the glass quality & where its made.

As usual looks of gear from different manufacturers is put together in china.

But its where the glass is made that makes a lens.

Japan glass is good but European glass from Germany & Austria is the best which you will pay for.

People who make the best glass in the world like Swarovski & Leica give you the best optics in the world.

Ol' Harley

People who make the best glass in the world like Swarovski & Leica give you the best optics in the world.

Yeah, I not long found out that Swarovski make binoculars. Who knew? I thought they only made crystal sparklies that the ladies liked to wear.

cam04

I was given a set of Russian (Czech?) crystal binos for my 18th birthday. I still have them. They are a bit big compared to current ones but the image is very good.