BillyGoat app project reveal

rhampton

Over the years, I've used most GPS products, inc ozi on a laptop, a few Garmins, and hema, memory map on the ipad more recently. They all have their strengths and weaknesses in terms of mapping support and features. e.g. ozi is really powerful but has a steep learning curve, where as garmins are easy to use but lack mapping.

I'm a software engineer by trade so I decided to start my own part-time project on ios back in 2015. Its now at a stage where major features are in place. Once its fully baked, my intention is to release it as free to use so its widely accessible to everyone. Assuming the community likes it, I will consider an Android release as well. In the meantime, there are some spots available for experienced gps users with ipads to participate in the early access program. Let me know if anyone is interested.

In this case, pictures speak a thousand words. Here are some screenshots of regions around melbourne and vic high country.

IMG_2774.PNG

^^^ Region around wonnangatta station

IMG_2775.PNG

^^^ BillyGoat Bluff track, one of my all time favs! Can you tell? :D

IMG_2778.PNG

^^^ Area just south of Warburton

IMG_2780.PNG

^^^ Porepunkah Plantation near Bright

IMG_2779.PNG

^^^ Map trivia time, where is this?

hiluxdriver

I can't help but notice you got a better response from the guessing game than assistance in developing your product.
I can't fault my Hema 4wd app, and I don't spend time in the VHC so I'm not a great candidate to assist. Good luck with it and please keep updating as I'll keep an eye on progress

phs

I think it looks great,

Being a big fan of memory map using the 25k topos in the HC this seems like a viable replacement due to the ongoing issues with MM

keep us posted

dno67

I don't understand downloading map files and all that guff, so l'm no real help.
I do however love a good map and if it was devaloped and packaged it could end up being a good thing.
Happy to watch it's progress.

peterfermtech

Not an Apple fan boy so no interest for me at present. I will comment on your choice of colours for tracks as the red seems to diminish the pale yellow for the minor road. See Bright near Freeburgh. Also at what zoom level do track names appear?

regards

boobook

Nice rhampton, I am sure that is a lot of work. Like PHS, I am a massive fan of Memory Map but they are trying my loyalty.

What is the map source? It looks like OSM. I have been a harsh critic of OSM for remote mapping in the past due to inaccurate or missing data but it is getting better. OSM can be the best map where there is a lot of traffic but is dangerous in remote locations.

I'd be interested if it was android. I personally don't see the value of spending $1000 or more on a GPS version of an iPad when a $300 Android is arguably better ( more memory and much easier file handling). So I would hold off till you released Android.

If it is OSM based then a track update feature would be good. Maybe tie in some tracking and other features with 4x4earth.

Off line snail trail tracking that updates some website when it sees reception is a must.

Good luck with your project.

Swaggie

I think it looks great,

Being a big fan of memory map using the 25k topos in the HC this seems like a viable replacement due to the ongoing issues with MM

keep us posted
Nice rhampton, I am sure that is a lot of work. Like PHS, I am a massive fan of Memory Map but they are trying my loyalty.

What is the map source? It looks like OSM. I have been a harsh critic of OSM for remote mapping in the past due to inaccurate or missing data but it is getting better. OSM can be the best map where there is a lot of traffic but is dangerous in remote locations.

I'd be interested if it was android. I personally don't see the value of spending $1000 or more on a GPS version of an iPad when a $300 Android is arguably better ( more memory and much easier file handling). So I would hold off till you released Android.

If it is OSM based then a track update feature would be good. Maybe tie in some tracking and other features with 4x4earth.

Off line snail trail tracking that updates some website when it sees reception is a must.

Good luck with your project.

What's going on with MM fellas ????????

rob_macca67

I'm certainly interested if it comes alive.... My experience is mainly with Garmin (Basecamp and Mapsource) but I've also bought a couple of Apps for the iPad. I was silly enough to pay $99 for the OZTopo App and after using it, I'm very disappointed in it. The road definition, colours used to identify roads is poor, no facility to show POI's on the map (doesn't matter what zoom level u went in, u did not see any POI's on the Map, u would have to do a search and a list of POI's would be displayed... The number of remote tracks shown was limited as well, especially up here in Qld.

I then found a FREE App on ios called PocketEarth. I downloaded this and found it very similar to OZTopo but with better use of colours and it did show POI's on the Map. The Topo maps were pretty could but I ended up paying $15 for the better maps and I reckon that this App is far better the more expensive OZTopo App.

What would great would be an App that operated the same as my Garmin Montana 650T. That is that shows the various POI's with symbols that reflect what the POI's is. Example - Pic of a Tent for camp spot, Pic of binoculars for lookout, etc, etc. Also that when upload Tracks, etc that it also excepts the waypoint symbols of the tracklog that u are trying to import.

Not sure whether any of this would be helpful, its just my thoughts of what would be good for the way I use my Nav Apps GPS's....

Rob

phs

Ever since there Aust reseller got the flick they are no longer offering the 25k Vic topo maps so for new users if your wanting it for the HC there new maps are substandard, I can still use myn as I own the map but still using my same device and looking to upgrade in the coming weeks I don’t know if I’ll be able to obtain my maps again as you now need to log on to the American server not sure if migration is available.

Same goes for my Tassi maps which I use a lot for hiking.

Swaggie

Ever since there Aust reseller got the flick they are no longer offering the 25k Vic topo maps so for new users if your wanting it for the HC there new maps are substandard, I can still use myn as I own the map but still using my same device and looking to upgrade in the coming weeks I don’t know if I’ll be able to obtain my maps again as you now need to log on to the American server not sure if migration is available.

Same goes for my Tassi maps which I use a lot for hiking.
Cheers mate what a shame ...

Reactions: phs

boobook

They had some kind of a fight with the ANZ distributor who had an easy to use front end on the website. He also did a really good Aus 250K free topo which has gone.

I think most of the stuff is all still there but it is hard to find from the web site. The 25K topos are still there. You have to login or use the app to see the available maps now.

https://w2.memory-map.com/login.htm

It is nowhere near as easy to browse for new maps. The program / app is the same, if not better. If you buy and browse for maps inside the app it is better than before, Pity they screwed the website.

Last edited:

phs

They had some kind of a fight with the ANZ distributor who had an easy to use front end on the website. He also did a really good Aus 250K free topo which has gone.

I think most of the stuff is all still there but it is hard to find from the web site. The 25K topos are still there. You have to login or use the app to see the available maps now.

https://w2.memory-map.com/login.htm

It is nowhere near as easy to browse for new maps. The program / app is the same, if not better. If you buy and browse for maps inside the app it is better than before, Pity they screwed the website.
Hi boobook,

The a few friends have MM and the 25k topo Don’t show up in the map shop.

On my grandfather account it shows up under obsolete maps

phs

Hi boobook,

The a few friends have MM and the 25k topo Don’t show up in the map shop.

On my grandfather account it shows up under obsolete maps
Actually just now I checked and they are no longer listed as obsolete I’ll get my mate to see if they are available for purchase

Tink

I use an iPad mini with only 32GB and it does everything I need. Basically only use it to surf the web, bigger screen than phone, or for mapping. Apple have reduced their range recently and only offer the mini as a 128GB model which is $779 or the larger iPad with 128GB is $799 but it can still be had as a 32GB for $669. Not interested in debating the merits of either, just posting to clarify the pricing.
TInk

Cyberess

Just looking at the "Billy Goat Buff Link Track" map in a previous post and it's missing a lot of detail.. Like "Little Plain Logging Rd" -- The Gate that on "Billy Goat Buff Tk" I have never driven in this area, due to I live in the NT so I can not confirm the existence of the "Little Plain Logging Rd.

This is from Locus Maps with a free config as posted https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/australian-online-maps-for-locus-maps.45284

The Locus Screen shots are from the Free Version and been scaled down to %80 as for posting to this forum.

Billy-Goat-Buff-Link-Tk001.jpg

The Map Source being used was is Vic's Gov Topo Maps.. The Map was being viewed on a crappy $80 Chinese Android fake spec tablet.

Billy-Goat-Buff-Link-Tk002.jpg

Just zoomed in a little to show the detail