Change background image

Billy Goat Bluff Track

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by morphon, Sep 6, 2015.

1. morphon

morphon New Member

Hello all,
    I have been told that Billy Goat Bluff Track has been bulldozed and has been changed significantly from what it used to be. I am keen to drive along it in October or November. Could anybody who has been along the track recently tell me the condition of the track, please?
    Morphon.

2. tbosu1

tbosu1 New Member

Call DEPI Heyfield

3. Campin40

Campin40 Member

Drove it in march this year. Has been graded and not particularly difficult but still a great drive..

Gr3g and Gavo like this.
  4. phs

phs Well-Known Member

It was fairly chopped out late December early jan. This year

5. mjvg

mjvg New Member

Hi guys, just wondering how long should it take from Dargo to the top? obviously it would depend on track conditions and traffic.

6. Loz666

Loz666 New Member

Resurrecting this thread hoping for more up to date info in this area. I am heading up to Dargo, then to Conways, Billy Goat Bluff and some of the tracks to huts (Arbuckle) and into Licola there weekend. Any info appreciated on
    track
    condition & river crossings without snorkels. Also there is a bit of rain forecast. Should I cancel or is it ok? We are 3 vehicles with gear, 2 winches - not hugely experienced but not virgin either.
    Very much appreciate any current advice.

7. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Yes it has been recently graded... There's been recent fire activity in the area... Mt Valencia

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I was up that way last week; did the BGB Tk on Saturday. Yes, the steps have been flattened. There's still enough loose rock and a few strings of minor moguls to keep it interesting. The two LC200s in the group could pretty much walk up it. I prefer to jog so the momentum gets me over any larger loose patch.
    Loz666, river levels are low. Don't think we would've gone much over the axles. But if there's rain you might rethink Herne's Spur for example and take the Wombat Range Tk instead. Moroka, Tamboritha and Howitt roads are all in good shape. I haven't done Conways in a couple of years - it's steep in spots with rounded over steps that are even and offer good traction.
    Zeka Spur Tk has got a few humps and holes that required tip-toeing down in places. Anyone wanting to tow on it would need pretty good clearance.
    A bit further afield, the Bluff Tk has been worked on and it needed it. And Parks were going to continue down King Billy Tk to the river which last week was slow going. The side up to Howitt was fine.
    We all had 2" lifts and short overhangs. A couple of us came away with dinged side steps; par for the course. Two flats.

Gr3g, Mk05explorer and Spooner like this.
  9. Loz666

Loz666 New Member

Great info guys - thanks heaps. Parks Vic seem to think the area was in pretty good nick too and passable even with a bit of rain "if you know what you are doing". We shall see :)
    Appreciate your help.

Mk05explorer likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

We were punting around The Bluff after 30mm had fallen 3 weeks ago and it had drained away pretty fast - except for the water holes on the flat. They made for a bit of a wallow but the bottoms were all firm.

11. Toddyh

Toddyh Well-Known Member

I was that way over new years. We had a bucket load of rain the night before and then a sunny morning before I drove it. It was fine and all the steep sections were dry.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yeah it's mostly a mix of dirt and rocks.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Just an aside ....
    We were out in the high country for a week and covered c. 500kms. We encountered a number of other convoys and duos. Not once did we find any of them on Ch 10. That's just crazy. Try passing or backing up at many points on any of those epic spurs - it's impossible or very risky.

14. Loz666

Loz666 New Member

Good advice Ziggy. Will keep a spare radio or a scan on Ch10. At least then there's no excuses, at least on our side.

boobook, Gr3g and Ziggy like this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Could save you from disaster Loz.
    We had a radio scanning all channels and there was no traffic elsewhere to help avoid this problem either.

16. Loz666

Loz666 New Member

Quick update on this track - as of Saturday 24 Feb 2018, I reckon you could get a RAV 4 up Billy Goat Bluff. It's been graded very recently and while a bit steep, only the occasional lose rock to contend with.
    Dingo Hill, Caledonia River & Butcher County were another story altogether! All of it was rutted with steps and tons of loose rock. All very steep obviously. A lot of fun, but if I had my time again I'd probably not commit to having to do it all in one day while it's raining.
    Rivers were all passable without snorkels.

Gr3g, stuartiross, Pubski and 4 others like this.
  17. Sean Logue

Sean Logue Member

That's great to hear , I plain on doing Billy Goat Bluff next weekend for the first time.
    Long as the weather is on my side...
    Cheers :)

18. Loz666

Loz666 New Member

I think there have been fires around that area so please check all that stuff out before you set off. BGB might be closed or otherwise not possible. The other tracks around there were really hard so make sure you have options within your car and driver ability.

19. Sean Logue

Sean Logue Member

There has been fires up there now for about a month , 9 km SW of Snowy Range Airstrip. Has gone over Howitt Rd and that's the way I want to go from Billy Goat Bluff.
    Last weekend people were allowed to drive up Howitt road and down Zeka Spur past all the mayhem, Ill check it all out next week before we go.
    [​IMG]Capture by Sean Logue, on Flickr

20. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

Last week end was 100 yr anniversary of Wonnangatta murders , lots of people attended , hoping its all still opened but wouldn't be surprised if its closed again .
    Hope the high temps and wind this week end don't fire it up again .