• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

Bigger tyres for Prado 120

cloughcarib

I'm getting to the point of wanting(not needing;)) larger tyres on the Pwado.

I currently running 265/75 on the original 17" rim, but was wondering if I would be able to fit 33x11.5/12.5 on a 15" or 16" rim with increased backspace(negative offset) for a set of play
feet, not daily drivers.

I can easily extend my guards out if need be.

Any and all advice/criticism welcome.

Cheers. Clough.

ball12

fit 33x11.5/12.5 on a 15" or 16" rim with increased backspace(negative offset) for a set of

Cheers. Clough.
you wont be able to fit 15's on a prado, i bet my last dollar that the callipers are too big for it. might be able to squeeze 16's tho.

i'd say with a 2" lift you would be able to JUST squeeze them under, my dad is running 32's under his with a 2" lift and it is cutting it pretty close to the front of the wheel arch when turning

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hey Clough, are you sure your running a 75 series tyre now. They ammunition generally handle a 70 series standard. U.fortunately with the 120 series you are restricted somewhat. If you want to run 33's you need a 4" lift. This then poses a few other problems which are fixed by using a set of Superiour Engineering.g upper control arms. You qld be looking at around 3 grand for basic lift and 4500 for a proper set up. That's Install yourself of course.

cloughcarib

Hey Clough, are you sure your running a 75 series tyre now. They ammunition generally handle a 70 series standard. U.fortunately with the 120 series you are restricted somewhat. If you want to run 33's you need a 4" lift. This then poses a few other problems which are fixed by using a set of Superiour Engineering.g upper control arms. You qld be looking at around 3 grand for basic lift and 4500 for a proper set up. That's Install yourself of course.
Mark....Geez, you sure did burst my little bubble:). You are correct in the fact that they are 70's not 75's.

That's a bit over my budget for a set of play feet:D.

teza h

Yeh! I'v got 32's x 16 x 8's on mine and had to do a bit of mud flap removal n grinding of body work ,plus reset the caster on the front end to get em to clear and not scrape,with a 2" lift. As far as I'm concerned thats it,without going to great expence,that's on a 90,,,not to sure about a 120,but 15" rims are definitely out,they will not fit over the disc calipers
cheers teza.

cloughcarib

Yeh! I'v got 32's x 16 x 8's on mine and had to do a bit of mud flap removal n grinding of body work ,plus reset the caster on the front end to get em to clear and not scrape,with a 2" lift. As far as I'm concerned thats it,without going to great expence,that's on a 90,,,not to sure about a 120,but 15" rims are definitely out,they will not fit over the disc calipers
cheers teza.
Cheers teza.

Off subject, how're you and Mel? Long time no bent elbow.

cloughcarib

Yeh! we'l have to have a day out somewhere soon to catch up;):cool:.
All good here:):),,, howz the famely of five going??
Really good, although hectic:). We're heading up to Stockton next week for Nala's first camping trip next weekend. I know it'll be busy, but we'll make the most of it;).

Last edited:

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Stock Tire - 265/70R17 >Search Tires
Section Width: 10.43 in 265 mm
Rim Diameter: 17 in 431.8 mm
Rim Width Range: 7 - 9 in
Overall Diameter: 31.60 in 802.64 mm
Sidewall Height: 7.30 in 185.42 mm
Radius: 15.80 in 401.32 mm
Circumference: 99.27 in 2521.4 mm
Revs per Mile: 658.2

Stock Tire - 265/75R17 >Search Tires
Section Width: 10.43 in 265 mm
Rim Width Range: Unrecognized tire size.
Overall Diameter: 32.64 in 829.05 mm
Sidewall Height: 7.82 in 198.62 mm
Radius: 16.32 in 414.52 mm
Circumference: 102.5 in 2603.5 mm
Revs per Mile: 637.2

Stock Tire - 285/70R17 >Search Tires
Section Width: 11.22 in 285 mm
Rim Width Range: 7.5 - 9 in
Overall Diameter: 32.70 in 830.58 mm
Sidewall Height: 7.85 in 199.39 mm
Radius: 16.35 in 415.29 mm
Circumference: 102.7 in 2608.5 mm
Revs per Mile: 636.0

adam10_1990

Fittment of 16x8 Roh Trak II rims

We are regularly asked what size tyres and rims we are running on our KZJ120 (2003 Toyota Prado TD GX). The answer is 285/75/16 Tyres on 16x8 Roh Trak II rims.

Being released with 17” rims, the front brakes on a standard Prado will not fit a 16” Rim. This unfortunately leaves a selected range of aftermarket rims and tyre combinations. The also adds to the cost of the tyres, with the 17” variety being uncommon you tend to pay a premium.

We decided to investigate whether it was possible to fit a 16” rim, looking at where the Calliper hits the rim. It was soon discovered after trying to fit a Toyota Prado 16x7 GXL rim, Toyota 80 Series 16x8 and an ROH Trak II 16x8 that there were 2 lumps of casting on the callipers that slightly hit the rim.

Investigating these casting lumps we found they were just excess steel used in the casting process, not providing any structural or mechanical effect on the brake callipers function. We decided that these could be safely removed to allow the 16” rims to be fitted with no adverse effect on the vehicle. A short 5 minute session on the Angle grinder quickly removed 2-3 mm of the steel from both the top and bottom of the calliper. Fitting the 16x8 Roh Trak II, we found there was now 2-3 mm of clearance and the rim fit well. After some 10,000kms we have found no adverse effect from this modification. We have since been advised that Toyota Dealerships also conduct a similar modification to allow for aftermarket Alloy wheels to be fitted to New Vehicles.

Please Note: All tips, recommendations, and technical details are added as a guide only. Professional advice for your specific vehicle, accessories, and equipment should be sought to ensure compliance with any standard or body, which may have jurisdiction, and all relevant safety issues and common sense are applied.

cloughcarib

Fittment of 16x8 Roh Trak II rims

We are regularly asked what size tyres and rims we are running on our KZJ120 (2003 Toyota Prado TD GX). The answer is 285/75/16 Tyres on 16x8 Roh Trak II rims.

Being released with 17” rims, the front brakes on a standard Prado will not fit a 16” Rim. This unfortunately leaves a selected range of aftermarket rims and tyre combinations. The also adds to the cost of the tyres, with the 17” variety being uncommon you tend to pay a premium.

We decided to investigate whether it was possible to fit a 16” rim, looking at where the Calliper hits the rim. It was soon discovered after trying to fit a Toyota Prado 16x7 GXL rim, Toyota 80 Series 16x8 and an ROH Trak II 16x8 that there were 2 lumps of casting on the callipers that slightly hit the rim.

Investigating these casting lumps we found they were just excess steel used in the casting process, not providing any structural or mechanical effect on the brake callipers function. We decided that these could be safely removed to allow the 16” rims to be fitted with no adverse effect on the vehicle. A short 5 minute session on the Angle grinder quickly removed 2-3 mm of the steel from both the top and bottom of the calliper. Fitting the 16x8 Roh Trak II, we found there was now 2-3 mm of clearance and the rim fit well. After some 10,000kms we have found no adverse effect from this modification. We have since been advised that Toyota Dealerships also conduct a similar modification to allow for aftermarket Alloy wheels to be fitted to New Vehicles.

Please Note: All tips, recommendations, and technical details are added as a guide only. Professional advice for your specific vehicle, accessories, and equipment should be sought to ensure compliance with any standard or body, which may have jurisdiction, and all relevant safety issues and common sense are applied.
Cheers for your response. do ya have any pics

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
of the callipers
Am I right in understanding Adam that you put 33's on a 120 Prado with no lift? I want to see pics of that entire package.

I spent time with a well known Brisbane off road engineer who went through a lot to be able to get 33's under a 120 Prado. There was a lot of lift and mods to control arms to get it to actually drive properly.

adam10_1990

Am I right in understanding Adam that you put 33's on a 120 Prado with no lift? I want to see pics of that entire package.

I spent time with a well known Brisbane off road engineer who went through a lot to be able to get 33's under a 120 Prado. There was a lot of lift and mods to control arms to get it to actually drive properly.
no f no i didnt do it :p i found that on a post when i was looking for tyre size suggestions for mine, i even linked the website

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
i meant more the prado mod game, but 4x4 earth counts too :)
Not much you need to do to a Prado to make it stand out from the crowd. Mine was a VX and had all the traction control gear. It was always surprising people ..... I had a 2" lift, winch, bars 32" mud tyres and it towed a Kimberly Kamper up the tele track across the Old Coach Road, through the High Country and across the French Line and up the Hay River track with not more than a couple of loose bolts in the front bash plate.