Big Rocks

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
The Tarragal Caves large caves which overlook the Bridgewater Lakes near the towns of Tarragal and Cape Bridgewater Victoria. The caves were identified as important Aboriginal camping places early in the historic period, and were excavated in the late 1970s revealing stratified deposits in the floor of 11,300 years old, along with shell midden deposits and earth ovens over 11,000 years old.
a(37).jpg

a(41).jpg

mauriceb

Rocks on the Sandy Blight Junction Track . Info..This track runs from the Gary Junction Highway near Kintore southward towards the Great Central Road near Docker River .Two permits a required.
15312163532349.jpeg

mauriceb

Sawn Rocks in Mt Kaputar National Park, NSW. Formed as lava from the Nandewar Volcano cooled around 20 million years ago. Lot of this type of rock in my area but this is the best example. Some of the larger coulombs laying at the bottom are around 2 meters across.
Great photo @Ditch was there a few weeks ago

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Getting carried away here now. This is not a rock but a very big stone. Very big in the sense of importance, especially for my missus whose family heritage is from there. Boy that was not easy to do :eek:.
Have a guess what this stone is and where is it?
DSCF6350.JPG

DSCF6351.JPG

jacnden

Getting carried away here now. This is not a rock but a very big stone. Very big in the sense of importance, especially for my missus whose family heritage is from there. Boy that was not easy to do :eek:.
View attachment 62184

View attachment 62185
View attachment 62184

View attachment 62185

Golly girl

I was listening to Dr Karl on the radio a few months back and he was saying Uluru isn't a rock at all but the tip of a subterranean mountain range. Anyone else heard of this? Apparantly the Olgas are part of the same range?
Not correct. Lol. Ayers Rock, arkose sandstone, is 348 meters above ground. It goes 6 kms under ground. Kata-Tjuta is a conglomerate rock which is 546 meters above ground and also goes 6 kms under ground. They came from the Petermann Rangers our West when the Alice Springs Orogeny happened 350 million years ago. It was a Tuesday. If you look at Kata-Tjuta, Ayers Rock and Mt Conner from above, they are in a dead straight line. Well 1 degree out. But they are not part of a mountain range

Golly girl

Not correct. Lol. Ayers Rock, arkose sandstone, is 348 meters above ground. It goes 6 kms under ground. Kata-Tjuta is a conglomerate rock which is 546 meters above ground and also goes 6 kms under ground. They came from the Petermann Rangers our West when the Alice Springs Orogeny happened 350 million years ago. It was a Tuesday. If you look at Kata-Tjuta, Ayers Rock and Mt Conner from above, they are in a dead straight line. Well 1 degree out. But they are not part of a mountain range
They were both formed quiet opposite of a mountain range, they were caused by alluvial fans.