Big Mistake

Grumpy

Hi all just thought I would tell u about an experience we had, Decided to do a day trip to back of Walhalla, couldn't have picked a worse day but went anyway, As I organised this trip I had a few conditions before we left, 1. If we come across somewhere we couldn't get through we would go and find somewhere else to play, 2. If we came to a river crossing that looked sus we would all wait and assess it first.
number 2 became the problem, headed towards Walhalla from Morwell, drizzling rain the whole way through Walhalla to Fultons track remebering this was the week after the floods up that area, anyway headed down Fultons creek track, had to pick our way around fallen trees from the recent fires in that area, moved some chainsawed others to get through.
Finally reached Fultons creek and The bloke leading came across a large tree blocking the track but recconed he could get around it down a steep two step embankment which he negotiated followed by the second bloke, as this was happening I was still a couple of hundred metres behind so used the cb to talk with them telling them both to wait as from where I was I could see green shadows in the water which generally means deep water,
The track the other side of the river was washed away and I could also see debree had blocked the entry to it.
Well driver no 1 next comments were I'm going for it I can see another exit point further upstream, I said don't go its deep water, the next comment was from Driver no 2 stating we had us a floater and then that he was sinking, well a 3 year old prado was half submerged in the fast flowing river with a dead motor, it was that bad the am radio on the dash was under water, all electrics ware dead too,by this time I was half way down the steep bank so grabbed the other bloke ,hooked up snatchem stap to front of my 4by with mate sitting on the bonnet of mine headed in to do recovery, when my headlights went under I figured I was getting in too deep as well so backed up three feet onto a ledge, got hooked up, to give u an idea when the first bloke got out of his car he was nearly up to his tits in water. I had water coming in my car through the drivers door, anyway got him and the car out on to dry ground, it took us a further 6 hours to get to civilization with one stuffed prado in tow. The last hour was heavy rain sleet and even flakes of snow.
Outcome: 1 prado written off, 1 near case of hyperthermia, 3 very late arrivals home, an experience we really didn't need simply because 1 person didn't listen too instructions and 1 very angry wife of the prado driver.

Hints: 1.Check river depths before crossing
2.Have spare clothing in case
3.Listen to instuctions
4.don't think your 4by can go anywhere

Hope you enjoy the story it's real
Grumpy

4X4

Not good! :(

Tracks, Offrdn60, myself and a few others went to Coopers Creek after those floods, we had to move debris from the entry to the Thomson River. Although the river was still flowing faster than normal, it has a good solid base at this crossing. Getting out the other side was a drama, pure river silt. Once I broke the crust, I sunk to the axles. Digging & whinching for the next hour.:rolleyes:

I was the only one to exit the other side, the others turned around on the island half way across the Thomson River. Needless to say, once I got out and turned the first corner on Coopers Creek Trk, I was confronted with a fallen tree. More winching!:cool:

Last edited:

gdog

If it wasn't for boneheads (and I'm not counting myself out on occasions) we'd have no great stories to tell. Like this one.

Nice work Grumpy

stets

4wds are like shoes

an old patrol, cruiser, f truck etc are like a good old pair of boots, built tough, last 20 + yrs and never wear out

hiluxs, navaras, rodeos etc are like a hiking boots, fairly tough, pretty universal, but they arent as tough as the heavier duty boots

then there are prados, hyundais, kias, x trails etc. these are like house slippers. comfy and warm with all the frills.................. and they should never leave the house

knot_gillty

4wds are like shoes

an old patrol, cruiser, f truck etc are like a good old pair of boots, built tough, last 20 + yrs and never wear out

hiluxs, navaras, rodeos etc are like a hiking boots, fairly tough, pretty universal, but they arent as tough as the heavier duty boots

then there are prados, hyundais, kias, x trails etc. these are like house slippers. comfy and warm with all the frills.................. and they should never leave the house

By the sounds of it, it wasn't the car that let him down it was the lack of hearing and brains. I'm sure any of the "good old pair of boots" vehicles would have come undone also if they went into 5' deep water.

A Prado, done up the right way will get a competent driver just about anywhere he/she can point the nose at.

Moral of the story was: check water depth, listen to advice and don't go if you're unsure.

gdog

4wds are like shoes

Slippers..... LOL :D:D:D:D ... I so have to use that!