BFG All Terrain Tyres

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Excellent info billolga, thanks
From research of the areas mentioned, figured we'd upgrade the suspension for just this reason. We won't be towing so the ol' girl will have to carry the lot and between weight and corrigations would be pushing the standard suspension even for a Mitsu.
Might start a new thread for suggestions on tracks to take throught these areas as I have planned the trip as far as Darwin and WA will be my next port of call and would love your imput.
Kaz

DSLnDST

I have had Cooper ST for 3 years thought they were the best survived many a trip off road, then needed a new set quick
went shopping for the new BFG mudders/ them available till August
so i looked at the old style in stock much cheaper and bought a set of mudders for $900 for 4 to put on second set of rims for serious off road. While i was there i aske about the Coopers ST or STT- cost more and companies have trouble with the suppliers
SO i looked at the BFG AT pattern - looked the same and 3 ply wall same as Coopers
WOW how good are the BFG!!
the AT fantastic for fire trails
and the Mudders got me out of some mess i would not have managed before
SO go BFG

billolga

4x4 Earth Contributer
Might start a new thread for suggestions on tracks to take throught these areas as I have planned the trip as far as Darwin and WA will be my next port of call and would love your imput.
Kaz

(PM me & I will give you my E-Mail address)

BACK ON TYRES - AT's chip far more than Muddies but are much better on roads & have less noise - Muddies are much better in M.. :D - YOU CAN'T WIN! - You have to compromise & pick the ones that are best overall for you.

It's like a 2" or 4" lift - When your in deep twoddle you wish you had MORE!

I use an AT (Whatever) for most of the year & change to BFG Muddies for our annual trip of a Month or two. Using Muddies in the desert doesn't worry me in the slightest as it's tyre pressure & technique that counts.

Yota

BFG's

My Terrano had Japanese made A/T B F Goodrich's on it when I got it. While driving into work one morning I noticed a slight kick in the steering wheel with every wheel revolution thinking a balance weight might have come off I arranged to have wheel balance done but two days after that it started again. About a week later while driving I suddenly noticed it felt very soft and spongy on the front so pulled over, the tyre wasn't flat but it had definitely lost some air so made it into work ok. About two hours later things were quiet so went out to check the tyre, it was flat but it was also out of shape, one of my workmates come over and said another Japanese Goodrich come apart. He had been through the same thing with his Patrol. Sure enough there was a blister in the tyre about eight inches long and about 4 inches wide. At first I was sure it was a retread that had come apart but the guy at the tyre place confirmed that it was not a retread and also confirmed what my mate told me about Japanese B F Goodrich's. About three weeks later the one on the other side started doing the same thing so I decided to replace the other four tyres.
Seems like Japanese Goodrich's are built to lower spec's than other countries.

Last edited:

billolga

4x4 Earth Contributer
My Terrano had Japanese made A/T B F Goodrich's ..................

Seems like Japanese Goodrich's are built to lower spec's than other countries.

Yes there was an issue with Japanese BFG's a few years ago, but I haven't heard of any problems with the American "tires" ;)

I have had three sets on two different vehicles & they have been great.

Triplayhard

I have the american BFG A/Ts and i think they are great, awesome grip in everything but really wet sticky clay mud- they are a/ts after all. Had goodyears on before and although they wore well, they offered much less grip off road. I did puncture a sidewall not long after getting them on, but it was my fault for not airing down properly. I will be sticking with them after i get my 80 - 90,000 kms out of em. I did find however there was a large difference in price when getting quotes $105 a corner from highest to lowest, so do your homework... Jax quickfit were the cheapest in Melb for 31x10.5 R15.

jackaroo31td

Hi, Happy new year to all. I am currently running a set of BFG All terrain KO, and am coming up to 100000 k with moderate 4wd use. Done flinders several times. lots of sand driving and mud. As stated before tyre pressure is the key. For me they have been a fantastic tyre. Hope the next set are just as reliable.

buzzdog

Hi Guys,
I have a question in regards to Tyres for the N.T. members, but more specifically the Katherine and or Darwin regions.
What tyres do you run and how long have they lasted?
I was considering Coopers S/T's but have spoken with 2 mates who both had S/T's and both had them blow on them...not real cool as blown tyres rip up guards. Not too sure if it was the heal or what was the cause?? Based on this information I am now thinking along the lines of BFG A/T's...

What do you think?

Cheers

Buzz

buzzdog

Buzz,

Heat, or should I say, a build up of heat, will destroy any tyre. Running the correct tyre pressures is critical in managing the build up of heat in tyres . Check this thread for an in depth solution. http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/wheels-tyres/731-tyres.html

Cheers

Hi 4X4,
Cheers for the response, tyre pressure could have very well been a contributor in my mates blown tyres. Although, to have 2 tyres of the same make and model blow in the same manner on 2 different vehicles, kinda seems coincidental, but that could just be a freak once off or twice off in this case? I have owned coopers in the past and have enjoyed their performance and mileage. That said I owned the coopers in Newcastle where the heat is not as excessive as what it is here in Katherine. However, as you say, if the tyres are looked after and tyre pressure is monitored and maintained I might not have an issue?
Of the 2 makes:
Coopers S/T and BFG A/T,
which one would you choose if you were situated in the N.T. and embarked on 4X4 drives 20 - 40% of the time?

Cheers

Buzz

BUSHNUT

G'Day Buzzdog,

On our last trip away , a mate of mine blew 2 coopers in fairly mild travelling conditions one on the Oodnadatta track between Marree and William creek and one between William creek and Coober Pedy , we went to buy 2 new BFG's as Cooper had lost its appeal - the only tyres available were " We only sell the mighty Hercules up here " it was the only place open and we we didn't have any choice, some bloody thing out of China, I never saw so much lead go into the balancing of one tyre - sure enough looking around the town every b@stard was driving on the mighty Hercules $220 fitted per tyre .

Presently looking to keep my present coopers as a town tyre and getting a set of BFG muds or Procomp for the outback and highlland stuff .

Last edited:

buzzdog

G'Day Buzzdog,

On our last trip away , a mate of mine blew 2 coopers in fairly mild travelling conditions one on the Oodnadatta track between Marree and William creek and one between William creek and Coober Pedy , we went to buy 2 new BFG's as Cooper had lost its appeal - the only tyres available were " We only sell the mighty Hercules up here " it was the only place open and we we didn't have any choice, some bloody thing out of China, I never saw so much lead go into the balancing of one tyre - sure enough looking around the town every b@stard was driving on the mighty Hercules $220 fitted per tyre .

Presently looking to keep my present coopers as a town tyre and getting a set of BFG muds or Procomp for the outback and highlland stuff .

Hahahaha

"We only sell the mighty Hercules up here"

I personally have never had an issue with coopers, that said I was wasn't driving in the NT's hostile climate, there seems to be equal numbers of coopers, BFG's as well as a few other brands which I've never heard of rolling around up here. By the sounds of it, Coopers S/T and BFG A/T appear similarly rated, so it may come down to price and availability. But be rest assured which ever tyre I decide to get it'll be LT construction.

Cheers

Buzz

croozza

Hahahaha

"We only sell the mighty Hercules up here"

I personally have never had an issue with coopers, that said I was wasn't driving in the NT's hostile climate, there seems to be equal numbers of coopers, BFG's as well as a few other brands which I've never heard of rolling around up here. By the sounds of it, Coopers S/T and BFG A/T appear similarly rated, so it may come down to price and availability. But be rest assured which ever tyre I decide to get it'll be LT construction.

Cheers

Buzz

I heard that when you cross over the NT boarder from another state you need to set your watch back 20 yrs.

buzzdog

I heard that when you cross over the NT boarder from another state you need to set your watch back 20 yrs.

That's true, but you also have extra $$$ in your pocket. NSW insurance for 2008 prado under lease $1,350. N.T. insurance for 2008 prado under lease with a free windscreen each year $680....I would gladly go back 20 years for that....