Between the rainstorms

Joe Fury

G'day Adventurers

I am not trying to re-invent anything to do with big rainfall totals or floods that only happen or haven't happened in 50 years, I live in a part of Western Australia that has extremes in almost everything imaginable, the region has had a few millimetres of rain, 46 in some parts up to 145 in others, separated only by distance.

I've stayed in town as such so far this wet season only because solo vehicle ~ off road travel can simply be courting more dramas than one might need in a whole life time, but there is nothing more leveling for my likes, than to watch a massive thunderstorm build up then unleash its energy on this ancient landscape.

Weather wise it's far too tropical for my liking, humidity at times is in the mid sixty percent range and (officially) recorded temperatures hover around the 42 ~ 46 degree C mark through the day and then plummeting to 26 ~ 30 degrees C overnight.

The wife and I spent the best part of today (Friday 3rd ~ February) wandering around and into a couple of waterholes/gorges/ watercourses not too far from town, sat back with a brew after boiling the Billy and simple enjoyed where we were, just watching the rain front sweep across the countryside, not a big trip by any standard but I do know we were out of Mobile phone range.

All up the Cruiser logged 210.7Km's with 87 of these on sealed surfaces, the bulk of the journey was on reasonably firm in places dirt roads and tracks, slippery sections were challenging only because the Cruiser is now shod with Mickey T's ~ ATZ-P3's ~ not a bad dry road or All terrain type tyre, but not a real winner off road in the mud.

Safe travels : Joe Fury
IMGP4862.JPG

IMGP4867.JPG

IMGP4872.JPG

IMGP4752.JPG

IMGP4520.JPG

Aaron Schubert

Awesome mate. I bet things have changed a bit since all the rain! 2018 is the year we plan on doing lots of the Pilbara - I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you.

Aaron

greysrigging

Sigh.......I miss the Pilbara. The storms out around Yandi were as good if not better than any in the Top End.
Joe, do you remember that massive hailstorm 2 years ago out along the highway north of Newman ? Drifts 2' deep, looked like an episode of 'Ice Road Truckers' my video clip !

Joe Fury

Awesome mate. I bet things have changed a bit since all the rain! 2018 is the year we plan on doing lots of the Pilbara - I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you.

Aaron
G'day Aaron
Yes mate, much has changed since the initial rains of early December 2016, the Buffle Grass and Spinifex have already started to seed, prematurely but from this point on it will definitely require using the grass seed screen across the Cruisers bull bar.

My guess is the wild flower sprout will be magnificent later on in the year.

Should you feel like asking questions regarding 'whatever' about the region ~ feel free to ask and I will respond in a no bullshit way, or if time is not your enemy track me down ~ I'll be somewhere in the Pilbara.

Joe Fury

Sigh.......I miss the Pilbara. The storms out around Yandi were as good if not better than any in the Top End.
Joe, do you remember that massive hailstorm 2 years ago out along the highway north of Newman ? Drifts 2' deep, looked like an episode of 'Ice Road Truckers' my video clip !

G'day Doug

Most certainly do remember that episode quite clearly, it's difficult to comprehend as to how rapidly things can and do change weather wise in the wet season or in fact any time in the Pilbara, I've seen things happen that defy logic and most people just would not believe that it is/was possible, might even call a man a bull artist. That particular 'icy blast' caught a good mate out who's vehicle copped a lightening strike, he was camped up in Glenn Herring Gorge off the Marble Bar/Woodstock Station road, the zap destroyed most of the wiring harness in the vehicle ~ but that's another story.

Not too long ago the wife and I were travelling through the Ophthalmia Range, north of town, in a late afternoon thunder storm, lots of thunder lightening and then a massive lightening strike not more than 50 metres of into the scrub, a Snappy Gum tree was obliterated and the scrub caught fire around the tree, it all took a split second actually ~ then the rain came thumping down and it was all over almost as quickly.

Headed home fairly smartly, had to change the undies.

Last months of 2015 410.JPG

greysrigging

G'day Aaron
Yes mate, much has changed since the initial rains of early December 2016, the Buffle Grass and Spinifex have already started to seed, prematurely but from this point on it will definitely require using the grass seed screen across the Cruisers bull bar.

My guess is the wild flower sprout will be magnificent later on in the year.

I remember the Mulla Mulla in flower for 10 months of the 12 I spent at Yandi. April had a cold wet spell, as did May and June of 2015. One day the top temp struggled to 12c, which for a Darwin bloke was gruesome.... haha