Betsy The LN106 Hilux

Mitchmate

Back in about May I did a quick night run up to Blacksmiths with some fellas from work who were keen to see if the Navaras could handle the sand.
20180421_170219.jpg

20180421_191547.jpg

Despite being Datsuns i suppose they did ok! Those with a keen eye may have spotted old mate Neil's 106 in the background too @boris mikilchuck. We went to school together and im pretty sure Betsy is the reason the poor sod bought one too! Sorry mate :p
Screenshot_20180805-213554.png

boris mikilchuck

Back in about May I did a quick night run up to Blacksmiths with some fellas from work who were keen to see if the Navaras could handle the sand. View attachment 55577
View attachment 55578
Despite being Datsuns i suppose they did ok! Those with a keen eye may have spotted old mate Neil's 106 in the background too @boris mikilchuck. We went to school together and im pretty sure Betsy is the reason the poor sod bought one too! Sorry mate :p
View attachment 55579
double trouble :)

Mitchmate

Small update on the hilux over the last couple of weeks i pulled the back apart largely to better setup my very bodgey 12v setup. The battery had more or less broken its mounts in the tub and the wiring was a mess.
20180824_183253.jpg
It was functional however Mr OCD here was over it. The drawers came out and while they were out i repaired the last bit of rust in the tub and sprayed the tub and tailgate in the same Raptor coat spray paint that i did my sliders in.
received_1240120936128497.jpeg received_293417604599398.jpeg received_2659333527624236.jpeg
That was relatively easy hopefully its far more chip resistant! Time will tell on that one.
received_168310097384965.jpeg With the raptor coat hardened up nicely i set about reinstalling the drawer unit and started setting out new brackets to hold everything better, i re ran the power cables coming into the tub and made up new wings for the sides to make better use of that hidden space. received_2250241111683920.jpeg received_1855812817807596.jpeg
I had to make up a small hutch to sit over the second battery which i had moved again... it was too tall for the level of the wings so i made a raised section for it. Deffinitly no carpenter but im quite happy with the results.
received_595227284213658.jpeg

Next up is power! I have a new RedArc BcDc1225D DC-DC battery charger and will be installing that in the following couple of weeks.

4x4addict

Lux is looking great, love your attention to detail. I've been running the redarc bcdc1225 for about 6 years can't fault it.
You wouldn't have a picture of how your sliders mount to the chassis? Trying to figure out some for my single cab
Cheers

Mitchmate

Lux is looking great, love your attention to detail. I've been running the redarc bcdc1225 for about 6 years can't fault it.
You wouldn't have a picture of how your sliders mount to the chassis? Trying to figure out some for my single cab
Cheers
Thanks mate, yea I’m certain there’s a bit of OCD in the mix there everything has to be ‘just so’!
That’s good to hear I’ve honestly been so flat out I still haven’t fitted it! Coming back from QLD my deep cycle lead acid failed and I’ve since installed an AGM yet to re-wire it with the RedArc charger inline, do you have solar run into yours as well? I don’t have a permenant solar setup but I have a solar blanket (similar to the Kings one) that I would like to run when I’m setup for a few days.
The sliders are deffinitly overkill! There is 3 plates with threads cut into them that are welded to the chassis and the sliders bolt to these plates. There is 3 down each side I’m not going to break them in a hurry! ;)
88A9DAF9-911E-4DC0-B8E4-15EDA53B279E.jpeg

Mitchmate

Thought it’s about time I throw some pictures up from my Moreton island trip earlier in the year. I came home Inland and did a few stop overs down the New England highway. Namely the condomine river run and the Old Grafton Rd from Glen Innes-Grafton deffinitly worth the detour if you find yourself in that neck of the woods.
F149BE52-4B98-4537-BBD8-E2F96264D81E.jpeg
Not quite the mirror finish :D close enough! 19CC5C83-43D7-4417-8F65-43898519C22C.jpeg
The view from the top of Mt Tempest is well worth the trek!
38B4923E-2300-4537-879C-976DEB224CCB.jpeg
Heading up the flats on our way back from The Gutter Bar at Kooringal DF357388-81E5-4236-A675-CD9F292CBD65.jpeg
Was an epic sunset to round out one of the days I spent touring up around Mt Mee in QLD
D858CD90-CEC0-4AE4-B772-308C0289B9B0.jpeg
DA397F94-135D-4B93-8033-F4CF34D1184C.jpeg
Tommys Rock trig point on the Old Grafton Rd, steep climb up the range but not difficult
5CEDEE0A-0EAC-4F66-9559-D4DA8C839F9F.jpeg
Lastly the hand dug convict built tunnel that remains towards the Grafton end of the road.
Was another faultless performance out of Betsy almost 3 weeks on the road and about 7000k not a single drama! Where too next I wonder!

Last edited:

Mitchmate

Given the polar-low the East-coast got over the weekend I was lucky enough to make the drive up the Blue mountains to have a play in the snow! It’s been a while since I’ve taken the 106 out for a play!
DE9BF9EB-8AB3-4B29-B86B-9B9DBFFD46D6.jpeg

It was only about 2-3 inches of snow but it was plenty fun anyhow
75CD4BDC-2957-41D4-B387-091B5A893B9C.jpeg

Mitchmate

Ehhh it’s been almost 12 months time for a build update. Well to those in the know I bought 60 series cruiser around January 2019 and the hilux has taken a bit of a back seat while I’ve been rebuilding that and getting it up to scratch. But recently I’ve found a hoist and some time to pull my finger out and get a few things done!
102A1760-2C4D-4F4C-A8D3-9B7FCB529386.jpeg

Firstly I was to strip back and delete as much of the defunct wiring under the bonnet and redo the charge system with the RedArc BCDC1225D unit.
7579C45B-72F6-4812-979E-3F354136868D.jpeg

Removed the old dual battery isolator, reran the loom, new grounds and terminals on the battery and installed an 80amp circuit breaker on the line running to the back. Much cleaner and easier to find faults if they arise.
In the back whilst not super elegant I have run 60amp fuse blocks either side of the Redarc unit BFD88CFC-552C-4A95-80B7-CF9F1CE97ECA.jpeg
And mounted the unit ontop of the wings with an easy Anderson plug for the solar panel input lead 96C1E538-4FE0-49FD-9C12-8D2AE14A6A7B.jpeg
Setup for charge profile B to suit the higher charge rate for the AGM battery that lives in the back! Worked mint and kept up with the Waeco for 4 days over the long weekend!

Mitchmate

Second up was a new one for me an Auto Lokka. I had been on the fence with these units for a long time it wasn’t until seeing a friends hilux fitted with one that I took the plunge, that and they had a 30% off sale at Christmas time... 95715098-5ADC-4DA6-8FE5-C421C2675A90.jpeg
Atleast the swivel hubs were all still nice and clean from the last time... anyway diff centre out, on the bench lets go!
F96B9FA5-779B-4B6C-87DB-BBF1FCD59F8B.jpeg
The unit itself was fairly easy to install mark everything and pull it all down and reassemble with the Lokka internals. There’s a few tolerances to be checked along the way mine was spot on between the counter shaft and spacers.
23A437A6-86F9-4A1B-9532-797EB5034A0D.jpeg
Hectic brakes yo, will see how these go. Annoyingly I had a completely seized brake calliper explains why it was pulling to the left when pulling up, ah well threw a kit through it and honed the cylinders out.
EFADC483-FD6A-434D-A378-7B91AC64087F.jpeg
Once all back together an unlock test is performed where the locker will click and ratchet as instructed by Lokka, all in the green there as it should be.

Mitchmate

With the birthday complete on Betsy just the weekend before the June long weekend a few of us headed out to TJ’s 4wd Park with fellow members Luthy, MRDPG and ole mate Boris.
D8456267-8B8B-4CA3-8CB9-A81DD588E243.jpeg
B3A795B5-862C-4320-867E-C2D9A3DAE912.jpeg
Was great to put the Lokka to work on some of the steep shale hills and rock climbs the property has to offer.
8DD28A5F-85E4-41BF-8636-C34AE00E5918.jpeg
I have to say it’s the best $320 mod I’ve done on the car to date! It makes it a bit of a pig cruising around in 4High has a tendency to grab the steering wheel when your on the loud pedal but makes the car a lot more predictable in the technical stuff!
I have also fitted a boost regulator and am now running 15psi through the ole 2.8 runs far cooler on the exhaust temps and has a lot more go!
Next project on the go for the old girl is an R151F gearbox conversion out of a Bundera so it will have a bit more legs on the highway.

typhoeus

Thanks mate, yea I’m certain there’s a bit of OCD in the mix there everything has to be ‘just so’!
That’s good to hear I’ve honestly been so flat out I still haven’t fitted it! Coming back from QLD my deep cycle lead acid failed and I’ve since installed an AGM yet to re-wire it with the RedArc charger inline, do you have solar run into yours as well? I don’t have a permenant solar setup but I have a solar blanket (similar to the Kings one) that I would like to run when I’m setup for a few days.
The sliders are deffinitly overkill! There is 3 plates with threads cut into them that are welded to the chassis and the sliders bolt to these plates. There is 3 down each side I’m not going to break them in a hurry! ;)
View attachment 61429
How did you get around the engineering paperwork? My understanding is if you weld a chassis for any reason other than a repair, you need an engineering certificate?

Mitchmate

How did you get around the engineering paperwork? My understanding is if you weld a chassis for any reason other than a repair, you need an engineering certificate?
I’m open to correction but the information I was given was that it is not a join in the chassis rail but an attachment to it and it’s only been part welded on east/west of the plate to still allow normal movement in the chassis. So I haven’t bothered getting it engineered. But I mean the turbo setup is supposed to be engineered as well technically.

RDRKT

Gday Mitchmate, I've been enjoying reading about all the wrench time you've put into your Hilux. I also have a Hilux, a 1993 ln106 to which I have fitted the venerable CT20 turbo. I'm really enjoying the extra wellie!! The EGT's are higher than i would like however and after some research (a lot of it on Betsy's page:)) i am planning to install a boost controller and a water to air intercooler, and so I'm hoping you are willing to give me some advice on which brand/model to go for, when you have a spare moment. Thanks again for taking the time to document your mechanical and off road adventures with Betsy!!Best Regards, RDRKT.

Mitchmate

Gday Mitchmate, I've been enjoying reading about all the wrench time you've put into your Hilux. I also have a Hilux, a 1993 ln106 to which I have fitted the venerable CT20 turbo. I'm really enjoying the extra wellie!! The EGT's are higher than i would like however and after some research (a lot of it on Betsy's page:)) i am planning to install a boost controller and a water to air intercooler, and so I'm hoping you are willing to give me some advice on which brand/model to go for, when you have a spare moment. Thanks again for taking the time to document your mechanical and off road adventures with Betsy!!Best Regards, RDRKT.
Hey there RDRKT, thanks for that it’s been a bit of fun over the years I still look back occasionally at where it’s come from! The CT20 is a good turbo they go for ages if they aren’t pushed to hard. When you say High EGTS what are you seeing? My pyro is post turbo in the dump and on a good long hill I will see 480-500 degrees which is starting to get up there, around town in traffic it rarely gets above 300. The extra air from additional boost may help you on that one! Or turn the fuel screw down a bit, remember it’s a diesel you can’t hurt them by running lean like a petrol the fuel adjustment on mine has changed a few times by little adjustments. Originally I played with boost settings with a simple boost tee by Turbosmart, it’s a simple inline reducer that will bleed off boost going to the wastegate actuator. After finding 12psi to be the happy median I sourced a slightly larger spring for the wastegate actuator and took the boost tee off. The water to air intercooler was all pieced together from a website called FrozenBoost I’m sure I still have the invoice somewhere if you would like part numbers! I’m very happy with the intercooler, a large front mount air-air would be more efficient on the highway but for what I use my luxy for its perfect as I don’t do a lot of highway mileage! All the best with it :)

RDRKT

Hi again Mitchmate, thanks for your reply. Since my last post I have installed the inline Turbosmart boost controller which did make a big difference to my EGT's. I now only see over 500 towards the top of a long climb. I have my gauge set to alarm at 600 degrees and I don't think it has hit this since the boost controller went in, so I'm pretty happy with that. My next project is to work on lowering the coolant temps which are higher than I would like, past 115 degrees towards the end of a reasonable hill on the highway, more noticeable after an hour plus of driving (like you I do more bush time than highway but you've still got to get to the start of the track:)). So my next question for you is, have you had any trouble with your engine temperature, and if so what did you do about it? Best regards, RDRKT.

typhoeus

Hi again Mitchmate, thanks for your reply. Since my last post I have installed the inline Turbosmart boost controller which did make a big difference to my EGT's. I now only see over 500 towards the top of a long climb. I have my gauge set to alarm at 600 degrees and I don't think it has hit this since the boost controller went in, so I'm pretty happy with that. My next project is to work on lowering the coolant temps which are higher than I would like, past 115 degrees towards the end of a reasonable hill on the highway, more noticeable after an hour plus of driving (like you I do more bush time than highway but you've still got to get to the start of the track:)). So my next question for you is, have you had any trouble with your engine temperature, and if so what did you do about it? Best regards, RDRKT.
hi, mate, i have a petrol hilux which used to to get warm. After a cylinder head reco, i fitted an aluminium radiator with 2 x 12 inch electric fans. i removed the engine fan.the electric fans are controlled by a Davies Craig thermo controller. you can set it to cut in and out when you want. they only come on at crawl speeds for me and only stay on for a few minutes. I also have an8 inch fan in front of the condenser, which comes on when the a/c compressor starts. the guauge never goes higher than half no matter what

Mitchmate

I need to check this page more often than every 6 months I swear... sorry for the delay!
What boost pressure did you end up setting to with the boost controller? Mine has crept up to 16psi these days definitely alot more stable and predictable with the EGTs.
Yea I have to say those coolant temperatures would worry me! I think the highest I have seen mine ever get was 105 and that was on the Toowoomba range on a 38 degree day loaded up heading home after my Moreton trip! I've gone about it a few ways as follows!
I have an 82 degree 2LTE Surf thermostat fitted instead of the 87 degree 3l hilux one, large alloy radiator fitted not a 3 row just a 52mm high flow core!
But mainly i have fitted a 10 blade fan blade off a 5le (2002-2005 only the later ones for some reason) Hilux which will bolt up to the viscosity hub on the 2.8, along with that I have split the viscosity hub apart and added extra silicone oil so the fan cuts in earlier and you need the extra resistance to drive the bigger fan. It also makes a big difference to have the lower portion of the radiator shroud fitted which is often overlooked!
In truth engine coolant temp has never been much of an issue the only reason I did the fan upgrade was to drive more air through the radiator for the intercooler set-up as there is no room for a thermo fan in behind the grille its pretty tight now!

Mitchmate

Well in the months past a few developments have happened. In truth work and other developments had taken place and the old 106 did a huge total of 37km between Christmas and the end of April... But in usual Toyota dependability it was dusted off, packed and proceeded to do a 2 week 3000km round trip to the Victorian high country without a hitch!
20210425_175421.jpg Glad the glow plugs were up to scratch.... my buddies Colorado was reading -5 degrees overnight at Mt Murray. As usual first hit of the key and I was in business... unlike the Patrol that was with us... 20210426_121811.jpg
Blue Rag Range track
org_cc45d88abed2cb76_1619759220000.jpg
Just a few pictures to show the little hilux that could! Was very glad to have the front lokka going up Billygoats bluff! Very rocky and dug out track in hind site probably should have planned to drive down it but where's the fun in that!

There has been some work progressing slowly in the form of an R151F gearbox build as time permits so once that gets shoehorned into the car I will do a bit of a write up! Until then keep on keeping on