Change background image

Betsy The LN106 Hilux

Discussion in 'My 4WD' started by Mitchmate, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Mitchmate

Mitchmate Well-Known Member

Good Points
    Last of the solid axle fronts
    2.8 diesel
    Fuel economy

Bad Points
    Nothing so far...

What mods have you done?
    32" BFG KM2's
    ARB Winch bar
    Rampt Engineering rock sliders
    ARB Rear bar
    Airtech snorkel
    Dual battery setup
    2" lift full Tough dog setup
    Z bar Draglink
    Adjustable pitch mount
    Rancho RS9000 shocks
    UHF
    Spotties
    Extended breathers
    DTS TD04 Turbo setup
    Water-Air intercooler
    Rear Drawers
    Roof cage with awning
    What mods are on the list to do?
    Winch
    Locker(s?)
    Water Tank
    There will be more no doubt....
    Why did you buy this vehicle?
    The odd 4by trip and used to tow the boat and needed a 4 door...
    As well as having a project something to play with and learn about 4x4's

How often do you go offroad?
    Not as often as ide like but often enough that its usually dirty :rolleyes:

What will your next vehicle be?
    Something with a bit more go...

Ive had the truck for almost a year now I'll back-date some of the bigger points in the build

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  2. Mitchmate

First up was the rust that was on the truck small areas but if left un-attended could have become an issue long term, so front rad panel was a bit rotted out so apart it came to repair the rust patches and re-spray the front
    IMG_7003.JPG
    There was some spidering and surface rust starting to show through on the roof so that got a go over whilst i was at it along with the old chipped windscreen that had slowly cracked over time so that was out too!
    IMG_7005.JPG
    A few months after this i got a bit close to a tree up the watagans one day and rubbed the tub against it fairly nasty so off comes the tub, at this point i was trying to get a good steel dual cab tray but alas nothing local appeared so it was decided to repair the factory tub.
    IMG_7007.JPG Whilst that was off the back of the cab got a spray up and repairs to the cab where something had rubbed againsted it over time i'm thinking the old canopy it had on it, it sat a lot closer than the newer one...
    IMG_7008.JPG
    As time went by i started going through it mechanically and it wasn't as good as it all initially looked when i bought it... In saying that nothing ever failed i usually got to it first, all the major running gear has been rebuilt and replaced largely.
    On a side note and i dont mean to start the old debate ive got an ARB air locker fitted to a center already waiting to go in, what are peoples thoughts on these ive heard very mixed things...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  3. Mitchmate

Currently how it stands, it's now finally at the stage where I can start the fun mods and improvements! image.jpeg

4. Mark167

Mark167 New Member

Very nice ute mate! 106 is by far my pick of all the hiluxes.
    also would not advise on the arb locker. adding 100+ psi to a differential can never be a good idea. besides they are worth another car!

5. Mitchmate

Thanks mate still got plans for it
    Yea I actually ended up with the lockers by chance swapped a spare axle I had for some bits and they where in the pile I was a bit hesitant on them which is why I haven't fitted them yet, the LSD is only a viscous job and is pretty much useless even when it's on the hoist it won't lock up like its supposed too... Been looking at Autolockers too liking the idea but have heard of them locking up on the road
    Mitch

6. Mark167

Mark167 New Member

Air lockers are fantastic when they work. but when things go wrong, they go wrong. agreed with the LSD and Auto lockers are probably the way to go.
    how do you like the tub? many hitch points on it?

7. Mitchmate

Well I haven't gotten it too badly stuck yet haven't needed lockers for what I'm doing just yet.....
    The tub does lack tie down points especially with the canopy on... But I have a single cab 2wd ute so I use that for work and the 4by for play haha I would have preferred a tray but I needed it at the time and couldn't wait around for a good tray to come up for sale ah well :)

8. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi Mark

I was under the impression the locker itself only recieved the 100psi not the overall differential..??????

9. Mitchmate

Yea that is correct however that 100psi is fed and sealed by two small O rings that run on the carrier which leak and go bad over time and then the air will naturally find the path of least resistance and leak into the housing which can blow seals out etc
    That's my understanding of it anyways and they are a pain to replace the seals whole centre has to come out etc... Not the best idea in my books everything hinges on the condition of two 80 cent o rings when you think about it...
    Open to correction
    Mitch

Mark167 likes this.
  10. Mark167

Mark167 New Member

I read a thread of a mechanic saying the o rings are impossible to get if they decay and almost all the time ARB will make you purchase a brand new locker. Not sure if the do this to everyone but they did this to a mechanic so who knows.

11. Mitchmate

Yea I've heard stories too not plugging or anything but the boys at ARB at Hamilton in Newcastle are always pretty good
    In other news took it for a run up to Stockton Beach today image.jpeg

Mark167 and barnsey062 like this.
  12. Mitchmate

About time I did an update geez... Ok been slowly doing some more work on the hilux after the memorable Gardens of Stone trip when the truck decided it was time for a sleep, and an altercation with a big rut up the Watagans and the many sectioned repairs and bush pin striping ide had enough of the multi-White hilux... That and along with yet more rust coming up in the bottom of the doors and having fitted surf mirrors the old door mirror mounts where patched and filled... image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Next up drawers, anyone else running those Titan drawers from the SupaCentre for the price I'm thinking about them just not a fan of how shallow they are

Aaron Schubert and Michael Baker like this.
  13. underdog

underdog Well-Known Member

Keep an eye on gumtree/ebay while you're looking mate. I regularly see good quality drawers going pretty cheap. If it wasn't for my needs being so specific, I'd have bought at least 3 sets already haha. Happy hunting!

tankbloke and Mitchmate like this.
  14. preems

preems Member

got a set of the Titans drawers in my ute, not bad for the price. Not perfect but they do the job and are fairly strong.

15. 4x4addict

4x4addict New Member

Very tidy 106 mate, I like it.

16. Mitchmate

Cheers, ive got a few updates coming soon its currently sitting in the workshop with a DTS turbo kit hanging off it and a pallet of Tough Dog suspension gear next to it heheh

17. 4x4addict

4x4addict New Member

Awesome, Its definitely on the cards for mine. Are you putting on a new kit? Whats that setting you back?

18. Mitchmate

yea i got a brand new kit through work for 2200, i had been uming and aring about it for ages until a mate of mine fitted one to his he set it up per the instructions and what a difference! his running factory exhaust intake etc! ive got a FMIC to go on it and a new exhaust too it will keep EGT's down and should go a bit better! they go just about anywhere but damn they take their time doing so...

19. 4x4addict

4x4addict New Member

Very true! Ive been looking second hand and new but am leaning towards new for peace of mind and having all correct parts. Are the instructions straight forward, is there anything that would hold you up as in require removing/modding parts. 2200 sounds a good price I'm sure it'll be a new ute to drive.

Mitchmate likes this.
  20. Mitchmate

Yea that was my thinking i sort of thought sure you can go 2nd hand but who knows what condition everything is in and oil/coolant lines go bad with time etc. I gotta be honest the instructions are, brief... which i thought was good and bad, good in a sense of they are'nt confusing but bad because they are really confusing :confused: i was pretty much expecting the old Mechano style instruction booklet with photos and diagrams but a single A4 sheet with about 22 steps was all that was there, with a good mechanical understanding its a sinch and really well designed kit, so far i havent hit any dramas aside from the exhaust manifold that had pretty much become one with the head.... i had forgotten about my build thread! thanks for digging it up i think ill have to do some updates over the weekend now!