Change background image

Best Value 4x4 Ute to Buy 2019

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Spooner, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Light the fuse and crack a cold beer :D
    Funny the Rantor didn't even get a mention lol

2. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

I see where he is coming from. I tend to agree. He does take into account, price ( Triton one of the best for your bucks), back up service ( Mazda), mechanical Navara??? Colarado??? and a couple of others????
    Ford back up service??? hmmmmm! ahhhhh! wellllll !
    Other thing is you don't have to pay a great price to go 4 wheeling, unless you want to look good, drive in comfort, go shopping at the mall, go cruising. Why bush bash, I mean really bush bash in a car worth lots of money????
    Anyone got a BT 50 single cab with tray and full aluminum canopy (back and side openings) with some good fruit like winch, pull out fridge slide, pull out kitchen (maybe), uhf, recovery points, light bars, spotties, not lifted and all that suspension and big wheel crap, to tow my small van etc. etc.:D

3. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Last year he put crap on Mitsubishi because of the 5 speed auto. He should also read the thread on here about the Triton. That only leaves the Mazda?

4. CaptainBanana

CaptainBanana Active Member

I bought the triton because objectively it should do the job and warranty should be better than Ford.... It's not. As for the 5 speed it's an old Landcruiser auto (maybe hilux too) and with the tritons narrow but meaty tourqe it works reasonably well, shifts clean and doesn't hunt much.

On a whole his videos are ok but not without fault.

5. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

I find his videos very amusing , his phone sums up a lot;)

Jaye, phs and dno67 like this.
  6. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with him - for once.

7. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

14 mins on who provides the best customer service ???

dno67 likes this.
  8. CaptainBanana

Everyone's customer service is amazing when you're buying - it falls to shit when you need something afterward.

Spooner, Jaye, discomatt and 2 others like this.
  9. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

His got a good handle on the VW club. :D

discomatt and rogerazz like this.
  10. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

Not really to do with customer service as that varies from dealer to dealer, mechanic to mechanic etc.
    More to do with back up under warranty, back up after warranty from the manufacturer.
    Just do some searches on the Holden Colorado oil problems, Fiat / Chrysler on Jeeps electrical and other problems, Ford on Ford Focus transmissions etc.etc. They all dig their heels in and manufactures pass it on to dealers who pass it back.
    Important thing for all of them is to try and get out of doing any warranty,repairs, etc. because no money in that.

dno67 likes this.
  11. phs

phs Well-Known Member

I recon he turns to that " phone " for comfort a lot

discomatt likes this.
  12. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Damb,

No one told him mitsubishi have crap window wipers.

Other than that I think he had a few good points

Ford, Holden terrible customer service ( tick )
    Hilux DPF $/):);@:&/&/ ! ( tick )
    BT50 good value ( tick )

13. CaptainBanana

Which is exactly the reasoning I used to choose my triton. Whilst I know car manufacturers will often try anything to hope you go away even I'm shocked at their warranty handling.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  14. aids84

aids84 Member

I think your problems stem from an incompetent dealer service department. All cars have their issues and manufacturers will generally pay out genuine warranty claims as long as processes are followed correctly by the dealer. I haven't seen any other Tritons with your particular fault, but i'm confident if it had presented at my workshop it would be diagnosed and rectified properly.

15. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

What I can say is where sold absolute rubbish compared to the States and at INFLATED prices....

Would be good if people vote with there feet and bought nothing until they rectify this issue,even the Tundra like the Hilux equivalent even has a V8 in it...

phs, discomatt and rogerazz like this.
  16. CaptainBanana

It was an issue that sparked recall on '14/15 outlanders, you'd think that alone may have caused them to look harder than just turning them on in the car park. Also I think the previous gen triton had a wiper recall...it's not news for Mitsubishi.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 7:10 AM
  17. CaptainBanana

The states have pretty decent lemon laws, something like 3 attempts to repair and you get your cash back ... Cars like Audi's a4 with the cvt fault ended up in mass lawsuits where as here in Oz they're on car sales being given away as unknowing owners are up for their second or third trans rebuilds. The Ford focus debacle would not have flown in the US yet the one we bought for my mum has been slipping and shuddering from new which Ford blamed in her and then tried charging her $180 for a re calibration ... Which basically induced tonnes of clutch slip at take up to hide the shudder but ultimately worsen the original fault. Australia's laws regarding lemons are a joke.

rogerazz likes this.
  18. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

The hilux equivalent is not the Tundra which is a full sized yank tank, it is the Tacoma which is only available in 2.7 petrol or an optional 3.5 v6. Yank 4x4 enthusiasts have long been jealous of our diesel variants which aren’t sold there. Be careful what you wish for.

19. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Yes and the Tacoma is a bit bigger than the Hilux but not as tough, the yanks would love to have the Hilux. Isn’t it funny how the grass is always greener.......

cam04 likes this.
  20. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

Well give it to them , ah no hang on Toyota wouldn't dare sell a car with the know issues the Hilux has in a country with tough lemon laws, imagine how much that would cost them:eek:

Albynsw and CaptainBanana like this.