Best trip planning app

Apps evolve and improve, on my iPad I currently have Hema 4WD and Hema Explorer, Camperx, WikiCamps, GAIA and of course Google maps
I am planning a trip from Perth to the Kimberleys for 7 weeks next year and want to map out the places we want to see/stay and to work out total distance etc. , distances each day for fuel costs and fuel capability and then of course follow that trip on the iPad…. Any thoughts…

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
I typically start an Excel Spreadsheet listing the places then sorting out the order and the distances, on the blacktop Google Maps can be your friend but just keep in mind the set up / pack down each day and remember you're on holidays so make time to stop & smell the roses. I also allow a couple of days for "just in case" someone or yourself has technical issues.

Part of the spreadsheets I do include space for fuel, trying to get fuel at the most reliable places with good quality, distances travelled & food, I've never run out of food even when on the road for 30+ days using pre-prepped meals and vaccuum sealed bags ensuring that the meals are good quality and unlikely to cause illness due to contamination or thawing, etc.

Sounds like an epic trip

cheers

mikehzz

I typically start an Excel Spreadsheet listing the places then sorting out the order and the distances, on the blacktop Google Maps can be your friend but just keep in mind the set up / pack down each day and remember you're on holidays so make time to stop & smell the roses. I also allow a couple of days for "just in case" someone or yourself has technical issues.

Part of the spreadsheets I do include space for fuel, trying to get fuel at the most reliable places with good quality, distances travelled & food, I've never run out of food even when on the road for 30+ days using pre-prepped meals and vaccuum sealed bags ensuring that the meals are good quality and unlikely to cause illness due to contamination or thawing, etc.

Sounds like an epic trip

cheers
I do it that way as well. Over many trips I've found it's the best way to combine all the best resources you can find, each one doing one or two things better than anything else. Then it's all combined and tabulated into an easy to look at structure. Then I put the waypoints into the Hema Maps on Memory Map. Even then, it usually ends up as just a guide that you have to be flexible with. I like to put a column in with all the main points of interest that can be seen along the way as well. Sometimes I have a trip in mind and someone on here will mention somewhere I've never heard of, I just add it to the spreadsheet in the appropriate place. I find planning it out like that really adds to the fun and anticipation. Even though I do all that, I rarely ring and book anywhere because I never know if I'll be where I'm supposed to be at a given date and time. We often only book NP campsites almost when we arrive if there's signal.

rob_macca67

I too use excel spreadsheets to plan out my proposed trip, but I've also included the fuel usage of my vehicle over different terrains and by doing this it tells me roughly when/where to refuel along my planned route. It tells me what my average "Driving Time" speed should be to get to my next location. I also have it that I plug in how many hours per day I want to drive per day and tells me when I've exceeded that + a few other features... Its always been a work in progress as I keep changing/improving as time goes on... (example below)

The Apps(ios)/Programs that I use before and during the trip:
Google Maps & Bing Maps (satellite images)
Garmin BaseCamp
WikiCamps
PocketEarth
Mapout
OSMAnd Maps
Maps.me
(Dirt Map) - yet to really try this one out as its only new but the maps seem pretty good

Apps that I am considering in the near future:
ExplorOz Traveller
Hema 4WD Maps

Attachments

• TripPlanning.JPG
    TripPlanning.JPG
    482.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

shanegtr

I have currently been using the Hema app for the last year. Hasnt really been all that great if I'm honest, I wont be renewing the subscription for it. I'm interested in the excel versions - anyone care to share a template of what they use to save all the work in setting one up from scratch?

I have currently been using the Hema app for the last year. Hasnt really been all that great if I'm honest, I wont be renewing the subscription for it. I'm interested in the excel versions - anyone care to share a template of what they use to save all the work in setting one up from scratch?
I would be I interested in a good template too

mrgrtt123

Sounds like an epic trip

cheers

I'm doing the same, and it really is useful.

Chatty

Wikicamps is OK, but very clunky and difficult to update if you, for example, get delayed by a day or two.
The route planning in Wikicamps relies on you having internet access and you sometimes have to be creative to get it to go the way you want.

I do like the list and map functionality which is a great visual way of seeing where you're going, what's next and exploring the area around you for camp sites, places of interest, etc.
The list also allows you to split the trip into sections - be those days or whatever.

Tell it you expected fuel consumption and price for fuel and it does those calculations for you for each leg of the trip.

It's fat from perfect, but I much prefer it to a spreadsheet and you can run it simultaneously on multiple devices.
You can even upload your trip to the cloud and share it (via a link) with others, so they can see what you're planning.

Wikicamps is OK, but very clunky and difficult to update if you, for example, get delayed by a day or two.
The route planning in Wikicamps relies on you having internet access and you sometimes have to be creative to get it to go the way you want.

I do like the list and map functionality which is a great visual way of seeing where you're going, what's next and exploring the area around you for camp sites, places of interest, etc.
The list also allows you to split the trip into sections - be those days or whatever.

Tell it you expected fuel consumption and price for fuel and it does those calculations for you for each leg of the trip.

It's fat from perfect, but I much prefer it to a spreadsheet and you can run it simultaneously on multiple devices.
You can even upload your trip to the cloud and share it (via a link) with others, so they can see what you're planning.
Thanks for the info very much appreciated

CTL

I expect Wikicamps to get better with its new cashed up owners. Already some planned positive upgrades have been rumoured to be happening behind the scenes.

Triton14

I too use excel spreadsheets to plan out my proposed trip, but I've also included the fuel usage of my vehicle over different terrains and by doing this it tells me roughly when/where to refuel along my planned route. It tells me what my average "Driving Time" speed should be to get to my next location. I also have it that I plug in how many hours per day I want to drive per day and tells me when I've exceeded that + a few other features... Its always been a work in progress as I keep changing/improving as time goes on... (example below)

The Apps(ios)/Programs that I use before and during the trip:
Google Maps & Bing Maps (satellite images)
Garmin BaseCamp
WikiCamps
PocketEarth
Mapout
OSMAnd Maps
Maps.me
(Dirt Map) - yet to really try this one out as its only new but the maps seem pretty good

Apps that I am considering in the near future:
ExplorOz Traveller
Hema 4WD Maps
Mate no offence but I think there's more data there than they had on the Apollo 11 mission :p
I cant even read it............................but then I dont have to.

Reactions: CTL

rob_macca67

Mate no offence but I think there's more data there than they had on the Apollo 11 mission :p
I cant even read it............................but then I dont have to.

LOL... yeah I know, but once u understand it, it has been very helpful when planning very remote trips, especially when it comes to fuel capacity. I've kept ALL my refuelling data and what type of driving was done and I use this to my benefit... I'm a bit anal when it comes to recording data ;)

rob_macca67

I see that Garmin has abandoned BaseCamp as they are no longer updating (pity as I've been using it for years and have found it simply brilliant for trip planning; modifying tracklogs; creating a good library of all past/future trips and waypoints).

They now are promoting their new online App/program Garmin Explore where u can syc all your "new" garmin devices and share your trips and apparently trip plan... I've had a quick look and I'm not impressed at all. I will continue to keep using Basecamp as my Library and trip planning