Change background image

Best time to get on Moreton island at Christmas time?

Discussion in 'Camping Areas' started by Amanda.Saunders, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Amanda.Saunders

Amanda.Saunders New Member

Just looking for some recommendations on when to get onto Moreton Island. We are planning on staying for 8 nights over NYE 2018. We are from Sydney and so looking at possibly catching the ferry over on the 28th of Dec. We are planning on booking for the north west camping area and will possibly have around 4 cars and a camper trailer. Has anyone been over to the island around this time of year and when does it start to get busy? Are we better going to the island on the 27th Dec before all the crowds start to arrive? TIA

2. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

I imagine it will be chockers. I did Fraser Island at NYE a couple of years ago and it was horrendous. Better off going a couple of weeks before a major holiday period. But if you absolutely have to go at that time then I hope you'r a people person.

3. Superdad

Superdad Well-Known Member

Ranger is Peter Bull. Details below
    He was very helpful when I called with questions last year.

Give him a buzz

Peter Bull

Ranger

Queensland Parks and Wildlife Services
    Moreton Island National Park

Department of National Parks, Sport and Racing

----------------------------------------------------------------

P 07 3408 2710

Ben Ewa Ranger Station, Moreton Island, QLD 4025
    QPWS via Tangalooma Resort, Tangalooma, QLD 4025

4. Amanda.Saunders

Amanda.Saunders New Member

Awesome Thanks! I will give him a call!

5. Luthy

Luthy Active Member

We arrived on Morton island on the 28th, December last year and there were actually alot of camp sites available to pick from. We camped north western area. Lovely place watching the sunsets. Soft sand through the interior tho.

6. bear92

bear92 New Member

We just went over the Easter break and stayed at Comboyuro camp grounds (NW of the island) - not the time of year you are looking at but a popular time of year. The campsites were fully booked at the time and the ferries were fully booked. While the campground was fully booked there were empty sites because they only allow a set number of people in the whole campground - you don't book individual sites so you may have a heap of people on one site and others are empty. On the tracks we barely saw anybody but that may have been due to recent rain and the sand was packed down more - nobody getting stuck in the soft sand to hold people up.

Moreton is different than Fraser so you can't compare the two as far as people/vehicle numbers. Moreton numbers are smaller due to the size/frequency of the ferries