• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

Best time to buy an Oztent RV5?

John U

Hmmmm, cheers.. I'll keep looking then... I can't justify ~$600 in mats for the 2 of us (plus 3 more for the kids)..
Get one of these.
I have a megamat also. The only difference between the Dune jobby and the megamat so far has been the valves on the Dune knock off are a bit more fiddly to use. Very similar products both in appearance, and when sleeping on. Both really good.

I picked up an older RV4 with all of the accessories for $400. The fella selling it had upgraded to a van.
It has a couple of minor knicks in it but the front and side walls are basically brand new. I will need to get a new bag for it soon. I just kept my eyes on GumTree constantly. I was looking for about 4 - 6 months before this one came up. Didn't hesitate for a second when I saw it.

Neil Watts

Had the exact setup years ago, I just left the Fly permanently attached. We chose the RV5 purely as we wanted to use a queensize inflatable mattress. If I was only using mats I would have gone the RV4, it packs up smaller, is lighter and really makes a difference if your lifting it onto a raised 4WD on a regular basis. Never ever pegged it down, couldn't find a picture with the front panel on.

Attachments

cam04

If you join the myswag forum, the owner of tent world has a thread there he checks. Ask for pricing and see how he goes. Members seem pretty happy with it. I haven’t used it.

Warby

If you join the myswag forum, the owner of tent world has a thread there he checks. Ask for pricing and see how he goes. Members seem pretty happy with it. I haven’t used it.
Cheers, I'm sorted now for the tent via the friends brother. Getting it for ~$100 less than what it is listed for anywhere online at the moment so I'm happy with that :)

Warby

Get one of these.
I have a megamat also. The only difference between the Dune jobby and the megamat so far has been the valves on the Dune knock off are a bit more fiddly to use. Very similar products both in appearance, and when sleeping on. Both really good.

Cheers.. I've ordered two of the singles and will see how they go! Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not really a fussy sleeper so I'm sure ill be fine with whatever (I find the 50mm mattress in my king's swag comfortable enough...). The real test will be SWMBO.

John U

Cheers, I'm sorted now for the tent via the friends brother. Getting it for ~$100 less than what it is listed for anywhere online at the moment so I'm happy with that :)
You won’t be disappointed. They’re pretty durable and resale strong. I reckon I am the third or forth owner of the one I got and it’s still going strong.

I reckon the must have accessories are the fly and floor saver (or same sized equivalent ground sheet). The floor saver protects the tent and creates an area at the front of the tent for taking your boots off. The space is the same size as the tents verandah when it’s up.