Best time to buy an Oztent RV5?

Warby

So, after much umm'ing and ahh'ing and far too much time spent at work on google, searching this forum and many others... I have decided that my next camping setup is going to be based on an Oztent RV5.

As this will be for me, the mrs and 4 kids ranging from 10 months to 12 years, but with trips involving any combination thereof (me alone; me + a couple of kids; me + the mrs + baby; everyone; etc) I have decided the adaptability of the RV5 seems like a much better fit. Ultimately, I am looking at getting:
  • Oztent RV5
  • Peaked side walls
  • Front wall
  • Fly
  • Tagalong
  • Mesh floor
With this setup, if it's just me I'd take the RV5 alone... the mrs aswell I'd add the sidewalls, floor and front wall (she really likes having a separate enclosed space).. all of us the whole lot comes along..

My question now is though, is there a best time to buy? Does the Oztent gear regularly go on 20/25% off sales that are worth waiting for? Do particular stores have frequent / regular offers on them?

Looking at FB marketplace and gumtree I see that they don't seem to come up 2nd hand often, and when they do it's not usually at a particularly great discount and still sells quickly, so I figure I'll probably be purchasing new for these unless a bargain pops up...

Triton14

I have been in the same mind as well & nearly pulled the trigger on a 2nd hand only used a few times one for $800 that was on GTree but didnt go through with it, just have to watch out for them.
They are constantly on sale for about $1200 through the usual retailers.

I actually looked at some reviews of the RX5 & to me looks a much better tent system & you can get them with the entire tent, panels & floor for about $1800.

Have a look at those as well, for comparison

Warby

I have been in the same mind as well & nearly pulled the trigger on a 2nd hand only used a few times one for $800 that was on GTree but didnt go through with it, just have to watch out for them.
They are constantly on sale for about $1200 through the usual retailers.

I actually looked at some reviews of the RX5 & to me looks a much better tent system & you can get them with the entire tent, panels & floor for about $1800.

Have a look at those as well, for comparison

Yeah, I was considering the RX5 but they're not compatible with the RV accessories due to the zipper configuration being different. One of the main attractions of the RV5 for me is being able to use the tagalong for the kids and as they get bigger and want more space being able to upgrade the tagalong to another RV tent.

Bomber2012

Im pretty sure Snowys offer them at a good discount once a year or so, it might be worth registering as a member with Snowys as they email you letting you know of their special discounts , I registered as i was after an Exped self inflating mat and sure enough I got it at a great discount when it went on special .

Warby

Im pretty sure Snowys offer them at a good discount once a year or so, it might be worth registering as a member with Snowys as they email you letting you know of their special discounts , I registered as i was after an Exped self inflating mat and sure enough I got it at a great discount when it went on special .

Cheers! Already signed up.. will keep an eye out.

Grinbot

We recently bought an RV-5, but was waiting for specials for a while before that, so got a bit of a feel for the prices.

A discount to about $1100 (for just the RV-5 tent) comes up pretty often at Snowys, Tentworld, Anaconda etc. So probably don't pay more than that, if you can wait a month or two. That is what I paid from Tentworld.

Snowys had it at $1050 about 6-months ago. I didn't see it any cheaper than that.

We generally love the RV-5 (we came from a BlackWolf Turbo tent) but the condensation is a doosey! I guess you'll be OK with the fly - we don't have the fly.

Warby

We recently bought an RV-5, but was waiting for specials for a while before that, so got a bit of a feel for the prices.

A discount to about $1100 (for just the RV-5 tent) comes up pretty often at Snowys, Tentworld, Anaconda etc. So probably don't pay more than that, if you can wait a month or two. That is what I paid from Tentworld.

Snowys had it at $1050 about 6-months ago. I didn't see it any cheaper than that.

We generally love the RV-5 (we came from a BlackWolf Turbo tent) but the condensation is a doosey! I guess you'll be OK with the fly - we don't have the fly.

Cheers for that - $1200 seems to be about the norm, so if best case is $150 off I won't hold my breath for too long :)

Triton14

Yeah, I was considering the RX5 but they're not compatible with the RV accessories due to the zipper configuration being different. One of the main attractions of the RV5 for me is being able to use the tagalong for the kids and as they get bigger and want more space being able to upgrade the tagalong to another RV tent.
One of the things I liked about the RX5 extension is it's waterproof floor.
For memory the RV5 isn't.
Essentially can be used as an additional room or storage of bags etc.
Could be just me but that's is a bit advantage when weather turns sour.

Last edited:

Warby

One of the things I liked about the RX5 extension is it's waterproof floor.
For memory the RV5 isn't.
Essentially can me used as an additional room or storage of bags etc.
Could be just me but that's is a bit advantage when weather turns sour.
Yeah it's a shame that they didn't design it so that the tagalong worked with the RX5, but that's a deal-breaker in my case.. looks like a great tent otherwise

Warby

Turns out a good friend of mine has a brother who owns a small local camping store (try saying that 3 times fast)... and stocks the Oztent range. Have reached out and got a good price from him so I'm going to go and pick the tent up this weekend :)

To keep the Minister of War and Finance happy I'm going to purchase it in stages hah.. the basic tent & probably a decent double/queen size camping mat (any recommendations? Preferably under $300) this weekend, everything else as I need it later in the year.

I saw a thing that the Kings ground mat is just as good quality, fits well but is bigger and much cheaper than the Oztent version... so ill probably swing past a Kings store and grab one of those before I take the tent out for it's maiden trip (not even sure when that will be atm..)

Warby

I guess one more question... is it worth spending the $170ish on the Oztent fly, or am i better off/just as well off using a decent quality tarp instead?

Edit... just watched a youtube video showing the install of the fly. I like that it zips on (i'd probably just leave it connected all the time unless theres some reason not to) and suits the shape nicely.. I'll stick with the oztent fly.

stevemc181

The Oztent itself goes up fast, and depending where we are and the weather, we usually don't bother pegging it down at all for an overnighter. The Fly adds a fairbit to the setup time as it as it needs poles and pegs and flaps around a bit in the breeze, so we generally don't bother using it for overnighters unless we've got setup time on our hands. We've only had one night where condensation was an annoyance. Like wise with the peaked sidepanels etc, we only use these for stays of 2 nights or more. We love our Oztent RV5, but once you add in the accessories, you can forget the 30 second setup ;)

If you can stretch your budget, I'd highly recommend buying 2 x Exped 10 LXW Megamats rather than one queen size mat. The expeds are the ducks nuts for a comfortable night, and they pack down a lot smaller than the average self inflating mat. They also have straight sides so two can be placed together no problems.

Warby

The Oztent itself goes up fast, and depending where we are and the weather, we usually don't bother pegging it down at all for an overnighter. The Fly adds a fairbit to the setup time as it as it needs poles and pegs and flaps around a bit in the breeze, so we generally don't bother using it for overnighters unless we've got setup time on our hands. We've only had one night where condensation was an annoyance. Like wise with the peaked sidepanels etc, we only use these for stays of 2 nights or more. We love our Oztent RV5, but once you add in the accessories, you can forget the 30 second setup ;)

If you can stretch your budget, I'd highly recommend buying 2 x Exped 10 LXW Megamats rather than one queen size mat. The expeds are the ducks nuts for a comfortable night, and they pack down a lot smaller than the average self inflating mat. They also have straight sides so two can be placed together no problems.

Cheers for that - Yeah, I've had a bit of a laugh to be honest reading some of the people who seem angry that it takes them more than 30s from pulling up at camp to being ready for sleep. It's marketing. I care more about effort than time, and everything I've seen of it looks simple - no trying to find the right pole, fighting to keep it positioned just right while you slide a pole through 15 different sleeves, etc etc.

At this stage I don't think I can stretch far enough for the megamats... I'm thinking I'll grab the Wanderer self inflating mat for ~$160 at BCF to start with and get the mrs out on that a few times. I'm not a particularly fussy sleeper so it'll come down to her comfort more than mine. If she hates the wanderer mat enough I won't have to try hard to justify the megamat price :p

Toddyh

I went down the wanderer self inflating mats at one stage. Save your cash. They're cheap for a reason. The foam is not bonded which means the outer later moves independently of the foam. Bought blackwolf mats a few years back and have not looked back.

Warby

I went down the wanderer self inflating mats at one stage. Save your cash. They're cheap for a reason. The foam is not bonded which means the outer later moves independently of the foam. Bought blackwolf mats a few years back and have not looked back.
Hmmmm, cheers.. I'll keep looking then... I can't justify ~$600 in mats for the 2 of us (plus 3 more for the kids)..

Aaron Schubert

Anyone used the Dune mats from Anaconda?

Yep - I had the 80mm dune ones and they were garbage.

Ended up with two blackwolf mega deluxe ones and they were mint - almost as good as sleeping at home.

We got an RV5 many years ago second hand with almost all of the accessories for about $900, only used a couple of times.

Keep your eyes peeled!

Aaron

Warby

Yep - I had the 80mm dune ones and they were garbage.

Ended up with two blackwolf mega deluxe ones and they were mint - almost as good as sleeping at home.

We got an RV5 many years ago second hand with almost all of the accessories for about $900, only used a couple of times.

Keep your eyes peeled!

Aaron

Thats an awesome deal! I saw one pop up on FB locally for $1k with just the side panels and it was sold by the time I messaged him 30 minutes after posting.

stevemc181

The megamats come up on sale for around the $220 mark at snowys occasionally, expensive but they are worth it though. I've used the Dune 4wd mats and Oztrail mats, they are no comparison.

Paddler Ed

A queen size fitted mattress sheet fits over 2x Megamats - BUT they do rub together and make a bit of noise, so worth putting a single sheet on each one first.

Best night sleep we get is on our Megamats in our swags