Best suspension for corrugations?

mikehzz

I'm after opinions on the best suspension and tyre setups to deal with corrugations and gibbers. I just went in and out of the Simpson via the western side and the roads were a real shocker. The rocks and corrugations were unbelievable, real car wreckers. Has anyone found a combination that they are happy with?

Albynsw

I thought you were buying a new bus, still spending coin on the old one?

Mike I think the problem you will have with responses is that the same brand item will be completely different on different vehicle makes as they will be valued/ tuned differently
I have found OME to be like driving on a wet sponge and Bilstein to be jarring hard and yet others say the opposite but on different brand vehicles

mikehzz

My little anecdote about the Pajero elsewhere happened during research into their 4wd systems. I ended up buying a low kilometre NX poverty pack a few months back, the Landy is no more. My wife is devastated, the Pajero rides like junk compared to the Land Rover. Still, it has a lot of good points and is a pretty honest tourer. I'm not interested in rock crawling anymore.

boobook

Mike, I don't know how much this helps. But I had a similar problem with my 200. Mainly fade and too much bouncing at the front.

I tried several combinations of springs and shockers, but in the end the best combination was Bilsteins and King Springs by quite a margin. Even then I was never really happy with it. I really think most of the problem was weight at the front and too much of that weight being too far forward over the front. I had an ARB bullbar. ARB claim the bar is 84kg but it weighed in at 103KG plus winch plus battery.

In my new 200, I got the same suspension but with a smart bar. I still have a winch and spare battery. But the vehicle handles so much better in the scollops in sand. Chalk and Cheese.

Albynsw

Nice one Mike. Yes I bet it is a billy cart compared to the Landy
If I was you :oops: my first phone call would be to Ultimate Suspension at Minto. They were very active on the Triton forums and also have/ had a Pajero.
I am very happy with their gear on my 79 and done over 200,000k on it.
Their pricing is very reasonable as well I think and you will get a setup tuned to your requirements

RBJET

I had the same on my Prado and found it harsh but think it was over sprung.
Now have the Billies and Kings on my BT and find it fantastic with a bit of extra weight.

Neddysmith

I did a bit of research about 12mth ago for new suspension on the Ranger and ended up with Billies and King springs up front with Fulcrum leaves in the back and very happy with them, coming from the original 100k old OME i dont have much to compare to but am happy with the ride, did hte Ooodnadatta and Mareenie loop last year and they handled it no problems.

Kippie

I run TJM XGS gold suspension system with Cooper STmaxx on 29 psi front and 33 psi rear and about 300 kg load in the ute tray. It runs very smoothly across corrugations of all shapes and sizes doing 60-80 km/hr.

Spooner

Ring around the wreckers mate, plenty of Suspension Bits & Accessories off write off's going cheap :)
Dunno if that's a good thing or bad thing ?
Even if you spend a wad, my guess is that it's still going to end up being an average improvement at best.
Ask @sharkcaver how his mega buck setup went ;)

IMGP7987.JPG

Rhett HS

I'm after opinions on the best suspension and tyre setups to deal with corrugations and gibbers. I just went in and out of the Simpson via the western side and the roads were a real shocker. The rocks and corrugations were unbelievable, real car wreckers. Has anyone found a combination that they are happy with?
What suspension is on the vehicle right now and how old is it?
How is the vehicle loaded?
Are you on the pajero facebook group?

Last edited:

Cokedaddy216

We run BP51 on two hilux & find them very good on corrugation , priced Kings bypass for the dmax as they bypass seem to be the best setup for that kinda caper :p

mikehzz

What suspension is on the vehicle right now and how old is it?
How is the vehicle loaded?
Are you on the pajero facebook group?
It's an NX 2015 Pajero, not overloaded and I'm anti facebook. The suspension is stock standard, tyres are near new Bridgestone 697 AT's that came with the car.

Rhett HS

It's an NX 2015 Pajero, not overloaded and I'm anti facebook. The suspension is stock standard, tyres are near new Bridgestone 697 AT's that came with the car.
Is your assessment at this stage based on semi-worn shocks that have done X(?) kms?

I have seen pajero owners report that the monocoque paj isnt as nice over heavy corrugations as the previous ladder chassis version.

I see a fair chunk liking bilsteins and lovells i think from memory, and since they would be the most expensive option and people are forking for them i might assume they are considered the best? Two or three brand combinations seem to get the most nods.

If its not bottoming out and you dont need or want heavy duty coils, and you like comfort, consider sticking with the std coils.

In a significant proportion of circumstances the optimum setup for corrugations would involve heavy duty coils and shocks and softened swaybars, but most people these days are obsessed with anti-sway and dont care about comfort or off road performance or stressing the chassis or whether their partner wants to come along.

Last edited:

cam04

I’d be going for p rated all terrains rather then LT’s to keep the unsprung weight down and an adjustable (air) rear end to keep the IRS in alignment when loaded.

Colly18

I’d be going for p rated all terrains rather then LT’s to keep the unsprung weight down and an adjustable (air) rear end to keep the IRS in alignment when loaded.
To be honest the best vehicle I have had on corrugations was a 2010 SsangYong Actyon Dual cab 4X4, double wishbone/MacPherson strut
front, 5 link /live rear axle coil sprung suspension. I ran King springs in the rear for a 40mm lift + air bags (which allowed me to get the ute level when loaded and by chance I guess helped dampen the affects of corrugations?). Anyway It worked well. Rear shocks were Ultima (and despite not being a top brand, did the job well). I tried King coils on the front and they were useless, sagging in no time, so I went with Pedders front coils and they were spot on.
I must admit I've had a good run out of Pedders coil springs (on a Disco one +SsangYong Actyon), Gabriel Ultra Heavy Duty shocks (Disco one + RG Colorado). Not the expensive stuff many go for, but they seem to have served me well in a combination of 4 wheel driving and touring over many thousands of km's.

Last edited:

cam04

I’ve been reading all about the new Sanyong twin cab today. The Koreans have come a fair way and at the price point they are interesting. It’s not like marquis brands are giving us much love at the moment.

Lost1?

Bilstein shocks are the popular choice for the Pajero. Sharkcaver has a blog Caning on the Canning. Check out how much abuse the bilstein copped and kept working when others failed spectacularly.

Some run lovells all round others run kings in the rear. The progressive rate spring in the rear gives a slightly improved ride. Join the Pajero forum. Plenty of good info there. Good luck