Best polish for pinstripes and scratches

Lewy_88

Can anyone reccomend a polish or another treatment to best remove (or make less obvious) the many pinstripes and scratches I have in my black paint?

I saw another post on the forum recomemding Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Is this still the best option?

I have used a cheapo wax in the past and it helped for a short period of time.

Paint the car white maybe? haha. No not an option.

billolga

Can anyone reccomend a polish or another treatment to best remove (or make less obvious) the many pinstripes and scratches I have in my black paint?

I saw another post on the forum recomemding Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Is this still the best option?

Guess why I always have white ones apart from being 10 deg cooler inside?

Chatty

Some rave about it, I've tried it and wasn't rapt - it was ok, but not brilliant. McGuirs have a good scratch removal polish but it can be a bit abrasive if you're not careful.

discomatt

I have found for dark colors the colored polish works well at hiding the pinstripes but it doesn't last the longest so needs re doing every 6 months

CaptainBanana

I think you'll find most hand scratch removers are silicone based and are just fillers that wash off in no time. To actually remove them you need a mild cut which usually means using a polisher but it's not for the inexperienced. Also if your car had been cut before or resprayed or is late model and painted with water based paints you may not have enough on there to risk it in the first instance. I think with 4x4s your best bet is never polish until it's time to sell and then use a PROFESSIONAL detailer who will check paint thickness in microns and decide if there's enough there to risk removing material.

Failing that just use a hand applied Filler like Meguirs scratch x or some of the better products found at places like car care products.

I bought a white car which I hate to avoid seeing all the marks...its a good compromise.

Wheresmycat

Failing that just use a hand applied Filler like Meguirs scratch x or some of the better products found at places like car care products.
I've used Meguirs Sratch X on my ute. Does a great job of filling pinstripes and hiding the marks left from my a$$h@le neighbour leaning on everyones car in the street (except his of course) to have a late night smoke:mad:

Reactions: phs

phs

Hi mate,

When i want to get out a fair few pinstripes
I use Meguires ultimate compound ( it's there full panel version of X scratch )

And then autoglym super resin polish.

As good as it gets prior to mechanical aid / shop work.

If it's a regular thing I would not recommend X scratch or ultimate compound, just Autoglym claybar with lube and super resin polish after

Aza013

At the end of the day these scratches say "hay look, I use my 4x4 as it was made to be used"
It's no soccer mums car lol

Allansson

With a 4x4 I don't think that it's makes sense to worry about scratches, this cars are meant to be used in harsh environments not to look good. An article from https://atfulldrive.com/e3-spark-plugs-vs-ngk says the opposite though and I think that you guys also have more experience in this field than me. I am gonna start polishing my car before hitting the bush from now on. I am actually quite curious what result it will give. My car is relatively new and keeping the paint intact for at least some time should be a priority.

Last edited:

ipch

I like to polish my cars before heading bush as I believe the shiny and more slippery surface allows the scratchy stuff to slide off easier. Not an exact solution but I believe it works for me.

smitty_r51

I like to polish my cars before heading bush as I believe the shiny and more slippery surface allows the scratchy stuff to slide off easier. Not an exact solution but I believe it works for me.
I do the same, dirt and mud don't start sticking so quickly either.

Plus it makes for a good before and after photo

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Old thread, but a good cutting compound and machine buff is going to be needed to do decent pinstriping.
Should be enough paint on a good vehicle for at least 5, 6 ? such polishes, why I never did the Ranger more than about 3 times in 10 years.
Did paint some of it from animal strikes, track damage, so those parts have loads of clearcoat to enable some more rigid buffing.
Cutting compound is needed, not swirl remover, or final polish . . . the finer stuff will be needed to get rid of compound swirl marks afterwards, can be done with new pad, or by hand afterwards.

Bru9

Sorry but you are simply SOL! That is why I only ever buy a white or silver car. Define polish? Polish means microscopic abrasives levelling down the paint. But in the world of car care products it can mean alot of magical things that get over exaggerated by all the detailing crowd.

If the scratches are simply swirl, like caused by rubbing the paint with a tea towl etc, you can remove them by a lite cut (M105 on orange-white lake country pad) with a D/A polisher, but you run the risk of the paint being to thin because they put the least amount of paint they can get away with.

The problem with wax is it lasts about 3weeks in the elements so becomes baby sitting.

Oh, I see this post is old...

Grippy

My black paint had a fair few pinstripes and covered in filth after the Simmo. I buzzed it through the local laser wash then took it to the local Indian handwash mob, 65 bucks for a wash and polish by a team and she looked like new.

Rusty Panels

This is an old post but, I must say that I have used heaps of different car polishes over the years and the best so far is the Autoglym Super Resin. I polished my wife's Veloster about 6 months ago and it still beads up very well. It helps keep the paint clean and stops bug guts from sticking to some extent.